Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Tebow deserve the back-up role?

Will Tebow deserve the back-up role?

Training camp has just begun and Jet football fever is rampant in my home. Now on to a subject that no one has mentioned in 10 seconds. Tim Tebow will he automatically get the 2nd spot behind Sanchez? We all saw that Thanksgiving
    Game disaster when we out played Denver for 90%of the game. Tebow is a great guy ,a good football player,he's no NFL QB. Let's say McElory or even Sims puts up bigger numbers in preseason than Tebow. How do the Jets deal with this? Brunell was Sanchez's caddy for the last 2 seasons and we know he didn't ' earn his position. Tebow is known to be a bad practice type player however in the last 5 minutes of a game Tebow has shown he makes plays. Will this be enough for Rex and Tanny to automatically crown him the heir to Sanchz?

Actually, in the last 5 minutes he's shown that Matt Prater can make 50+ yard FGs.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Actually, in the last 5 minutes he's shown that Matt Prater can make 50+ yard FGs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, 2 guys who have never taken an nfl snap will beat out a guy who led his team to a division title and was throwing game winning tds against the steelers in the playoffs last year.

Fans of other teams are right. Jet fans are the dumbest fan base out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Yes, 2 guys who have never taken an nfl snap will beat out a guy who led his team to a division title and was throwing game winning tds against the steelers in the playoffs last year.

I have been a loyal Jets fan since the 1960's but....Sometimes I wonder.

Regardless of whether you like Tebow or not, can we refrain from making judgments based on one practice? It can take years to determine how good or bad a player is, SEE DREW BREES.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 07-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Exactly. That anyone thinks they could possibly make a case that Tebow doesn't land as the backup is amazing to me. Like him or not, and I'm not a fan, he's the 2nd best QB on the team.

I believe Chris Simms has started more NFL games than Tebow so maybe not so dumb.....Not saying he would beat out Tebow but he does have NFL experience....

As far as leading the Bronco's to the AFC west title, Tebow needing only 1 win to clinch **** the bed big time the last 3 games of the season....Going 0-3

30-73....40% comp rate...1 TD....4 INT...5 fumbles losing to the awful Chiefs and Bills in that run.....
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 07-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    I believe Chris Simms has started more NFL games than Tebow so maybe not so dumb.....

As far as leading the Bronco's to the AFC west title, Tebow needing only 1 win to clinch **** the bed big time the last 3 games of the season....Going 0-3

30-73....40% comp rate...1 TD....4 INT...5 fumbles losing to the awful Chiefs and Bills in that run.....
    We have Matt Simms, not Chris Simms.

Jets Insider VIP
    Chris Simms isnt on the jets. He has been out of the league for years.

There should be a test you must pass to post on this board. I mean, im arguing with people who think chris simms is a jet.

Chris Simms isnt on the jets. He has been out of the league for years.

There should be a test you must pass to post on this board. I mean, im arguing with people who think chris simms is a jet.

Your right, my bad....How about arguing how Tebow fared the last 3 games in 2011.....Leading the Bronco's to the division title.....

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    We have Matt Simms, not Chris Simms.

Gotcha......i am right on top of things....

Still do not think Tebow is a starting NFL QB....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    Your right, my bad....How about arguing how Tebow fared the last 3 games in 2011.....Leading the Bronco's to the division title.....
    The 3 games that Matt Simms watched on TV?

He won. Get over it. Don't try and take those games away from him. It's stupid to argue that point

Jets Insider VIP
    We have one of the best back up qbs in the league. If Sanchez gets hurt or struggles, we have a guy that can win games.

We havent had that in years. Clemens, brunell etc.

We get imo the best backup in the league, and some are heckling him at practice. Were these same fans heckling brunell last year?

Why does so many hate this guy? It cant be religon.

Banned
    When will you people understand, that Tim Tebow isn't here to become our next franchise Quarterback? He's here to help improve our overall offensive attack. He won't be used as a "backup quarterback"; he'll be used as an NFL football player. He'll become our center-piece of a Tony Sparano led Wildcat (Gator) formation, he'll be used as a HB and FB coming out of the backfield during down and short and/or goalline situations, could be used as a TE in order to throw opposing defenses off balance, could become an impossible force to stop inside the red-zone rushing behind Nick Mangold etc, etc This man is going to be lined up all over the offensive side of the field, maybe even on special teams, what don't you people understand? Stop acting as if we traded for a "backup quarterback" to rot the bench.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-28-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We have one of the best back up qbs in the league. If Sanchez gets hurt or struggles, we have a guy that can win games.

We get imo the best backup in the league, and some are heckling him at practice. Were these same fans heckling brunell last year?

Again, telling him to throw when he should be throwing the ball isn't heckling. Just because you love the guy its stupid to make it into something its not.

And Brunnell was really heckled at practices I went to and anytime he was on the field in preseason or regular season games.

Hall Of Fame

Its because some people recognize him for what he is, a back up QB, not the immortal QB with magical powers that a lot of people and the media have made him out to be.

I agree he is a nice back up option to have, but would not want him as my starter for an extended period of time.

Jets Insider VIP
    What does everyone want in a backup qb?

A guy that can rally the troops.
    A guy that can win games in a pinch.
    A guy the players respect.
    A leader

Tebow has all of that. Your not bringing joe montana off the bench.

We had brunell last year people. Why arent we cheering tebow at practice?

Hall Of Fame
    What does everyone want in a backup qb?

A guy that can rally the troops.
    A guy that can win games in a pinch.
    A guy the players respect.
    A leade

Tebow has all of that. Your not bringing joe montana off the bench.

We had brunell last year people. Why arent we cheering tebow at practice?
    Because he was playing like s**t.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Actually I see less hate for Tebow and more hate for his blind followers who hype him to no end strictly due to his religious beliefs.

Because that is annoying as can be.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Again, telling him to throw when he should be throwing the ball isn't heckling. Just because you love the guy its stupid to make it into something its not.

And Brunnell was really heckled at practices I went to and anytime he was on the field in preseason or regular season games.
    Exactly. It's not a round of golf. Everyone would be yelling the exact same thing during the game, why is this any different?