Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 152 of 152

Thread: Mehta Practice Report: Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp p

  1. #141
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk View Post
    Sanchez was awful last year in the Broncos game, Tebow was worse. It was one of the worst offensive games I have ever seen in my life. Yes Tebow led a game winning drive, but if Sanchez did anything at all in the previous 55 minutes, Tebow wouldn't have had a chance to come back.

    Why Jets fans don't want Tebow as the starter is, we have seen Sanchez have better games than that, including all 6 playoff games. With Tebow that is pretty much what you are getting.

    Yes you have a couple examples like the Vikings game and the Pittsburgh playoff game, but every other game I've seen him play was just like the Jets/Broncos game.
    Not only that, but teams learned how to stop his running game as they saw more film on him. Its not a coincidence that they lost 4 of their last 5 games. Even the Patriots vaunted defense embarrassed them.

  2. #142
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not only that, but teams learned how to stop his running game as they saw more film on him. Its not a coincidence that they lost 4 of their last 5 games. Even the Patriots vaunted defense embarrassed them.
    Too funny, Sanchez was awful in his last three games to bounce us out of the playoffs--admittedly.

    But all Tebow does is WIN!

    Like his last 3 regular season games to propel Denver into the playoffs.

    He was freaking awesome.

    WINNAR!!

    _

  3. #143
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Too funny, Sanchez was awful in his last three games to bounce us out of the playoffs--admittedly.

    But all Tebow does is WIN!

    Like his last 3 regular season games to propel Denver into the playoffs.

    He was freaking awesome.

    WINNAR!!

    _
    It is kind of like when a young player comes up to the majors and hits the hell out the ball in his first 60 at bats or so. Then the league figures out that he cant hit breaking stuff, and all he sees are curveballs in the dirt and he struggles. Now he either adapts and has the skill set necessary to be in the majors, or he gets sent back down.

    This is how I see Tebow last year. Teams were caught off guard by that offense, but once they figured out how to contain it, they forced Tebow to beat them through the air, and aside from the Pitt playoff game, he failed.

  4. #144
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It is kind of like when a young player comes up to the majors and hits the hell out the ball in his first 60 at bats or so. Then the league figures out that he cant hit breaking stuff, and all he sees are curveballs in the dirt and he struggles. Now he either adapts and has the skill set necessary to be in the majors, or he gets sent back down.

    This is how I see Tebow last year. Teams were caught off guard by that offense, but once they figured out how to contain it, they forced Tebow to beat them through the air, and aside from the Pitt playoff game, he failed.
    Not a bad analogy, but I just need to revise it a bit for Tebow.

    It was more like a rookie who hit the go ahead or game winning home run in his last at bat in every game the first 2 weeks after he was called up. And to make it more accurate for Tebow, all these final at bats were after going 0-4 with all 4 at bats being strike outs on 3 pitches thrown right down the middle.

  5. #145
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Shame on Mehta and other writers who are writing this crap.

    The media is making a QB controversy out of something that isn't.

    This is a good example of the media trying to make a story. It's day 1. Everyone relax, Rex hasn't even made a Supernowl prediction yet.
    I can see if you're a very casual football fan, religious fanatic or retard how there might be a qb controversy on the Jets.

  6. #146
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not only that, but teams learned how to stop his running game as they saw more film on him. Its not a coincidence that they lost 4 of their last 5 games. Even the Patriots vaunted defense embarrassed them.
    +1,000,000

    Teams have figured out Tebow and that's why I think his time in the NFL is up. Sure he'll stick around for several years but but he's riding pine the rest of his career and the next chance he has at starting he will be exposed.

  7. #147
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1,000,000

    Teams have figured out Tebow and that's why I think his time in the NFL is up. Sure he'll stick around for several years but but he's riding pine the rest of his career and the next chance he has at starting he will be exposed.
    Honest question -- why don't you think he can become a better version of Brad Smith? That's all I've ever pictured him as on this team. I'm sure that's not what he wants, but I gotta think he'd take it over "riding the pine" his whole career . . .

  8. #148
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- why don't you think he can become a better version of Brad Smith? That's all I've ever pictured him as on this team. I'm sure that's not what he wants, but I gotta think he'd take it over "riding the pine" his whole career . . .
    Brad Smith wasn't even good. I will never understand how Jets fans overrated that clown. He got 7 ypc one season against bad defenses like the Raiders and Dolphins? Yippee. Any time we used Smith and his gadget plays against a good defense he was shut down.

    I guess a "better version of Brad Smith" would be a mediocre NFL backup QB which in that case Tebow has already achieved that.

  9. #149
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- why don't you think he can become a better version of Brad Smith? That's all I've ever pictured him as on this team. I'm sure that's not what he wants, but I gotta think he'd take it over "riding the pine" his whole career . . .
    Brad Smith was an outstanding kick returner, made a ton of tackles on special teams and he had some value as a WR in addition to being a wildcat QB.

    Tebow ain't that guy.

    His value will be in the Spread Option only--I don't see him having much if any impact as a ruse for a fake punt or on the on-sides kickoff coverage team.

    If he decided to put on a pair of big-boy shoulder pads, change his number to the 80s and dedicate himself to being a TE he might have a very long career in the NFL.

    The guy is not a QB because he cannot do the ONE thing an NFL QB needs to be able to do proficiently.

    _

  10. #150
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Brad Smith wasn't even good. I will never understand how Jets fans overrated that clown. He got 7 ypc one season against bad defenses like the Raiders and Dolphins? Yippee. Any time we used Smith and his gadget plays against a good defense he was shut down.

    I guess a "better version of Brad Smith" would be a mediocre NFL backup QB which in that case Tebow has already achieved that.
    Agree to disagree. I realize Smith wasn't an All-Pro, but I have more positive memories of him touching the ball than negative ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Brad Smith was an outstanding kick returner, made a ton of tackles on special teams and he had some value as a WR in addition to being a wildcat QB.

    Tebow ain't that guy.

    His value will be in the Spread Option only--I don't see him having much if any impact as a ruse for a fake punt or on the on-sides kickoff coverage team.

    If he decided to put on a pair of big-boy shoulder pads, change his number to the 80s and dedicate himself to being a TE he might have a very long career in the NFL.

    The guy is not a QB because he cannot do the ONE thing an NFL QB needs to be able to do proficiently.

    _
    I gotta assume you guys subscribe to the "PR move" theory for why we got Tebow in the first place. Obviously I hope you're wrong and we can find a way to make him help this team (other than starting QB of course) . . .

  11. #151
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

    I gotta assume you guys subscribe to the "PR move" theory for why we got Tebow in the first place. Obviously I hope you're wrong and we can find a way to make him help this team (other than starting QB of course) . . .
    I think the move to get Tebow was 1000% PR and nothing to do with football.

    But now that we've committed ourselves to him for this year, I think we need to realize upon his unique skillset.

    But you know what I would TRULY hope for?

    That he would lose his ego about being an NFL QB because he can't do what is MOST important for an NFL QB and get a pair of big boy shoulder pads, exchange his number for one in the 80s and become an incredible 10 year NFL tight end.

    _

  12. #152
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- why don't you think he can become a better version of Brad Smith? That's all I've ever pictured him as on this team. I'm sure that's not what he wants, but I gotta think he'd take it over "riding the pine" his whole career . . .
    Honest question -- better version of Brad Smith in what respect?

    Speed wise, Brad Smith is Chris Johnson compared to Tebow. If Tebow wants to make it as a pass catcher in the NFL, he has to greatly improve his speed. He's only 6-3, so he can't be the role of the "big TE."

    As to QB, Tebow really has to learn to throw. This winner stuff is just nonsense. An NFL QB has to throw. Every successful "running QB", such as Elway, Young, Vick, and Newton could, first and foremost, throw the damn football. None of them had the throwing problems Tebow has.

    Plus, what is not talked about with Tebow is his problems reading prostyle defenses. There were quotes by NFL scouts on ESPN last year that absolutely killed Tebow on this. People criticize Sanchez for his poor reads but Tebow was, as scouts claimed, a 1 read QB. If his primary receiver was not open he would scramble. He doesn't go through progressions. That has to be rectified.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us