Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Steakhouses

  1. #1

    Steakhouses

    I don't particularly eat red meat (once in a while). But when I do, I want to do it well.

    I recently went to the Striphouse at 13 East 12th Street in the city, for my anniversary. I had the bone in rib eye.

    I can honestly say it was the best steak I've ever had. Everything from the salad, appetizer, steak and desert were phenomenal. Instead of wine me and the wife had beers instead and cut the bill in half.

    Awesome beer too



    Any other places you guys recommend.

  2. #2
    Next time, keep driving and hop on the bridge...

    Peter Luger's off Broadway is top notch...

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I don't particularly eat red meat (once in a while). But when I do, I want to do it well.

    I recently went to the Striphouse at 13 East 12th Street in the city, for my anniversary. I had the bone in rib eye.

    I can honestly say it was the best steak I've ever had. Everything from the salad, appetizer, steak and desert were phenomenal. Instead of wine me and the wife had beers instead and cut the bill in half.

    Awesome beer too



    Any other places you guys recommend.
    I like Morton's the steakhouse. i know its a chain, but not many good steakhouses that I know of around me. I was watching on food network about a place in NYC called Old Homestead Steakhouse. looked pretty good.

  4. #4
    The best steak ever created is a baseball cut sirloin marinated in honey ale, grilled to perfection on my BBQ the next day.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Next time, keep driving and hop on the bridge...

    Peter Luger's off Broadway is top notch...
    I honestly have never been to Peter Luger's. Was actually thinking of going there but the ratings at the Striphouse were better. I'll eventually get to there too.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    One of my favorite topics....and outings. Nothing better than getting an enormous pour of whiskey at the bar of a steakhouse in advance of gorging yourself. Can't do it too often, obviously, as its not great for your health as well as your wallet.

    JMO, but most high end steakhouses in NY do the meal right. At a certain price point, its more of your personal preference as to how a steakhouse approaches things as opposed to quality. If you're going to get someone competent cooking a dry aged steak, it should be delicious. Obviously everyone has a bad day, but I expect that when I'm paying $50 for a steak, it better be excellent. One of the biggest factors to me is customer service. There are probably over 30 steakhouses in NYC - if a place doesn't seem to give a **** about you, go somewhere else. Its too much of a buyers market not to be treated right when you spend that much money.

    My personal favorites:

    1. Ben and Jacks - I haven't been to Lugers in years because B&Js replicates the Lugers meal as close as possible to the real thing and better than any of the other spinoffs (Wolfgangs, Benjamins, etc.). Plus, you have the option of a full menu for other things if you don't like the Porterhouse, which is my favorite. Their potatoes are great as is their spinach. And the bar at the 5th Ave location is great.

    2. Quality Meats - Great place to take your wife/gf. Doesn't feel like the classic steakhouse and also has some non-traditional sides that you don't always find. Never had bad service there either. If something is not right, they fix it ASAP.

    3. Porterhouse - Another non-traditional steakhouse that is a great setting overlooking the park. Also a very good bar to eat at or get a drink before. Steaks are also great.

    4. Del Friscos - Its a chain, but its damn good. Been to the one in Vegas which was also just as good.

    5. Maloney & Porcelli - Haven't been in a while but I always had good meals there. Their crackling porkshank is terrific.

    I didn't put Lugers down because that's kind of a given, but I just haven't been in a few years. Obviously need to go back despite pt #1. Wolfgang's, Dylan Prime, S&W's. Also really like the Strip House but you already covered that.

    And the places that I don't like and will never go to (unless someone else is paying):

    BLT
    Ruth's Chris
    Morton's
    Gallaghers
    Keens (some love it, I had two very questionable meals there).
    Sparks - Don't really dislike it, the scene ain't my favorite though.

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,707
    For a chain, Del Frisco's is tops. Their double eagle steak is ridonkulous. Even their bread puts other places to shame.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,852
    I went to Keens recently, my meal was fantastic.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I went to Keens recently, my meal was fantastic.
    Did you get their mutton? I had it last time I was there - I was expected to be blown away, we were all pretty disappointed.

  10. #10
    Another vote here for Del Friscos. If you are ever in Dallas, go to the original location. Awesome. Another great steakhouse in Dallas is just down the street, III Forks. Once again, dry aged perfection.

    In Tampa I would put Berns up against any other steakhouse in the land. Superb cuts of meat.

    Most overrated city for steaks? Chicago. I have been to all of the staples in that town, and had truly horrible steaks. (Gene and Georgetti, etc).

    Here in NYC, Luger's rules if a) you are in the mood for porterhouse, and b) you feel like dealing with the waiters and their attitude.
    Del Frisco's is really good. Funny thing, about 3-4 years ago I thought the steaks were almost on par with their Dallas location. Then it seemed to slip, as I had 2 not so memorable meals there. Finally in the past year, they seem to have righted the ship. Don't forget to order the lemon cake (not on the menu) for dessert.
    I've had some better than average steaks at the Capital Grille here in NYC as well.

    Finally...if all that you care about is getting wasted, checking out "prime" waitresses, and eating a B to B+ steak, go to Nebraska Steakhouse. The waitresses will not let you down!!!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    For a chain, Del Frisco's is tops. Their double eagle steak is ridonkulous. Even their bread puts other places to shame.
    lump crab cake

    their burger is real good too

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,554
    Gotta give Ben and Jack's a second vote. Place is awesome.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    Another vote here for Del Friscos. If you are ever in Dallas, go to the original location. Awesome. Another great steakhouse in Dallas is just down the street, III Forks. Once again, dry aged perfection.
    Del Frisco's is always good in Dallas... Three Forks however went downhill after the owners divorced and now it's split with Silver Fox... Both are decent, but not for the price...

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,707
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    lump crab cake

    their burger is real good too


    Jack Daniels Bread Pudding is off the charts for dessert.

    Del Frisco's lunch spot in Rockefeller Center (I think it's called Del Frisco's Grille) has an AWESOME steak sandwich.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    One of my favorite topics....and outings. Nothing better than getting an enormous pour of whiskey at the bar of a steakhouse in advance of gorging yourself. Can't do it too often, obviously, as its not great for your health as well as your wallet.

    JMO, but most high end steakhouses in NY do the meal right. At a certain price point, its more of your personal preference as to how a steakhouse approaches things as opposed to quality. If you're going to get someone competent cooking a dry aged steak, it should be delicious. Obviously everyone has a bad day, but I expect that when I'm paying $50 for a steak, it better be excellent. One of the biggest factors to me is customer service. There are probably over 30 steakhouses in NYC - if a place doesn't seem to give a **** about you, go somewhere else. Its too much of a buyers market not to be treated right when you spend that much money.

    My personal favorites:

    1. Ben and Jacks - I haven't been to Lugers in years because B&Js replicates the Lugers meal as close as possible to the real thing and better than any of the other spinoffs (Wolfgangs, Benjamins, etc.). Plus, you have the option of a full menu for other things if you don't like the Porterhouse, which is my favorite. Their potatoes are great as is their spinach. And the bar at the 5th Ave location is great.

    2. Quality Meats - Great place to take your wife/gf. Doesn't feel like the classic steakhouse and also has some non-traditional sides that you don't always find. Never had bad service there either. If something is not right, they fix it ASAP.

    3. Porterhouse - Another non-traditional steakhouse that is a great setting overlooking the park. Also a very good bar to eat at or get a drink before. Steaks are also great.

    4. Del Friscos - Its a chain, but its damn good. Been to the one in Vegas which was also just as good.

    5. Maloney & Porcelli - Haven't been in a while but I always had good meals there. Their crackling porkshank is terrific.

    I didn't put Lugers down because that's kind of a given, but I just haven't been in a few years. Obviously need to go back despite pt #1. Wolfgang's, Dylan Prime, S&W's. Also really like the Strip House but you already covered that.

    And the places that I don't like and will never go to (unless someone else is paying):

    BLT
    Ruth's Chris
    Morton's
    Gallaghers
    Keens (some love it, I had two very questionable meals there).
    Sparks - Don't really dislike it, the scene ain't my favorite though.
    Striphouse is actually giving complimentary scotch drinks when you dine with them. Some pretty quality stuff. Might go check it out. Balvenie's 12-Year and 21-Year Handcrafted Malts, and Glenfiddich's 15-Year Single Malt Scotch.
    Last edited by Dimitri_0515; 07-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Striphouse is actually giving complimentary scotch drinks when you dine with them. Some pretty quality stuff. Might go check it out. Balvenie's 12-Year and 21-Year Handcrafted Malts, and Glenfiddich's 15-Year Single Malt Scotch.
    Interesting - I'm not a scotch drinker (but assuming they'll extend that to bourbon, I'm there), but the last time I ate there I ate at the bar and we had a really good time yuckin it up with the bartender. IIRC, he was very liberal on the pours and hooked us up with a couple as well.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Gotta give Ben and Jack's a second vote. Place is awesome.
    How do you get your Porterhouse? Order it rare and me and yous could date.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,855
    There is Luger's.

    And then there are ALL the rest of them

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    There is Luger's.

    And then there are ALL the rest of them

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    But you probably go to the Lugers on Northern Blvd, huh?

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,855
    Lugers in Great Neck is the second best Steakhouse on the planet behind Lugers in Billyburgh in first place.

    All the rest are tied for third place

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us