Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holy Ghey Olympics

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    While we're on the subject, must every news source announce the winners before NBC televises it? I can't open the internet, turn on the tv, or take a dump without the results being announced, with no spoiler alert.
    No, it's the opposite--they want to try and spoil as much of the Olympic coverage as they can in as blatant a manner as possible. It makes total sense from a business standpoint to announce the winners on a tape delay broadcast on another network.

Reminds me of the of the time I almost killed my first Pakistani.

It was the Winter Olympics years and years ago, my favorite event is always the first kick-off event--the Men's Downhill.

Every year, I can't wait to watch it and every year someone spoils it my saying "hey, did you here blahblahblah won it?"

So this one year I warned everyone at work not to tell me, didn't listen to the news or radio or look at TV all day, this was before the internet.

I leave work by car service, have it timed perfectly to make it home in time for the Down Hill, actually ask the driver to turn the radio off.

And he says, "sure, how about that Pirmin Zurbriggen winning the Men's Down Hill at the Olympics?"

If I had one of my switchblades with me, my adult life might have been vastly different.

_

All League
    And now you mean to tell me there's no other channel I can watch the Olympics on, and you are showing me men's gymnastics??? Mods, change thread title to super ghey olympics.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    And now you mean to tell me there's no other channel I can watch the Olympics on, and you are showing me men's gymnastics??? Mods, change thread title to super ghey olympics.
    Yeah, but we get a lot of really nice and touching segments with Ryan Seacrest.

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No, it's the opposite--they want to try and spoil as much of the Olympic coverage as they can in as blatant a manner as possible. It makes total sense from a business standpoint to announce the winners on a tape delay broadcast on another network.

It was the Winter Olympics years and years ago, my favorite event is always the first kick-off event--the Men's Downhill.

Every year, I can't wait to watch it and every year someone spoils it my saying "hey, did you here blahblahblah won it?"

So this one year I warned everyone at work not to tell me, didn't listen to the news or radio or look at TV all day, this was before the internet.

I leave work by car service, have it timed perfectly to make it home in time for the Down Hill, actually ask the driver to turn the radio off.

And he says, "sure, how about that Pirmin Zurbriggen winning the Men's Down Hill at the Olympics?"

If I had one of my switchblades with me, my adult life might have been vastly different.

_
    I think Pirmin lives in Timmmmmys hometown .

Try central time zone , you can't touch Internet as they blab it out like it or not!

Women's handball, Denmark vs Sweden.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    2 man beach volleyball.

guys used to play this when there wasn't enough to play a regular game and they were out of weed.
    Top Gun should have you covered

Practice Squad
    Just finished watching the opening ceremonies last night on the DVR. I went to bed after Mister Bean on Friday since I'm working this weekend. He was funny, as usual. Yeah, the baby thing was FF material as well as J K Rowlings bit. Cleary they knew they couldn't beat China, and didn't try. When you think about it, when it comes to massive amounts of people doing coordinated things, choreography I guess, North Korea actually takes the gold. Let em have it for all I care.

Even though I don't care for Kenneth Branagh, I did enjoy the first two scenes with the farm and the smoke stacks. Some people have mistaken the smoke stack thing as an anti-pollution statement when it was actually the very opposite. I could have done without the over-acting but celebrating Isambard Kingdom Brunel is always a good thing.

Strange that in the very very beginning they highlighted a few very famous Brits by showing Newton, Darwin, Shakespeare, (Austin?), and McCartney and Lennon. Laughed at the last two since they included them but not Churchill (or Brunel for that matter). Maybe I missed something.

Also FF'd the whole love affair thing about social media and that dude (Tim Berners-Lee) that invented the World Wide Web. Maybe this is where people picked up on the whole PC thing that the ideal UK couple is now racially ambiguous. And then, just when you think it couldn't get any more liberal with their choices for carrying the Olympic flag, they handed it off to the military, so that was good. As liberal as we say they are, I think Britain does a better job of honoring their military, present and past, than we do, on the whole, IMHO.

Speaking of racially ambiguous however, let me just say, now I've watched these things every two years. I enjoy the parade of nations and am guilty of noticing the differences between how people look for different parts of the world (don't we all?). Some countries are very homogeneous, all black or all white, or .... Some countries, like in southern Africa or like Hong Kong, may have many of one indigenous race and then just one or two of a former European colonist race. Fine. And then we also see the differences between the different Caucasian nations too. Russians look a certain way, Scandinavian, German, Spanish, Arab... And then finally comes the United States. I really had a moment where I'm looking at our athletes and recognized how it really does look like a (salad, melting pot, ....) confetti mixture of all the other people in the world that I just watched parade by, almost like an All-Star team. And I'm not just saying black, white, Asian, but I could see among the whites the folks of Russian, German, Scandinavian...heritage. I must see this every day in NY (although the people here aren't as pretty on the street, on average, as our Olympians) but for some reason it really hit me there on the television. And also, while there is a debate about us being the #1 country (based on various metrics) there is no question we are its leader. So I was feeling a little proud and also recognizing that down on their luck foreigners in some shack somewhere may be watching this too and seeing the USA as the place to be and a place where they may still be welcome.

Hope that isn't too political for the Hampur.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post

True story--The GF was watching the opening ceremony and I walked into the room just as they showed Branaugh dressed up as that guy and I said "wow, that's really nice of the Brits that they are paying tribute to Abe Lincoln."

_

USA Mens basketball vs France live on Now (Cablevision 146) MBCSN

USA up by 20 pts. in the 3rd

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    I think Pirmin lives in Timmmmmys hometown .
    Really?

Loved him and Alberto Tomba

_

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Wu Tang Clan on the juice?

Jets Insider VIP
    Why do the Men's volleyball team need to group hug after EVERY single play.

Women's hockey.

All League
    Does anyone get gymnastics? Even the womans, just damned near unbearable to watch for me. Chicks apparently love it, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

_
    Similar thing happened with me for the 1984 Winter Olympics. Those of us old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice at Lake Placid in '80 can relate to the feeling of anticipation leading up the '84 U.S. hockey team's first game. Of course ABC made sure to promo the event - in prime time, so I was ready to be at home in front of the t.v. to watch it all as if "live" that night. Since the games were played in Yugosolavia that year, that meant a tape delay. So that meant going all day at work with media silence and spreading the word to my colleagues not to divulge the result if they found out. I made it through the day uninformed and headed to the subway for the short trip home. As soon as the train doors close, some dude with a N.Y. Post evening edition puts the front page up to his face to read, exposing the 24-point boldface back page sports headline to my unwary eyes: "U.S." Hockey Team Falls to ---"! As it turns out the '84 hockey squad was an epic fail and didn't even medal, so in effect I wasn't missing anything. But I'll never forget how furious I was and how I hated that rag of a paper for "spoiling" it for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    I haven't watched any Olympics at all so far

but I may need to start (Ivet Lalova)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I haven't watched any Olympics at all so far

but I may need to start (Ivet Lalova)

Do yourself a solid and find the whole video...

Hall Of Fame
    Phenominal races by Phelps, Missy Franklin and that 15 year-old Ledeke in the 800 meters. Love the underwater moving camera shots.

Also forgot how great some of the Track and Field is.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, USA men's basketball just barely beat Lithuania 99-94, were actually down with 5 minutes left

_

Since when is jumping on a trampoline an Olympic sport? What's next, double dutch?
    Gotta love the Canadian...Karen Cockburn. She was really popular in high school!