Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are the 2012 jets the best roster of the rex ryan era ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    God I hope not: the offense is a mess.
    1) Average QB - no viable backup
    2) Below average receivers including one nutcase
    3) Enormous hole at RT on OL.
    4) Below average to poor RB corp
    5) No depth on DL/LB corp from pass rush perspective
    6) Below average safeties.

None of this is Rex's fault. Tanny is to blame.
    we still need a HEALTHY ort

Hall Of Fame
    Of course this year's team is the best. What a stupid question.

This is the end of July. All of our high draft picks are future hall of fame players and the rest of them are all diamonds in the rough and future solid contributors.

All of our UDFAs and free agent pickups will massively over perform their contracts and any player currently coming off an injury will meet or exceed the best form of their profession careers. Oh, and once they are back healthy again those players will remain healthy all year.

2nd, 3rd and 4th year players will all blossom and fulfill or exceed the aspirations for them in the spot where they were picked (late bloomers doncha know ). Any changes in the coaching staff will completely reinvent the landscape and performences of the unit or units affected.

All malcontents will become content. All locker room discord will evaporate. Bad apples will become firm and green again. All players the the front office wishes to resign will indeed be resigned and the team will be able to do that while securing handsome home town discounts

How can such a team not be the greatest of all time?

It happens to us every year
    Last edited by EM31; 07-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.

I still want to say 2010 was the best roster Rex Ryan has had. However, this is before we've seen the 2012 Jets play a down. As much as most of us were fooled by all the subtle tweaks in the roster that caused us to fall to 8-8 last season, we could also be fooled by the 2012 Jets roster.

They've definitely done some nice things with the roster for this season. But the one thing that keeps haunting me is the RT spot. I'm scared Wayne Hunter will not be able to hold down the spot. Jeff Otah could be a negated trade at this point. To my knowledge, he has one more day to pass his physical?

So it's really that spot that scares me the most. And of course out of that comes the running game.

So those areas should concern just about every Jets fan, but this could be completely ridiculous. Just like 2009, I never thought they were capable of what they did in the playoffs that season, they could be capable of great things in 2012.

God I hope not: the offense is a mess.
    1) Average QB - no viable backup
    2) Below average receivers including one nutcase
    3) Enormous hole at RT on OL.
    4) Below average to poor RB corp
    5) No depth on DL/LB corp from pass rush perspective
    6) Below average safeties.

None of this is Rex's fault. Tanny is to blame.
    If you really think that Rex has no say in building this team you are being naive. Tannenbaum is an idiot, but he gets Rex what REX wants.

IMO 2009 was the best roster (inherited from Mangini) with Jenks, Faneca, Woody, TJ, Bray, Washington, Rhodes, and Lowery. With Jenks we collapsed the pocket from the inside causing pressure up the middle and preventing the QB from stepping up. We lacked that with Pouha and Devito. With Jones we had a grinder at RB who didn't fumble and were able to bring Greene in late in the game when the D was tired. Leon was amazing on 3rd down and with screens. Rhodes was a great centerfielder. Woody/Moore was a great tandem to run behind.

This roster has Rex's fingerprints (3 out of 4 1st round pick on D) but we have been limited in FA and the draft the past few years by huge contracts and trades. I'm surprised we invested our recent top picks in a position of strength instead of OL.

We are at a point where we need our young guys and role payers to step up big time. This team is not nearly as stacked as 2009/10. However there is a lot of potential and we could have a break out season.
    Last edited by suprjet; 07-31-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    If you really think that Rex has no say in building this team you are being naive. Tannenbaum is an idiot, but he gets Rex what REX wants.
    i hope he gets rex what rex NEEDS

cheers ~ ~

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I still want to say 2010 was the best roster Rex Ryan has had. However, this is before we've seen the 2012 Jets play a down. As much as most of us were fooled by all the subtle tweaks in the roster that caused us to fall to 8-8 last season, we could also be fooled by the 2012 Jets roster.

They've definitely done some nice things with the roster for this season. But the one thing that keeps haunting me is the RT spot. I'm scared Wayne Hunter will not be able to hold down the spot. Jeff Otah could be a negated trade at this point. To my knowledge, he has one more day to pass his physical?

So it's really that spot that scares me the most. And of course out of that comes the running game.

So those areas should concern just about every Jets fan, but this could be completely ridiculous. Just like 2009, I never thought they were capable of what they did in the playoffs that season, they could be capable of great things in 2012.
    Twitter is reporting the Otah trade is off.

IMHO - the biggest problem the Jets face (roster wise) is offensive lack of talent.

QB - Sanchize isn't horrible, but he is not (and probably never will be) a superstar. With the right playmakers around him, you could win a lot of games including the Super Bowl (Dilfer anyone??). If we expect him to go Peyton Manning for the Jets, it is going to be a bad year.

But, the Jets have surrounded him with mediocre talent:

RB - Greene/McKnight - Average at best. Best case scenario is Powell or Ganaway turn out to be huge surprise.

WR - Holmes - a nutjob/quitter with above average talent. He is not a superstar who takes over games. Good teams can take him out of games with their No 1 CB and a little safety help now and then.

WR - Kerley - decent slot back, but nothing special. Third WR on a good team.

WR - Hill - looks like a good pick in the 2nd round, but rookie WR's tend to struggle in the NFL. Even Calvin Johnson only had 4 TD as a rookie. IMHO - he is the only offensive skill player with HUGE upside with All Pro size and speed. If he can force teams to cover him with their No 1 CB, Holmes can do things.

TE - Keller - good, but not great. Not going to take over a game with Sanchize throwing passes.

OL - Huge hole at RT and no depth.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 07-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Twitter is reporting the Otah trade is off.

IMHO - the biggest problem the Jets face (roster wise) is offensive lack of talent.

QB - Sanchize isn't horrible, but he is not (and probably never will be) a superstar. With the right playmakers around him, you could win a lot of games including the Super Bowl (Dilfer anyone??).

But, the Jets have surrounded him with mediocre talent:

RB - Greene/McKnight - Average at best. Best case scenario is Powell or Ganaway turn out to be huge surprise.

WR - Holmes - a nutjob/quitter with above average talent. He is not a superstar who takes over games. Good teams can take him out of games with their No 1 CB and a little safety help.

WR - Kerley - decent slot back, but nothing special. Third WR on a good team.

WR - Hill - looks like a good pick in the 2nd round, but rookie WR's tend to struggle. IMHO - he is the only offensive skill player with HUGE upside.

TE - Keller - good, but not great. Not going to take over a game with Sanchize throwing passes.

OL - Huge hole at RT and no depth.
    This post conflicts with DWC's world view and so you sir must be a negative Nancy, the sky is falling same old Jets fan.

No way. Two years older in may positions, also means a step or two slower. Sanchez is not given the chance to mesh with his receivers, lucky to make 8-8 .

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    This post conflicts with DWC's world view and so you sir must be a negative Nancy, the sky is falling same old Jets fan.
    Who is DWC?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    No way. Two years older in may positions, also means a step or two slower. Sanchez is not given the chance to mesh with his receivers, lucky to make 8-8 .
    10 ... 11 wins

Veteran
    sheesh... we haven't even played the season yet.

Hall Of Fame
    If Cromartie is right, Jets are in trouble

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...are-in-trouble

Hall Of Fame
    Who is DWC?
    I forget the new name for the oft banned and recently let out of jail in the JI version of the Mariel boalift "amnesty" for previous offenders. DefenseWinsChampionships2 or simply DWC2 was his most recent banned nickname but it was not his first here, nor his first at pretty much everywhere else.

Typically he is on these boards 23.5 hours a day. Most often pens meandering War and peace length posts filled with stats which lead inexorably to the same conclusion. That the current Jets teams is the greatest team of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    IMO 2009 was the best roster (inherited from Mangini) with Jenks, Faneca, Woody, TJ, Bray, Washington, Rhodes, and Lowery. With Jenks we collapsed the pocket from the inside causing pressure up the middle and preventing the QB from stepping up. We lacked that with Pouha and Devito. With Jones we had a grinder at RB who didn't fumble and were able to bring Greene in late in the game when the D was tired. Leon was amazing on 3rd down and with screens. Rhodes was a great centerfielder. Woody/Moore was a great tandem to run behind.

This roster has Rex's fingerprints (3 out of 4 1st round pick on D) but we have been limited in FA and the draft the past few years by huge contracts and trades. I'm surprised we invested our recent top picks in a position of strength instead of OL.

We are at a point where we need our young guys and role payers to step up big time. This team is not nearly as stacked as 2009/10. However there is a lot of potential and we could have a break out season.
    Very true.

On paper the present squad is pretty much as Digety presents it. However, the Jets have brought in a lot of fresh talent, youth and experience at various positions. Things could turn out very differently if the Jets start firing on more cylinders this season.

The jury's still out on this one. Certainly the Jets will need to shore up the RT. This year might turn out to perform above the 2009 & 2012 squad. However neither of those 2 had as glaring a need (real and perceived) as this year's team at the RT position. Hope to God Jets sort it out real soon.