View Poll Results: Does Otah pass his physical in the coming week?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 59.38%
  • No

26 40.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What say you, does Otah pass physical?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    or maybe he will be fine

oh I forgot --- that's not a possibilty in the world of misery

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    or maybe he will be fine

oh I forgot --- that's not a possibilty in the world of misery
    And maybe Tebow will be a great QB?

Otah's chances would be better if he was smaller and lighter.

It's the Kris Jenkins syndrome (another ex-Panther) but only worse because Otah's career hasn't left the ground due to injuries.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The word out of CAR was that his knee is fine, he just isn't willing to play with any discomfort. Even his answer when asked if he thought he'd be ready by the deadline was a bit wimpy to be honest. I don't think he's gonna pass on time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    patman's vote has now been joined by rextilleon, mudcat, DBAKE and one other gloom and doomer
    What did I say? That if the reason he failed his physical is his knee that it wont be cured in a week after it has been hurting since 09. I said that if it was just because he was out of shape then given a week he will probably pass.

You guys have Tebow now, so maybe a miracle is not out of the question.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 games out of a possible 32 over a 2 year period has me voting "no."

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    But is it worth a 7th round pick to see if he can? That bar is a lot lower than someone who can "excel, take the starting job, and stay healthy".

I know we complain about throwing away picks, but I gotta think they're gonna do everything they can to keep the guy -- there's just too good of a risk/reward ratio.

If he's gone, he's probably out of football . . .

For sure I think it is worth it. What's a 7th rounder? Nothing. It's a flyer on a prospect who is injured, has issues, or someone you think you see a niche for. Otah fits that bill.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For now I would act as if Otah does not exist. Do not count on him for anything going forward, IF IF IF IF he ever gets healthy enough to practice then there will be a discussion. Then once healthy the next debate will be how long he will stay healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    6'-6" 340 lbs riding on a shredded knee.

The other leg is waiting to blow.

He'll either hang around just long enough to bilk the team or he'll drag it out by playing soft with selective blocking and let Sanchez get laminated like Brick does.
    I'll take that option! Two bookend Pro Bowlers !!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The word out of CAR was that his knee is fine, he just isn't willing to play with any discomfort. Even his answer when asked if he thought he'd be ready by the deadline was a bit wimpy to be honest. I don't think he's gonna pass on time.
    Agree. Weren't there also reports of motivational issues?

Edit: Found this:
    http://car.scout.com/2/1189423.html

Panthers look for ways to motivate Otah

They've waited for him to heal, and hoped he'd keep himself in shape.

But the Panthers latest attempt to get something out of right tackle Jeff Otah was evident when they lined him up with the second line during the first week of OTAs. They used former undrafted rookie Byron Bell with the first team, leaving the former first-round pick as a reserve.

In one respect, it makes sense. Otah has played just four games the last two seasons because of knee and conditioning issues. So to count on him as a starter requires a leap of faith they're not ready to make.

However, some in the organization think Otah's biggest issue is toughness, or a lack thereof. Many thought he'd have been able to come back more quickly from the knee problems that plagued him in 2010, but he couldn't push through.

When Ron Rivera hired his coaching staff last year, he added long-time war-horse tackle Ray Brown as an assistant offensive line coach, in part to try to reach Otah. The thinking was, the 20-year NFL vet could teach Otah about playing through pain, as he so often did during his career.

But Otah played just four games last year, and when the left knee issues cropped up again, they placed him on injured reserve.

The effort to reach him is for a good reason. When well, Otah has the potential to be a dominant run blocker. Listed at 6-6, 330 pounds, he has the kind of power to anchor a run game (as he did in 2008). But if he's not on the field, his draft status alone isn't going to save him any longer.

That's clear if they're working him behind Bell, one of last year's projects that ended up starting 12 games last season when injuries took out the backups they expected to use.

Teammates say he's been a regular in offseason workouts, and appears to be in good shape.

As if Otah needs any more motivation, he's entering a contract year. If he could play to the level he displayed as a rookie, he could potentially cash in next offseason. But the fact the Panthers aren't even working him with the ones in May should tell you they're taking a cautious approach when it comes to the enigmatic blocker
    Last edited by JetsNeedNewton; 07-28-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I'll take that option! Two bookend Pro Bowlers !!!
    Sad to hear that.

Two Tiki loungers that play every game* like the joke known as the "Pro Bowl."

Tommy Bahama should name a clothing line after them and rename the O-line the O-Lounge.

"O" for Oahu.

*AFCCs included. Minutes away from the first Jets SB in over 40 years; roll the tape:

^^^ Pro Bowler Brick standing around like a dumbfuk watching Sanchez get rolled like a tortilla
    Last edited by jetrider; 07-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Might have been one of Shottys worst play calls as a Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

And the Jets still complete the trade.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a timeline here?

I don't think he'll pass it in the next few days so I voted no.

But I think they will keep him anyway and hope he can start the season on the active roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think there is a possibility that Ducasse plays LG this year and Slauson plays RT.

But I'll vote yes.
    If that ends up happening our season is over. Slauson is mediocre as a Guard - he'd get wrecked having to pass protect in space at Tackle. Vlad protecting any QB's blindside is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think even Jesus could save Tebow behind that joke of an OL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Is there a timeline here?

I don't think he'll pass it in the next few days so I voted no.

But I think they will keep him anyway and hope he can start the season on the active roster.
    This would seem to be a no-brainer, so you gotta think things are REALLY bad if they let him go back . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Might have been one of Shottys worst play calls as a Jet.
    LOL.

Curse Brian for taking a shot downfield to hopefully get on the board before halftime.

First it was Brian's fault Sanchez got sacked to create the 3rd & 17.

Then it was Brian's fault Pro Bowl Brick took the play off on a crucial drive for the final nail in the coffin.

All Brick had to do was disrupt Taylor slightly - bump him, nudge him, touch him, step in his lane - anything - and the ball would've been thrown.

The play was there to be made, but I forgot in retardland you always blame the call not the execution.

Brick didn't lift an eyelid at Ike Taylor until here:

FERGUSON WATCHES SANCHEZ GET ROADKILLED

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember an argument I had with Bitonti about that play. I blamed Brick, he blamed Sanchez.

I never blame the QB when a guy comes through untouched, but it was more than that in this case. Brick just missed his assignment at the worst possible time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I highly doubt that he will pass.