Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Day 3 Camp Updates - Hitting Time

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The tempo is up in the team drills. But that is when Sparano is running things. Maybe it is Matt Cavanaugh and how he runs the position drills for the QBs. I was surprised the Jets didn't get rid of him.
    He's one of Rex's guys...He hired him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Do you think he can be an every down player?
    Absolutely, I think he is gifted and has great coaching and system to benefit from. Putting on and keeping weight is rarely a problem as you become a veteran.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tempo is up in the team drills. But that is when Sparano is running things. Maybe it is Matt Cavanaugh and how he runs the position drills for the QBs. I was surprised the Jets didn't get rid of him.
    +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cavanaugh turned nobodies like Kyle Boller, Chris Redman, Elvis Grbac and Anthony Wright into hall of famers. You can't argue with the results.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta love the reports on Aaron Maybin thus far through 3 training camp practices. If he can develop into an every down OLB with added weight, while providing his type of pass rush on a constant basis? The potential of our defense goes through the roof.

With all of our safety questions, it's nice to see not only LaRnon Landry in pads, but also Antonio Allen starting to make a rookie name for himself with two defensive INT's. I've been very high on this 7th rounder as a potential 'sleeper'. For some reason, he just reminds me of a younger (before the twitter) Kerry Rhodes, that's in regards to his style of play back there. Each time I've seen him on film? I've thought to myself, 'Kerry Rhodes'. Speaking of our secondary, we all know about Revis, Cromartie and Wilson, but man has it been nice to hear about Ellis Lankster on a constant basis, and not about making mistakes either. It's well known, or at least has been mentioned that our defensive line (after the addition of Coples) is the strongest it's ever been during the Ryan era, but it also appears as if our secondary is strong as ever (as well). Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Landry, Bell and/or Allen/Smith.

What about Joe McKnight? We've heard nothing but strong reports regarding McKnight the entire season. From JetsWest to JetsEast, and now he's making offensive noise thus far through training camp. Special teams ace? Without question, but it seems as if a 3rd year McKnight is prime for an offensive emergence as a #2, and yes, as being possibly our next feature back. We could be on the verge of having a Thunder (Greene) and Lightning (McKnight) HB duo. Thunder/Lightning and/or Lightning/Thunder; it's just been nice to see McKnight make progress each and every offseason.

The news about Revis isn't heartwarming, but we'll see how tomorrow plays out. As of right now, I'm currently taking a 'wait and see' approach in regards to this Otah situation, but guys such as Demario Davis (Hammy?) and Jeremy Kerley (production) have been disappointing thus far.

We may have found something in Ricky Sapp though. Hes been a very underrated topic of discussion thus far through the offseason. Could be another Aaron Maybin type of situation. Kid brings that speed factor coming off the edge (as well); just the fact that he seems to be fully healthy has been encouraging. When running a 4-3 defense, we could see Wilkerson/Coples at NT with Sapp and Maybin rushing off the edge; talk about speed. Or even a 3-4 D-Line featuring Coples, Pouha/Ellis and Wilkerson as our 3-4 NT/DE's (setting the edge(s) with Sapp and Maybin rushing from the edge (spelling Pace).

It's been a fun training camp to follow through three days, look forward to our up coming reports moving forward. I'm also glad to see Sanchez being looked at as our offensive leader moving forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4527181]Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Greg McElroy just threw a bomb to Scotty McKnight.

This can't be true.I have been told by many that this kid don't have the arm strength to do this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Gotta love the reports on Aaron Maybin thus far through 3 training camp practices. If he can develop into an every down OLB with added weight, while providing his type of pass rush on a constant basis? The potential of our defense goes through the roof.

With all of our safety questions, it's nice to see not only LaRnon Landry in pads, but also Antonio Allen starting to make a rookie name for himself with two defensive INT's. I've been very high on this 7th rounder as a potential 'sleeper'. For some reason, he just reminds me of a younger (before the twitter) Kerry Rhodes, that's in regards to his style of play back there. Each time I've seen him on film? I've thought to myself, 'Kerry Rhodes'. Speaking of our secondary, we all know about Revis, Cromartie and Wilson, but man has it been nice to hear about Ellis Lankster on a constant basis, and not about making mistakes either. It's well known, or at least has been mentioned that our defensive line (after the addition of Coples) is the strongest it's ever been during the Ryan era, but it also appears as if our secondary is strong as ever (as well). Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Landry, Bell and/or Allen/Smith.

What about Joe McKnight? We've heard nothing but strong reports regarding McKnight the entire season. From JetsWest to JetsEast, and now he's making offensive noise thus far through training camp. Special teams ace? Without question, but it seems as if a 3rd year McKnight is prime for an offensive emergence as a #2, and yes, as being possibly our next feature back. We could be on the verge of having a Thunder (Greene) and Lightning (McKnight) HB duo. Thunder/Lightning and/or Lightning/Thunder; it's just been nice to see McKnight make progress each and every offseason.

The news about Revis isn't heartwarming, but we'll see how tomorrow plays out. As of right now, I'm currently taking a 'wait and see' approach in regards to this Otah situation, but guys such as Demario Davis (Hammy?) and Jeremy Kerley (production) have been disappointing thus far.

We may have found something in Ricky Sapp though. Hes been a very underrated topic of discussion thus far through the offseason. Could be another Aaron Maybin type of situation. Kid brings that speed factor coming off the edge (as well); just the fact that he seems to be fully healthy has been encouraging. When running a 4-3 defense, we could see Wilkerson/Coples at NT with Sapp and Maybin rushing off the edge; talk about speed. Or even a 3-4 D-Line featuring Coples, Pouha/Ellis and Wilkerson as our 3-4 NT/DE's (setting the edge(s) with Sapp and Maybin rushing from the edge (spelling Pace).

It's been a fun training camp to follow through three days, look forward to our up coming reports moving forward. I'm also glad to see Sanchez being looked at as our offensive leader moving forward.

I have been talking about Sapp as being a huge sleeper for this team. If he could bring some pressure, along with Maybin, this Defense would be brought to another level.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4527860]
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Greg McElroy just threw a bomb to Scotty McKnight.

This can't be true.I have been told by many that this kid don't have the arm strength to do this.
    **** it was likely a high lob (by NFL standards); throw it high enough...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4528137]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

**** it was likely a high lob (by NFL standards); throw it high enough...
    Thank u for the clarification.

Carry on

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will agree to disagree. And I am not reading body language, it was effort.

Manning is legendary for his preparation (among other things). He is a perfectionist who practices the way he plays and it shows. That is what sets him apart. And it was a pretty much apples to apples comparison b.c they were doing a similar drill during warmups.

Maybe it is unfair to compare our QBs to Manning b.c he is just a different animal than everyone else. But there is a difference in the way he practices/prepares.
    I think that is what it all boils down to. I don't doubt your stance/claim at all. It's likely true.

The thing is though that none of our QB's will likely ever have the kind of confidence in their own abilities to practice like Manning. Manning is one of the best examples you could possibly ever come up with. It's all downhill from Manning.

Sanchez and Tebow just need to figure out what they do well and try to create themselves a niche surrounding that ability.

Sanchez we already know is good at play action and roll outs. Before last season, he was always good at the long ball. So Sanchez and Sparano need to cook up schemes surrounding those abilities. Now, I'm not saying I condone this in regards to Sanchez. This is his 4th season and he should have gotten it by now. But the fact still remains that his game needs to improve. He's also our starting QB. So the CS needs to give him all the support/coaching needed for him to elevate his game.

Tebow really needs to radically alter just about everything he does in regards to the QB position. I just don't believe he could ever be successful given the way he currently plays the QB position.