Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mehta Practice Report: Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp p

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Mehta Practice Report: Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp p

Before we get to the article...

I like Sanchez and don't really like Tebow, but I hope that every practice report doesn't devolve into Sanchez v. Tebow. I'm already tired of it and camp just started.

Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp practice
    BY MANISH MEHTA

CORTLAND – The morning after Mark Sanchez said that he was in “attack mode” entering training camp, the fourth-year quarterback outshined backup Tim Tebow on the first day of practice.

Sanchez led an offense that looked crisp on the first day of practice, setting the tone with a 40-yard bomb to rookie Stephen Hill on the first play of 11-on-11 team drills. Hill made a diving grab off a deflection from Darrelle Revis.

Tony Sparano gave a sneak peek of his style by calling plenty of plays to stretch the field. The offense looked much crisper than it did during minicamp last month.

“Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.” “Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.”

So, what exactly what was Sparano’s message?

“We’re going to be physical as all get out,” left guard Matt Slauson relayed.

Tebow completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty.

"I felt like it went really well as an offense," Tebow said. "I felt like we did some really good things. I felt pretty good about how I played out there. All of us got a long way to go, including myself... As an offense we made strides. As an individual, I made strides."

In all, Sanchez finished 7 for 8 with 16 snaps with the first team. (he threw an interception to Revis in 7-on-7 drills). Tebow went 4 for 5 with 12 snaps (including two rushes for 15 yards) with the second team.

The Jets apparently have a competition at left guard. Incumbent Matt Slauson, who proclaimed himself 100 percent healthy from off-season shoulder surgery, rotated at LG with Vlad Ducasse during practice. Slauson, who also took some reps at right tackle, assumes there’s a competition now at left guard.
    Jeff Otah, who is in limbo until he passes his physical, said that he’s “close… almost there” physically. The Jets acquired Otah from the Panthers for a conditional seventh-round pick provided that he passes a physical within seven days. Otah said that he expects to compete for the starting right tackle spot with Wayne Hunter if healthy. Otah worked with trainers on the field on Friday.
    Nick Folk made all four of his field goal attempts. Josh Brown, who is expected to push him, made 2 of 4 tries. (He missed a 42 and 44-yarder, but made two from 50+ yards).

Keyshawn Johnson paid a visit to practice and held court with reporters after practice.
    Safety LaRon Landry, who was taken off the PUP list on Thursday, was in uniform, but only worked out with the trainers.
    Rookie linebacker Demario Davis worked with trainers after suffering a hamstring injury during his conditioning test on Thursday.
    Rookie offensive lineman Robert Griffin left practice early after limping off with the trainer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini had a far better summary...

And where the F is your editor dude?

“Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.” “Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.”

So, what exactly what was Sparano’s message?
    Patiently waiting for Jenny's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the Tebow effect. Nowhere else would the second string quarterback have a comparative article like this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did Matt Simms do?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Tebow completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty."

I thought we got rid of Mulligan????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something is amiss here.

Tebow:
    Went 4 for 5 with 12 snaps (including two rushes for 15 yards) with the second team.
    Completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty.

Sanchez:
    Finished 7 for 8 with 16 snaps with the first team.
    Threw an interception to Revis in 7-on-7 drills.

And the headline reads: "Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp practice"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    And the headline reads: "Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp practice"?
    Reports from anyone in attendance say Tebow's delivery was bad, his passes lame and Sparano was screaming at him...

That good enough for you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I like hearing about the deep passes. People have the wrong impression of Sparano's offense, it's going to be plenty of shots down the field along with a strong running game, much better strategy than Schottenheimer's phone booth offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something is amiss here.

Tebow:
    Went 4 for 5 with 12 snaps (including two rushes for 15 yards) with the second team.
    Completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty.

Sanchez:

Tebow ran a couple of times when Sporano was yelling at him to throw it. He fumbled a snap and botched a handoff to a running back.

Also, the 1's were working against each other today and Sanchez took every first team snap. Tebow completed his long pass against Lankster, Sanchez completed his against Revis.

Details. I can't wait for KRL because we'll hear a lot more of them while he's there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I like hearing about the deep passes. People have the wrong impression of Sparano's offense, it's going to be plenty of shots down the field along with a strong running game, much better strategy than Schottenheimer's phone booth offense.
    Exactly, force them to respect the deep passes and the running game can flourish

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    "Tebow completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty."

I thought we got rid of Mulligan????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    This is the Tebow effect. Nowhere else would the second string quarterback have a comparative article like this.
    and of course we buy into it by posting it here as if it were Jets news! Then we complain about it and hope it does not evolve into an ever day thing! If we stopped posting this stuff maybe the writers would wake up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez is the best quarterback the New York Jets have had since Joe Namath. It does not surprise me at all that he is outshining a guy who was brought aboard to sell tickets and run a gadget play per game.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like hearing about the deep passes. People have the wrong impression of Sparano's offense, it's going to be plenty of shots down the field along with a strong running game
    Exactly. Sparano's offenses usually rank within the top 10 in regards to plays of 20+ yards. Anyone who knows anything about Sparano (which I see you do) understands that he establishes the run game early on, in order to set up the vertical passing attack later on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and of course we buy into it by posting it here as if it were Jets news! Then we complain about it and hope it does not evolve into an ever day thing! If we stopped posting this stuff maybe the writers would wake up.
    We're getting our first bit of football news in a while...

The reporters will continue to target the casual football audience, because they're the majority... Sanchez/Tebow is what those audience members will find noteworthy...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This!

miss those bombs he threw in his second year. especially this one

http://youtu.be/jzQ8thzcT7s

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Reports from anyone in attendance say Tebow's delivery was bad, his passes lame and Sparano was screaming at him...

That good enough for you?
    so basically tebow sucked yet the defense couldnt stop him. makes lots of sense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Tell me, was he playing against the 1s or 2s?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something is amiss here.

Tebow:

Sanchez:

I read that all 4 of Tebow's completions were short passes.

I read that Tebow was holding onto the ball too long (read: sack or at least heavy pressure in a real game).

I read that Sparano was yelling at Tebow to throw the ball but Tebow decided to run it instead.

I read that Tebow fumbled a snap.

So, other than that, yeah, I think he blew Sanchez away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Which defense? Certainly not the one we're going to put on the field every Sunday...

Also, why was his coordinator so angry with him? I don't recall Sparano saying anything negative about Mark's performance today...

It's going to be a long camp for the Tebowites... Hopefully when it is over, you'll finally come to grips with who's going to Quarterback this team this year...