View Poll Results: Which event should be brought back to the Olympics?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • SOLO SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING

0 0%
  • CLUB SWINGING

1 9.09%
  • TUG-OF-WAR

4 36.36%
  • LIVE PIGEON SHOOTING

2 18.18%
  • SWIMMING OBSTACLE COURSE

1 9.09%
  • ROLLER HOCKEY

2 18.18%
  • LA CANNE

1 9.09%
  • ROPE CLIMBING

0 0%

Thread: Which of these "retired" Olympic events do you want back?

Jets Insider VIP

Which of these "retired" Olympic events do you want back?

Pole coming.

(Poll too!)

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-24/w...r-water-ballet

SOLO SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING

Oxymoron alert! Yes, this sport features one female swimmer synchronizing with herself. The sport made its debut in the Los Angeles Games in 1984, with U.S. swimmer Tracie Ruiz winning the gold medal.

Similar to the group event, a swimmer performs a kind of water ballet. A lonely water ballet.

Despite the seemingly misleading title, organizers of the sport say the swimmer is actually in sync with the music.

Will we see this sport in London?

No. But there will be the team synchronized swimming events that most people are familiar with. The solo event was discontinued after 1992.

CLUB SWINGING (aka Falconing?)

Club Swinging debuted in 1904. The athlete stands erect, holding clubs that resemble bowling pins in each hand. He then twirls and whirls them around. The more complicated the routine, the more points he wins.

Historians say the sport was the precursor to rhythmic gymnastic events that use ribbons and hoops.

No. Sadly. Club Swinging was only in the Olympics twice, ending in 1932.

TUG-OF-WAR

Once a very competitive Olympic sport, tug of war employs teams that struggle and strain to pull a rope past a certain point. Great Britain actually won the most medals in this event, historians say.

Nope. Tug-of-war was an Olympic event until 1920, and was then relegated to the church picnic circuit.

LIVE PIGEON SHOOTING

The 1900 Olympics in Paris had the great distinction of being the first Games where women competed. It also wore the ignoble badge for this sport, where athletes aimed to bring down as many pigeons as possible.

Nearly 300 birds were slain, historians say, leaving a bloody, feathery mess. The winner shot down 21 pigeons.

Yes. Just kidding. Come on now. The 1900 Games in Paris was the only time pigeon killing was featured in the Olympics.

SWIMMING OBSTACLE COURSE

As strange as this sport may seem, the obstacles swimmers had to overcome are even more unusual. In the 1900 Games in Paris, swimmers crawled over boats, swam under them and climbed a pole (told you a pole was coming!) -- all the while swimming 200 meters in the Seine.

No. The boats on the Thames are safe.

ROLLER HOCKEY

Maybe if this was the 1970s and there was a disco ball, this sport would have taken off. Roller Hockey debuted at the 1992 Barcelona Games. The game follows the rules of ice hockey, but with roller skates. Argentina took the gold.

No. The Barcelona Games was the only time Roller Hockey was in the Olympics.

LA CANNE (Gold Medal - Raoul)

Ok, think fencing. Now take away the saber and replace it with a cane. You know, the walking stick type of thing? Voila, now you have the French martial art La Canne, that debuted at the 1924 Olympics.

No, but you can watch the fencing events and imagine how much more awesome it would be with wooden canes.

ROPE CLIMBING

Yes, the activity that made you feel like a weakling in your physical education class debuted as an Olympic sport in 1896. Just like in your gym class, climbers are timed to see how quickly they can shimmy up a braided rope.

But unlike your classmates, these athletes didn't run out of steam before reaching the top.

No. After 1932, the Olympics thankfully left rope climbing behind. Kind of like you did after high school.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 07-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Stripping...

It may not have ever been one but that's the event I want.

Call it pole dancing if you must...

friggen baseball and solfball. I mean WTF baseball is a lot more popular around the world then Basketball. Apparently the Olympic committees are just mad MLB refuses to shut down for the Olympics so they voted the sport out. Way to kill one of your biggest draws. I hope the air you fill with horse jumping and squash gets better ratings.

All League
    I want an event where two guys come out and try to kick each other in the nuts. Hands must be behind the back at all time. This is some ghey azz ****. But funny and violent ass hell and the Joe Thiesman slo-mos of the kick that connects would be epic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    I want an event where two guys come out and try to kick each other in the nuts. Hands must be behind the back at all time. This is some ghey azz ****. But funny and violent ass hell and the Joe Thiesman slo-mos of the kick that connects would be epic.
    Would that be the name of the event?

All Pro
    An event that combines wrestling and making your opponent eat poop.

Jets Insider VIP
    We need Olympic Hide n' Seek back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycb9_Y_gJ-g

Hall Of Fame
    Rug-munching.

I coulda won gold.

Or pubes.

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Rug-munching.

I coulda won gold.

Or pubes.

_

Little Roy toy

Jets Insider VIP
    Camel-toeing (as opposed to camel towing).

Sure you argue that female swimmers and gymnasts still do it, but it needs its own medals.

I want the Olympics to just go away.

There is literally nothing worth watching.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Tubesteak Boogie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I want the Olympics to just go away.

There is literally nothing worth watching.
    I kinda dig the Olympics so I haven't noticed this one way or another....but, to someone who isn't keen on watching them, do you think its taken over the airwaves or can you easily avoid them?

I'm getting sick of the water cooler talk from every fool who thinks they are now an expert in handball or archery, but I like watching these sports that I otherwise would never get any exposure to.

Basketball, OTOH, doesn't need to be in the Olympics. I'd much rather watch some kid who has busted his ass all his life at judo to make the Olympics than to see Lebron and CO. just going through the motions and not really giving a ****.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We need Olympic Hide n' Seek back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycb9_Y_gJ-g
    That is such a long and stupid skit but it still makes me laugh! Python rocks!