Thread: ? What does Stephen Hill 6'4 215 provide in the

? What does Stephen Hill 6'4 215 provide in the

the running game that Plaxico Burress 6'5 232 didn't. Plaxico Burress was always considered a very good run blocker. My point is I don't understand how much an upgrade will Stephen Hill be in that area(run blocking). Did that area of Plaxico Burress game fall off that much also.(just don't know and I'm curious what I'm missing there- thanks)

There is no doubt he should be a big addition as a receiver between the 20 and 20 than Plaxico Burress was at the latter part of his career. With his ability to get separation deep I could see that part helping the run game tremendously.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    the running game that Plaxico Burress 6'5 232 didn't. Plaxico Burress was always considered a very good run blocker. My point is I don't understand how much an upgrade will Stephen Hill be in that area(run blocking). Did that area of Plaxico Burress game fall off that much also.(just don't know and I'm curious what I'm missing there- thanks)

There is no doubt he should be a big addition as a receiver between the 20 and 20 than Plaxico Burress was at the latter part of his career. With his ability to get separation deep I could see that part helping the run game tremendously.
    You kind of answered your own question. Hill's speed will extend opposing defenses which will allow the Jets more room to run. Burress was big but not ever considered a great blocker for a WR. Braylon was much better. Hill is considered to already be an above average run blocker as a WR and he's still very young. He is very much in the mold of a young Braylon when he came out just more raw. But I believe Hill's upside and skill set is very similar to what Braylon's was coming out and he was the 3rd overall pick. Obviously Hill has work to do to become a great player but just his presence will have a huge impact on the Jets offense. Much more then Burress' presence.

Hill is going to be working against one of the all time greats in Revis during camp.
    I wouldn't under estimate that fact.
    What great corners will Hill be facing in the AFC East?
    The guy is gonna have Santonio, Keller & Kerley (who I think has a chance to be a very good slot guy), taking coverage away from him.
    If Hill learns quickly how to get off the line of scrimmage & use his height advantage, it's pitch & catch.
    People make it sound like it's rocket science or something. The Jets style as a running team will give him many chances to be one on one which will make it that much easier to use his speed to get open.
    It's funny how people because of last year are writing off Holmes as a top receiver, it's like the Superbowl & 2010 didn't happen.
    A happy Santonio will make for a very happy & open Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You kind of answered your own question. Hill's speed will extend opposing defenses which will allow the Jets more room to run. Burress was big but not ever considered a great blocker for a WR. Braylon was much better. Hill is considered to already be an above average run blocker as a WR and he's still very young. He is very much in the mold of a young Braylon when he came out just more raw. But I believe Hill's upside and skill set is very similar to what Braylon's was coming out and he was the 3rd overall pick. Obviously Hill has work to do to become a great player but just his presence will have a huge impact on the Jets offense. Much more then Burress' presence.
    That's the problem I'm having as Plaxico Burress was always consider a very good run blocker(thats why Steelers loved him so much in the draft when he came out, as they like to run the football).

I understand the other parts what Stephen Hill brings to the table to help in the running game.(that Plaxico Burress doesn't) Just I see a lot of Jet fans talking about S Hill run blocking ability, like they didn't have that last year with Plaxico Burress. That the only thing I'm not understanding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-up-on-blocks/
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Blocking is as much about attitude as anything else and Burress didn't have it. You have to want to do it and Burress didn't. And Hill is about 10 years younger.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    That's the problem I'm having as Plaxico Burress was always consider a very good run blocker(thats why Steelers loved him so much in the draft when he came out, as they like to run the football).

I understand the other parts what Stephen Hill brings to the table to help in the running game.(that Plaxico Burress doesn't) Just I see a lot of Jet fans talking about S Hill run blocking ability, like they didn't have that last year with Plaxico Burress. That the only thing I'm not understanding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-up-on-blocks/
    Hill can be an effective run blocker the same way burres was, Knocking cb's around. The difference is hill can sell the run block and then sprint past the cb to get open for a deep pass. That is something burres couldn't do anymore.

All Pro
    These last two posts say it. First of all he's young, and motivated. Then he's much faster than Buress so the corner needs to respect that. He's certainly not going to brace himself to take on a block, or Hill be off to the races. hehe As long as he learns to sell it. Revis will be a tremendous help there if he wants to learn. All the receivers should go to Revis island to learn the art of the tell. Revis is the master of noticing what a receiver does that tips off what he will do next. He would make a hell of a coach one day.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Hill can be an effective run blocker the same way burres was, Knocking cb's around. The difference is hill can sell the run block and then sprint past the cb to get open for a deep pass. That is something burres couldn't do anymore.
    That as pretty much going to be my point.

When you have no threat of beating anyone deep, the CBs and Safeties can play up more. They could have the same run blocking skills, but the deep threat from Hill will make the backs play off a bit which opens things up a bit more for the running game. Burress wasn't beating anyone deep last year.

We saw that happen when Braylon first came to the Jets. The running game was helped by his blocking and his speed to get over the top.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He is not tainted with the stank of Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Burress was big but not ever considered a great blocker for a WR.
    This is simply not true...

With that said, Hill just spent his entire collegiate career run blocking...

I think run blocking with WRs are well over rated on this site. When your playing a speed back like Willie Parker or Westbrook was they help because it thins that 2nd level. Which is nice but I don't think we really have that type of RB on this team. We are and have been for year a up the middle grinding run game. We haven't see a lot of wide sweeps or half back tosses. LT and Washington where strictly pass catching backs. Thomas and Greene where both grinders. Maybe McKnight but I think his skills are still to be seen. I am seriously trying to remember more then one good sweep we did in a game and I just can't.

Our issues on the run last year where all health, OL, and play calling. BE was not missed at all IMO mainly because we rarely made it past the 1st level. Our longest run was only 31 yards which was last in the NFL. Fact is we just didn't have enough break away runs off the line for WR blocking to even enter the picture. I don't think that was Greenes fault as every time he ran he had 3 and 4 guys right on him almost every play do to the typicality calls we did. We just had no flash at all in play calling and it showed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I think run blocking with WRs are well over rated on this site. When your playing a speed back like Willie Parker or Westbrook was they help because it thins that 2nd level. Which is nice but I don't think we really have that type of RB on this team. We are and have been for year a up the middle grinding run game. We haven't see a lot of wide sweeps or half back tosses. LT and Washington where strictly pass catching backs. Thomas and Greene where both grinders. Maybe McKnight but I think his skills are still to be seen. I am seriously trying to remember more then one good sweep we did in a game and I just can't.

Our issues on the run last year where all health, OL, and play calling. BE was not missed at all IMO mainly because we rarely made it past the 1st level. Our longest run was only 31 yards which was last in the NFL. Fact is we just didn't have enough break away runs off the line for WR blocking to even enter the picture. I don't think that was Greenes fault as every time he ran he had 3 and 4 guys right on him almost every play do to the typicality calls we did. We just had no flash at all in play calling and it showed.
    It also helps the wr screen pass and bubble screen as well as dump offs

Hall Of Fame
    Hahahahahahaha.

Old slow broken down piece of sh*t felon and locker room disease versus a young hard working blistering fast downfield blocking all-around good guy ecstatic to be on the Jets.

Hmmmm, not sure what Hill provides that Plax didn't.

_

All League
    Plax sure had a knack of "blocking" by pushing the defenders facemask to the sky, getting a penalty, and then doing nothing on the next play

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Hahahahahahaha.

Old slow broken down piece of sh*t felon and locker room disease versus a young hard working blistering fast downfield blocking all-around good guy ecstatic to be on the Jets.

_
    Besides all that, Stokes, I think they're the same player right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Hahahahahahaha.

_
    Well they are both tall.