Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Can Tebow be a John Riggins type RB?

  1. #41
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Threads like this are why Fans get a bad reputation.

    No, Tim Tebow cannot be a HOF-Quality RB a la Riggo.

    Yes, Tin Tebow could, if willing, to an asset in the running game.

    /facepalm

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Can anyone else see him as a John Riggins type back? He has the size, speed, and running ability to scare the sh*t out of defenses. Plus, they'll have to repect his ability to throw.

    It could work.
    No.

    For the same reason Michael Vick would be lucky to get 2.0 ypc as a starting rb. His and Tebow's games are predicated on the fact that defenses at least initially have to play them as passers with DB's going back into coverage.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Can anyone else see him as a John Riggins type back? He has the size, speed, and running ability to scare the sh*t out of defenses. Plus, they'll have to repect his ability to throw.

    It could work.
    You realize that Riggins was a great RB, that was one of the toughest players in the NFL ever. Did you see Tebow run last year? The guy is great at running for a qb. That is like comparing Troy Brown to Revis.

  4. #44
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sure, RBs who run a 4.7 40 generally turn out to be very productive.
    I don't think Riggins would touch 4.7 in the 40. Tebow is not a good runner just because he's in the option. He drags guys...kind of like Riggins. Anyone remember SB 17? They had like 12 guys in the box, but they could not stop him from getting 4, or 5 yards every carry, dragging Olineman. Must have been completely demoralizing. I can see where the op is coming from. Would he do it? That's the Question.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I don't think Riggins would touch 4.7 in the 40. Tebow is not a good runner just because he's in the option. He drags guys...kind of like Riggins. Anyone remember SB 17? They had like 12 guys in the box, but they could not stop him from getting 4, or 5 yards every carry, dragging Olineman. Must have been completely demoralizing. I can see where the op is coming from. Would he do it? That's the Question.
    Riggins was state champ in the 100 yd dash twice in high school and broke the 100 yd dash record previously held by Gale Sayers, I think that puts him in the sub 4.5 range, dude. He was fast as lightening and big

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is certainly feasible for Tebow to be a productive RB during play action lined up as a H-Back, but no one has ever seen him run from a set position in the backfield with one less person blocking for him up front. It is not that he shown great vision in the hole, or quick get up to speed, or the abilty to make people miss on any type of consistent basis.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO


    and along with a runner, Riggins was also a vastly superior passer of the football than Tebow with way better mechanics

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Riggins was state champ in the 100 yd dash twice in high school and broke the 100 yd dash record previously held by Gale Sayers, I think that puts him in the sub 4.5 range, dude. He was fast as lightening and big
    In highschool maybe. I think he ran a 4.6 when he was with the Jets but by superbowl 17 there's no way he was touching a 4.7. I watched him play, and he was fast for his size, but not that fast.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    In highschool maybe. I think he ran a 4.6 when he was with the Jets but by superbowl 17 there's no way he was touching a 4.7. I watched him play, and he was fast for his size, but not that fast.
    I watched him play also, and I tend to think he always ran at least a 4.5, you ever notice how guys couldnt run him down from behind? I'm gonna google it

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    In highschool maybe. I think he ran a 4.6 when he was with the Jets but by superbowl 17 there's no way he was touching a 4.7. I watched him play, and he was fast for his size, but not that fast.
    Sounds like youre right, you must have googled it before me...Riggo was my first favorite Jet in the early 70's, used to play tackle with my neighborhood buddies in my Jets Riggins uniform, those were the days

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us