Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Just Called Himself "The Greatest Defensive Coach in Football"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He was not joking. The exact quote:

“You know what? I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football,” Ryan said via the New York Daily News. “That’s saying something because Dick LeBeau is pretty darn good. Bill Belichick is pretty good. But that’s the way I’ve always believed. And you know what? I believe it because (of) the guys I coach with, there’s no doubt about that. And the guys I’ve coached. But that’s the truth. That’s kind of how I feel."

Later, he added: "If it was a spelling bee, I'd bet against me," he added later. "If it's anything else—a fight, coaching football—I'm betting on me."

Same ol' Rex.

SAR I
    Well I guess so. I hadn't read the quote. My bad there, but it doesn't really make sense. He's the best coach because of the guys he coached with, and the guys he's coached? I think somebody misheard, missaid, or he tried to unsay it or something.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well I guess so. I hadn't read the quote. My bad there, but it doesn't really make sense. He's the best coach because of the guys he coached with, and the guys he's coached? I think somebody misheard, missaid, or he tried to unsay it or something.
    Maybe that's one reason Rex should just stick to coaching and do less talking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are a bunch of p()ssies.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You guys are a bunch of p()ssies.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Maybe that's one reason Rex should just stick to coaching and do less talking.
    You may have a point. He should learn to mumble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Nicely done. Did you attend the 32green School For Teh Internetz?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see nothing wrong with what he said at all. He's probably right, in terms of strategy.

Belichick's defenses have been awful with New England the last few years and LeBeau's schemes are starting to be exploited.

As long as Rex doesn't guarantee anything or say that he is best OVERALL coach. I;m fine with it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say he is one of if not the best defensive coach in football

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    He's right.

Belichick is clearly a far better HC but hasn't fielded a top notch defense in years. LeBeau and a few other guys are probably in the conversation but you can make a great argument that Rex is the top defensive mind in the game.
    +1 Who would you rather have coaching defense than Rex Ryan?

the zones, false mans and whatnot he threw at Brady in 2011 playoffs were a thing of beauty.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree, but the point is that his players have given him the strong message that they don't like his antics in the media and the position it puts them in.

We know what's happened in the past, how other teams use his quotes to get themselves fired up. The Patriots and Giants both got that extra push from Rex, helped contribute to our disastrous season.

More importantly, Rex himself called this out as his key learning and that he realized that by making these comments to "put the target on me and take the pressure off the players" that instead "it put the pressure on them and I didn't realize it". He promised he would stop this stuff. Now he's merely a liar.

As a fan, I am sick of Rex Ryan humiliating the team in public like this. I cringe every time I hear him guarantee the Super Bowl, sign Tim Tebow, or now state he's the best defensive mind in the NFL. It's bothering the players and aggravating the fans. He's got to go. We waited a season too long, we're set back two years now.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    +1 Who would you rather have coaching defense than Rex Ryan?

the zones, false mans and whatnot he threw at Brady in 2011 playoffs were a thing of beauty.
    What happened in the 2011 regular season? The Patriots games weren't close, his "best defense in the NFL" gave up 67 points in the two most decisive games of the year, the gap widened.

So, the answer to your question is: "Someone who can beat the Patriots in 2012, not 2010."

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    problem is he is our HEAD coach. We needed more thannjust a D coach and perhaps the Sporano hire will allow REX to do what he does best.

BTW....anyone hear the statement? I Just HEARD it. It wasnt as bad as the press made it sound. He complimented Bellicek, LeBeau etc. REX IS LEARNING.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 07-28-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Can you please explain this to me, because I don't get it.

Last year's D was below average, they didn't give 100% effort, they allowed ridiculously long drives in crucial games against good/weak competition, they didn't beat a team with a winning record, they didn't have a pass rush, couldn't stop Denver on the 1, couldn't stop the Giants on the 1, and on and on.

This year, we lost a few guys and gained a few rookies and picked up a few high-risk FA JAGS that couldn't stay healthy on their previous teams. I don't see this stellar improvement. Can you tell me what I'm missing?

SAR I
    You're citing defensive breakdowns, every team has those. And a lot of ours were the offenses fault, the defense wouldn't have needed to stop Denver if the offense could've managed 20 points.

As far as personnel, Landry and Bell are both much better players than Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard. Not great cover guys, but they're still upgrades. And now Smith is a depth player, a good role for him.

On the defensive line, Wilkerson had a very good rookie season, he should be even better going into year 2. Reports from OTA's were really positive. Coples is on another level athletically compared to Mike Devito, who is a solid player in his own right.

Maybin made quite a few big plays for us last year, I expect more this season. And Demorrio Davis will give us some more speed at LB, he should be contributing by midseason.

The defense is stacked man

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    EVERYTHING ABOUT THE JETS SUCKS!!

LOUD NOISES!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    EVERYTHING ABOUT THE JETS SUCKS!!

LOUD NOISES!!!
    These diptards make me want to punch babies...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not what he said but that he actually said it.

The only thing Rex Ryan said this entire offseason that was positive was that he realized that he inadvertently put a target on his players backs and the fans backs because of his big mouth. That what he thought was taking the pressure off the team and putting it on himself had the opposite effect and bothered the players and was a distraction and fired up the other team.

Here he goes again. Bulletin board fodder for the competition, a frustrating head-roll for his team and their fans.

He's a clown and I'm sick of dealing with this nonsense. Day 1 of camp, already I'm pissed off. Going to have Giants fans flash their f-cking t-shirts in my face tonight at baseball practice, tell me how Rex Ryan is the greatest defensive mind in the NFL. Enough.
    t
    SAR I
    LOL

Pretty much how the board feels about you!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone would disagree, but the point is that his players have given him the strong message that they don't like his antics in the media and the position it puts them in.

We know what's happened in the past, how other teams use his quotes to get themselves fired up. The Patriots and Giants both got that extra push from Rex, helped contribute to our disastrous season.

More importantly, Rex himself called this out as his key learning and that he realized that by making these comments to "put the target on me and take the pressure off the players" that instead "it put the pressure on them and I didn't realize it". He promised he would stop this stuff. Now he's merely a liar.

As a fan, I am sick of Rex Ryan humiliating the team in public like this. I cringe every time I hear him guarantee the Super Bowl, sign Tim Tebow, or now state he's the best defensive mind in the NFL. It's bothering the players and aggravating the fans. He's got to go. We waited a season too long, we're set back two years now.

SAR I

Pathertic, lets worry about what SAR thinks we look like to others.

A Rex thread and SAR over runs it telling everyone how much Rex sucks.

Over and over again.

Shocking.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just taking the heat Off the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with what he said at all. He's probably right, in terms of strategy.

Belichick's defenses have been awful with New England the last few years and LeBeau's schemes are starting to be exploited.

As long as Rex doesn't guarantee anything or say that he is best OVERALL coach. I;m fine with it.
    Yup, I'm sure Rex could have coached up last year's Patriots group into a top-10 defense. Belichick suddenly forgot how to coach the side of the ball he's been working on for three decades. It's not like personnel matters or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Just taking the heat Off the team.
    This is my favorite excuse everytime Rex opens his mouth. He's being strategic! Deflecting attention from his players! What a genius! I'm sure that's exactly his thought process everytime he steps to the podium.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-28-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The heavy, greasy smell of refried troll is masking the effete scent of Jordy and the "Tsk, tsk" gang.