Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: A Nice Analysis of Our O-Line

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    Post Thanks / Like

    A Nice Analysis of Our O-Line

    Here's a well written analysis of our O-Line. There's also a nice piece below it on our running game.

    http://nyjetsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    Here's a well written analysis of our O-Line. There's also a nice piece below it on our running game.

    http://nyjetsuniverse.wordpress.com/
    That was a very good article and hits on all of the bad luck the Jets ran into last season but what it illustrates even more is the front office's lack of attention to providing quality depth along the O-Line.

    When Turner went down, the front office should have made an ascertive effort to get some quality depth in - and there were a few decent free agents available at the time and Tannenebaum did nothing, the rest is history.

    I banged my head against the wall about that all pre-season long last year and I was continuously told not to panic by alot of posters here.

    While I don't think we will have that same kind string of unfortunate incidents this season, at least I hope not, I am still not happy with the lack of quality depth on our O-line - and I don't think Jeff Otah is the answer either, that guy is just too injury prone. And then you have Wayne Hunter - who should have been cut in my opinion & Vlad Ducasse who should be cut by final cuts this pre-season if his play does not drastically improve.

    What do you have left after that? Alot of young unaccomplished players that we are hoping will amount to something, I don't think that's a good recipe for success, especially for a team where the play of the O-Line will be so critical to the success of the offense which will be primarily run-first, pass 2nd.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    That was a very good article and hits on all of the bad luck the Jets ran into last season but what it illustrates even more is the front office's lack of attention to providing quality depth along the O-Line.

    When Turner went down, the front office should have made an ascertive effort to get some quality depth in - and there were a few decent free agents available at the time and Tannenebaum did nothing, the rest is history.

    I banged my head against the wall about that all pre-season long last year and I was continuously told not to panic by alot of posters here.

    While I don't think we will have that same kind string of unfortunate incidents this season, at least I hope not, I am still not happy with the lack of quality depth on our O-line - and I don't think Jeff Otah is the answer either, that guy is just too injury prone. And then you have Wayne Hunter - who should have been cut in my opinion & Vlad Ducasse who should be cut by final cuts this pre-season if his play does not drastically improve.

    What do you have left after that? Alot of young unaccomplished players that we are hoping will amount to something, I don't think that's a good recipe for success, especially for a team where the play of the O-Line will be so critical to the success of the offense which will be primarily run-first, pass 2nd.
    it's hard to argue this. The Jets did bolster their depth a little bit (but not enough) by signing a vet in the offseason and drafting Rob Griffin. But assuming Otah can't pass a physical, we really will need to accept Hunter is our RT, unless Duccasse makes some major leaps.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... if not Otah then another training camp cut RT needs to be brought in still ...









    l_j_r

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    it's hard to argue this. The Jets did bolster their depth a little bit (but not enough) by signing a vet in the offseason and drafting Rob Griffin. But assuming Otah can't pass a physical, we really will need to accept Hunter is our RT, unless Duccasse makes some major leaps.
    This is exactly my point though Turk, If Otah fails his physical and goes back to the Panthers, we don't have to settle for Hunter & Ducasse.

    There will still be time for moves to be made - Vernon Carey for example, but Tanny will need to learn from his mistakes and not wait & wait hoping for a gold bar to form out of a pile of scrap iron....he needs to act & act decisively.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2012 at 03:36 PM.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    When Turner went down, the front office should have made an ascertive effort to get some quality depth in - and there were a few decent free agents available at the time and Tannenebaum did nothing, the rest is history.
    I know.

    We were foolish not to bring in Leonard Davis last year.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I know.

    We were foolish not to bring in Leonard Davis last year.
    He would have been alot better then Colin Baxter......... D_ckhead.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I know.

    We were foolish not to bring in Leonard Davis last year.
    Dem Danish people are very sarcastic ...

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    This is exactly my point though Turk, If Otah fails his physical and goes back to the Panthers, we don't have to settle for Hunter & Ducasse.

    There will still be time for moves to be made - Vernon Carey for example, but Tanny will need to learn from his mistakes and not wait & wait hoping for a gold bar to form out of a pile of scrap iron....he needs to act & act decisively.
    very true. The Jets were reportedly keeping Carey on the radar until the Otah trade. Could get interesting.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Dem Danish people are very sarcastic ...
    What New Yorkers aren't sarcastic.

    Even my location is sarcastic.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    He would have been alot better then Colin Baxter......... D_ckhead.
    I'm not sure who has the least sense of humor on this board.

    You or Mainejet.

    Pole to come...

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not sure who has the least sense of humor on this board.

    You or Mainejet.

    Pole to come...
    You're lucky it's not hunting season ...

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not sure who has the least sense of humor on this board.

    You or Mainejet.

    Pole to come...
    MeanJet has a sense of humor. It's just an evil villainy kind, like making fun of handicapped children. You're not from Denmark?

  14. #14
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    MeanJet has a sense of humor. It's just an evil villainy kind, like making fun of handicapped children. You're not from Denmark?
    Seriously?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Seriously?
    Next you'll tell me that Kelly isn't from Sweden.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Next you'll tell me that Kelly isn't from Sweden.
    Kelly's too busy with work commitments to attend training camp this year.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    He would have been alot better then Colin Baxter......... D_ckhead.
    LOL, Jordy sure seems to get all of these same kind of responses posters from differen, then he plays victim and spouts off about how people always attack him with vulgarities...

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    D’Brickashaw Ferguson, the teams left tackle, was also named to the Pro Bowl. Anyone who watched the Jets play last year will know how much of a joke this actually was
    I don't agree with this statement. Brick wasn't getting *****ed around like Hunter. he was assigned sacks by certain media outlets when the offense failed.

    maybe Mark didn't see the unblocked guy or Mark didn't hit the hot route. Brick holds his blocks, Mark breaks the pocket and runs into the DE. Those things happen and it's not all on Mark either. Brick wasn't perfect but when PFF or whoever says he had 9 sacks, I bet the Jets coaching staff has a different grade on his performance.

    The Sack stat in general is highly subjective. If you don't know the play call and the blocking it's very tough to assign sacks.

    JMO, There are few left tackles in the NFL as good as DBrick. Maybe 5.

    I also don't like how the author says Brandon Moore was inconsistent but managed to make his first Pro Bowl. Just to review the voting is 1/3 players 1/3 coaches and 1/3 fans it's not a perfect system but he's been a very good player for a very long time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us