Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golf Thread

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1520 View Post
    Looking for some advice as a beginner if anyone doesn't mind sharing.

How did you learn the game/ get respectable at it?

This is my first year playing. I bought some decent irons for a beginner, Taylormade Burner X set, which I was told are "forgiving".

I did a 4 lesson package a few weeks ago where I got marginally better, but still more often than not, I am hitting grounders and line drives rather than getting loft on the ball.

Wondering if I should take more lessons this year, or... Hold off, work on what I learned, and what until next year to take up lessons again.
    I'd stick with the lessons - the more you learn to swing the right way in the beginning, the less you have to unlearn bad habits. BUT, make sure you are able to get out on the course, or at least to the range, in between lessons and work on what he/she taught you. Otherwise, its kinda pointless. Depending on how much you play, perhaps go for a package of lessons a season and take one every two - three weeks so you can get some time on the course, work on what you learned and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleShark View Post
    I've been playing for about 4 years. Down to an 8.7 handicap after my forced month long vacation. Just got the new R11S driver. its wonderful with all the adjusting you can do.
    4 years and down to single digits? Damn....I've been playing for about 5 years now and am happy when I break 100.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    If you are a 13hcp or higher..makes no difference IMO. there are a TON of guys at my club, mainly older retired guys who break 80 all the time. They play DT solo, NXT or several other mid range balls. I also like the Bridgestone E6.

I play a Burner driver, burner 2.o irons, ping putter.
    That's my take as well. I'm a high handicapper and I really doubt playing a Pro V1 is going to do anything to my game to warrant paying $3-$4 a ball when I may lose 6-8 balls a round (of course, I play whatever I find as well).

For whatever reason, I decided that Mojos would be my ball until I'm good enough to care. I buy them 4 dozen at a time on ebay for about $8 a dozen. Thankfully, my purchase from last year is still doing me OK. They're perfectly fine for me. They're round, have dimples and go really far when I hit them well. Conversely, they'll go way left when I slice it. Just like any other ball.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    The idea of playing 36 holes sounds great and all...

But I just couldn't do it.
    I hear ya. It may be scaled back to 27, which is probably ideal. There are times when you play a great round of golf (when you have no rush to go home - which I usually am), when you would love to still play. Playing 18, having lunch and a cold one or two and then going out to play another 9, isn't a bad option.

I've played 36 before on a couple of occasions. You are weary as hell by the time youre done.
    Last edited by crasherino; 07-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been playing for about 4 years. Down to an 8.7 handicap after my forced month long vacation. Just got the new R11S driver. its wonderful with all the adjusting you can do.
    All due respect...an 8.7 after 4 years is very impressive, almost "unbelievable".
    I have played with so many people that tell me that and when I watch them play, they hit a 2nd ball, drop in the fairway when they lost their ball etc....

I play in a club where we play by the rules and for example, the average player "muni" who hits out of bounds usually drops one where he went out with a very liberal drop. In fact you should hit from the tee your 3rd shot. We never move the ball etc.

But that said..8.7 is outstanding.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    All due respect...an 8.7 after 4 years is very impressive, almost "unbelievable".
    I have played with so many people that tell me that and when I watch them play, they hit a 2nd ball, drop in the fairway when they lost their ball etc....

I play in a club where we play by the rules and for example, the average player "muni" who hits out of bounds usually drops one where he went out with a very liberal drop. In fact you should hit from the tee your 3rd shot. We never move the ball etc.

But that said..8.7 is outstanding.
    When I play with my friends, we also generally take a provosional from the tee when it looks like its OB or has the potential to be lost. But having said that, stroke and distance is really a stupid, overly punitive rule of golf - especially for amateur/leisure players. More than anything, it takes time. Especially if you are going to send someone back to the tee box after finding a ball OB or losing one.

JMO, they should amend the rules in that respect - at least for us hackers. Nothing wrong with the Pros having another set to follow. I realize that you can obviously do whatever you want in the confines of your own specific game but you want to follow the rules as closely as possible and when you play with different people you would like to have a standardized practice that's realistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    When I play with my friends, we also generally take a provosional from the tee when it looks like its OB or has the potential to be lost. But having said that, stroke and distance is really a stupid, overly punitive rule of golf - especially for amateur/leisure players. More than anything, it takes time. Especially if you are going to send someone back to the tee box after finding a ball OB or losing one.

JMO, they should amend the rules in that respect - at least for us hackers. Nothing wrong with the Pros having another set to follow. I realize that you can obviously do whatever you want in the confines of your own specific game but you want to follow the rules as closely as possible and when you play with different people you would like to have a standardized practice that's realistic.
    Totally understood. My point was simply when I played more "casually", I would hit my 3rd shot from the fairway or 1st cut when I was OB because you CANT go back on a public course.

But if you do that, take a few other liberal drops, use one foor wedge, you are NOT a true 8.7 or whatever. I am a 14 and I practice once a week, play at least once a week and have taken lessons.

All the guys better than me (at my club) are practicing 2X a week or more, playing once a week, putt for an hour or so etc... it is VERY VERY VERY hard to be a 10 or better if you follow all the rules. Think about it. ONE OB or lost ball and 2, 3 putts and you are at basically 77, 78. That assumes NO OTHER MISTAKES. A 10 handicap breaks 80 almost half the time.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

I've been very lucky having a lot of time to play and a fortunate living situation where rent isn't an issue right now. I've always been very good at sports and everyone I play with is better than I am. My obsessive personality and serious hate for losing forced me to get good. Now that I'm back at work I'll be sneaking out the back door early again to get some extra holes in everyday. Good times.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    But for any new player the most important thing is short game. Getting really accurate and consistent from inside 50 yards is key. Any clown can get close to/on the green in two shots but not everyone can get to a few feet with their next shot or two. Get some practice balls and get crazy with wedges.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But for any new player the most important thing is short game. Getting really accurate and consistent from inside 50 yards is key. Any clown can get close to/on the green in two shots but not everyone can get to a few feet with their next shot or two. Get some practice balls and get crazy with wedges.
    EVERY good player agrees with this and knows it is true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see it all the time. Golfers constantly roll their ball over, give themselves a better lie, mulligans and gimme putts. Then they put their handicaps in and when they play in a tourney where they can't do that, their scores are much higher.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I see it all the time. Golfers constantly roll their ball over, give themselves a better lie, mulligans and gimme putts. Then they put their handicaps in and when they play in a tourney where they can't do that, their scores are much higher.
    Yep, people dont play by the rules. I was watching my friend qualify for the US Pub Links and his playing partner shot a 98 while my friend shot a 64. It was brutal to watch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went out the other night to "walk the dogs". They sniffed out 42 balls.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Went out the other night to "walk the dogs". They sniffed out 42 balls.
    Buddy has his backyard right in Shanksville... He hasn't bought a ball in years...

On the downside, he's had to replace quite a few windows...

I don't envy him. Your idea is much better...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, is this ever true.

Btw, I've driven the green on a par 4 near me twice, and BOTH times I three putted

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    LOL, is this ever true.

Btw, I've driven the green on a par 4 near me twice, and BOTH times I three putted

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that. This is why I'll occasionally carry 5 in my bag, not including my PW. My PW is 44* and I need another wedge (48*) to close the gap between my PW and my GW (52*).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Amen to that. This is why I'll occasionally carry 5 in my bag, not including my PW. My PW is 44* and I need another wedge (48*) to close the gap between my PW and my GW (52*).
    Then there are guys like my brother in law. Solid player, 14 hcp or so, only. Only uses a 56 degree and has religiously figured out how to hit it 90 yards or 20 by closing the face etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then there are guys like my brother in law. Solid player, 14 hcp or so, only. Only uses a 56 degree and has religiously figured out how to hit it 90 yards or 20 by closing the face etc.
    I'm kinda like that with my 64* wedge. Depending on the lie, I'll use it anywhere from 50 yards and in. I really have to give a full, fast swing to hit it that far though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I'm kinda like that with my 64* wedge. Depending on the lie, I'll use it anywhere from 50 yards and in. I really have to give a full, fast swing to hit it that far though.
    I'm old school. I carry a 58 as my most lofted wedge. I was told by a pretty good instructor that an amatuer really should NOT carry anything over a 60.

Be kool..this threads been fun.