Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Holy Ghey Olympics

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Wow, USA men's basketball just barely beat Lithuania 99-94, were actually down with 5 minutes left

_
    I'd love to see this team lose

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I'd love to see this team lose
    U

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    U

_
    ganda!!
    Last edited by Timmy®; 08-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When are they going to quit having the olympics in Europe? The stadiums are EMPTY in London just like they were in 2004.

I went to the olympics in ATL in '96. Went to the women's b-ball bronze medal game in the Georgia Dome (only thing I could get tix for since I arrived late) and the GEORGIA DOME was 80% filled for a women's basketball bronze medal game that Team USA wasn't even playing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    When are they going to quit having the olympics in Europe? The stadiums are EMPTY in London just like they were in 2004.

I went to the olympics in ATL in '96. Went to the women's b-ball bronze medal game in the Georgia Dome (only thing I could get tix for since I arrived late) and the GEORGIA DOME was 80% filled for a women's basketball bronze medal game that Team USA wasn't even playing.

Wow - this Olympics has been massively successful. The empty crowds are not due to people not wanting to go to the events, but rather tickets sold/given away (a lot of them through Olympic committees in other countries) where people haven't turned up. You only have to see the crowds in the "open" events like the mens time-trial cycling, the marathon or triathlon to see how the British people have supported it - they have turned out in their droves to see it and have loved every minute of it.

The Atlanta Olympics is regarded by most impartial observers as the WORST Olympics in history - and a key reason why the USA should NOT get another summer Olympics for the next 50 years. In fact the Olympic movement and the games were so badly tarnished by Atlanta some queried whether there was any point to them in the first place, and maybe should be discontinued. It took the hugely successful Sydney Olympics to return the Games to their glory and remove the blemish Atlanta had given to the Olympic movement.

The London Olympics has at the very least lived up to the spirit of Sydney and is at least an equal of Athens and Beijing, if not better than them - and most certainly many times better than the abysmal Atlanta Olympics.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soberphobia View Post
    Wow - this Olympics has been massively successful. The empty crowds are not due to people not wanting to go to the events, but rather tickets sold/given away (a lot of them through Olympic committees in other countries) where people haven't turned up. You only have to see the crowds in the "open" events like the mens time-trial cycling, the marathon or triathlon to see how the British people have supported it - they have turned out in their droves to see it and have loved every minute of it.

The Atlanta Olympics is regarded by most impartial observers as the WORST Olympics in history - and a key reason why the USA should NOT get another summer Olympics for the next 50 years. In fact the Olympic movement and the games were so badly tarnished by Atlanta some queried whether there was any point to them in the first place, and maybe should be discontinued. It took the hugely successful Sydney Olympics to return the Games to their glory and remove the blemish Atlanta had given to the Olympic movement.

The London Olympics has at the very least lived up to the spirit of Sydney and is at least an equal of Athens and Beijing, if not better than them - and most certainly many times better than the abysmal Atlanta Olympics.
    Why'd they pick a city like Atlanta anyway? It's not like it's a famous, cosmopolitan city.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Why'd they pick a city like Atlanta anyway? It's not like it's a famous, cosmopolitan city.
    Partly it wasn't Atlanta's fault because the Olympic commmittee then was just rife with corruption, hence they awarded the games to who waved the most $ in front of them. They awarded it to a city that just wasn't ready for it, didn't have the infrastructure etc, and the people of Atlanta just didn't support it. I'm sure there would have been far better cities in the USA for the games to go to at that time, but the shame of it they didn't, and now the USA's name is mud with a lot of the Olympic movement, and frankly a lot of that has been fairly earned because of Atlanta.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soberphobia View Post
    Partly it wasn't Atlanta's fault because the Olympic commmittee then was just rife with corruption, hence they awarded the games to who waved the most $ in front of them. They awarded it to a city that just wasn't ready for it, didn't have the infrastructure etc, and the people of Atlanta just didn't support it. I'm sure there would have been far better cities in the USA for the games to go to at that time, but the shame of it they didn't, and now the USA's name is mud with a lot of the Olympic movement, and frankly a lot of that has been fairly earned because of Atlanta.
    Not a good sports town at all...can't even sell out Braves PO games.

But on another note, men's field hockey is LOLtastic.