Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Just Called Himself "The Greatest Defensive Coach in Football"

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    YepAs far as the quote itself, who the hell cares?
    because it brings more media attention which we dont need. he could of said he was a very good defensive mind, not the best. he needs to chose his works carefully.

what are the odds by the end of camp he goes back to guaranteeing super bowls?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I could care less if he says it in every post, but he's absolutely correct in saying that Rex knows more about football than anyone on this board.

Would take an unbelievable amount of arrogance and narcissism to argue that fact.
    Except my post did not contain the word "football."

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Yep, our 5th ranked DEFENSE was trash..

As far as the quote itself, who the hell cares?
    It's not what he said but that he actually said it.

The only thing Rex Ryan said this entire offseason that was positive was that he realized that he inadvertently put a target on his players backs and the fans backs because of his big mouth. That what he thought was taking the pressure off the team and putting it on himself had the opposite effect and bothered the players and was a distraction and fired up the other team.

Here he goes again. Bulletin board fodder for the competition, a frustrating head-roll for his team and their fans.

He's a clown and I'm sick of dealing with this nonsense. Day 1 of camp, already I'm pissed off. Going to have Giants fans flash their f-cking t-shirts in my face tonight at baseball practice, tell me how Rex Ryan is the greatest defensive mind in the NFL. Enough.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'd say theres a good chance that he adds another #1 defense to his resume this year. That unit is going to be really good, talented and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

The only thing Rex Ryan said this entire offseason that was positive was that he realized that he inadvertently put a target on his players backs and the fans backs because of his big mouth. That what he thought was taking the pressure off the team and putting it on himself had the opposite effect and bothered the players and was a distraction and fired up the other team.

Here he goes again. Bulletin board fodder for the competition, a frustrating head-roll for his team and their fans.

He's a clown and I'm sick of dealing with this nonsense. Day 1 of camp, already I'm pissed off. Going to have Giants fans flash their f-cking t-shirts in my face tonight at baseball practice, tell me how Rex Ryan is the greatest defensive mind in the NFL. Enough.

SAR I
    Except this isn't like predicting Superbowl wins or dethroning the Patriots...

This actually has truth to it. Truth that is backed up by what kind of defenses he's fielded in the last decade...

All League
    I want that action. $100 good?

SAR I
    Booked. Seriously.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Except this isn't like predicting Superbowl wins or dethroning the Patriots...

This actually has truth to it. Truth that is backed up by what kind of defenses he's fielded in the last decade...
    Truth or not. It's something that can be debated.

And even if it is true, why does he feel the need to toot his own horn?

These are comments that OTHER people make ABOUT you.

In any event, these are the kinds of statements that don't need to be made publicly.

I have to agree with Scott on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Truth or not. It's something that can be debated.

And even if it is true, why does he feel the need to toot his own horn?

These are comments that OTHER people make ABOUT you.

In any event, these are the kinds of statements that don't need to be made publicly.

I have to agree with Scott on this one.
    I still don't take issue with it...

You can call him a narcissist at best...

But the coach to the north is lauded for his narcissism...

To each his own, I guess...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I still don't take issue with it...

You can call him a narcissist at best...

But the coach to the north is lauded for his narcissism...

To each his own, I guess...
    Perhaps.

I actually think narcissism has a lot to do with it. You're right.

The difference is, BB doesn't write copy for bulletin boards. Ryan does.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

SAR I
    He's hell of a lot better than Bill Cowher. No way Cowher beats the Chargers, Colts, and Pats on the road in the playoffs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Funny how things go... Jets "Fans" loved Mangini at first, then started to rip him for anything he said or did.

Now Rex gets the same treatment despite being the 2nd best head coach this franchise has ever had. Even considering Weeb had an alltime quarterback while Rex has Sanchez.

I'm pretty confident Rex can coach a team to a super bowl as long as the QB play is good enough and that's all I want from a coach. There is no such thing as a coach who can win super bowls regardless of the QB. Because we have a coach capable of winning it all, I hope he wins for the sake of some ****ing continuity around this team. Continuity allows for consistent winning.
    True but depending on the quality of the rest of the team the QB bar can be set fairly low...Trent Dilfer comes to mind. I almost think Tebow might be as good as Dilfer given his other abilities outside of passing.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of War 599 View Post
    He's hell of a lot better than Bill Cowher. No way Cowher beats the Chargers, Colts, and Pats on the road in the playoffs.
    Rex Ryan 2009 was a great coach, his players adored him, they'd run through a wall for him, he had fantastic results.

Rex Ryan 2011 was a poor coach, his players turned on him, they played beneath their capabilities, they had a terrible season.

Rex Ryan 2012 is not the head coach this team needs. They're an undisciplined group who play with no sense of urgency. Rex is still here, fine, but he's not acting like someone the players will respect. Again.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I'd say theres a good chance that he adds another #1 defense to his resume this year. That unit is going to be really good, talented and deep.
    Can you please explain this to me, because I don't get it.

Last year's D was below average, they didn't give 100% effort, they allowed ridiculously long drives in crucial games against good/weak competition, they didn't beat a team with a winning record, they didn't have a pass rush, couldn't stop Denver on the 1, couldn't stop the Giants on the 1, and on and on.

This year, we lost a few guys and gained a few rookies and picked up a few high-risk FA JAGS that couldn't stay healthy on their previous teams. I don't see this stellar improvement. Can you tell me what I'm missing?

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 07-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I have it as 2012 Week 8. We'll be 2-5 heading into the Miami game at home, Sparano ready to go.

SAR I
    I'll take that action. $100 good?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'll take that action. $100 good?
    No, that's a bit high-risk compared to the 2014 layup. You can come back here and make fun of me in Week 9 if I'm wrong, should be fun.

SAR I

All League
    What's a good price for week 8? Realistically there'd be no value for me since the likelihood of it occurring would be < 50-1.

All Pro
    You guys are nuts. He was joking. It's obvious that he was implying that Belicheck, and Lebeau were hall of famers, and that he wasn't in the same class. Maybe fishing for a compliment, but not boasting. He also said he was better looking than Tebow. The guy never ever brags about himself. He brags about his team, his coaches, and his players. Never himself.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You guys are nuts. He was joking. It's obvious that he was implying that Belicheck, and Lebeau were hall of famers, and that he wasn't in the same class. Maybe fishing for a compliment, but not boasting. He also said he was better looking than Tebow. The guy never ever brags about himself. He brags about his team, his coaches, and his players. Never himself.
    He was not joking. The exact quote:

“You know what? I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football,” Ryan said via the New York Daily News. “That’s saying something because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good. Bill Belichick is pretty good. But that’s the way I’ve always believed. And you know what? I believe it because (of) the guys I coach with, there’s no doubt about that. And the guys I’ve coached. But that’s the truth. That’s kind of how I feel."

Later, he added: "If it was a spelling bee, I'd bet against me," he added later. "If it's anything else—a fight, coaching football—I'm betting on me."

Same ol' Rex.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    What's a good price for week 8? Realistically there'd be no value for me since the likelihood of it occurring would be < 50-1.
    No way. No one would take that bet at 50-1. I'd put up my house 50-1 odds Rex isn't fired by week 16. More like 1000-1 and it's still a good bet. What would have to happen for them to fire a coach mid season? I don't think it's ever happened on the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He was not joking. The exact quote:

“You know what? I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football,” Ryan said via the New York Daily News. “That’s saying something because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good. Bill Belichick is pretty good. But that’s the way I’ve always believed. And you know what? I believe it because (of) the guys I coach with, there’s no doubt about that. And the guys I’ve coached. But that’s the truth. That’s kind of how I feel."

Later, he added: "If it was a spelling bee, I'd bet against me," he added later. "If it's anything else—a fight, coaching football—I'm betting on me."

Same ol' Rex.

SAR I
    If that's the quote, that's definitely not joking.