Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Golf Thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    36 holes in one day? Most I ever did was 27 and was beat. More mentally than physically. Have a great time and enjoy.
    Enjoy! About five years ago I used to go down to Isleworth in the Orlando area with a group of guys from my club up here. Forget 36, we would play 54 holes a day. Basically you start at 7:30 am in carts and don't stop, eating lunch for example in the cart. One of my friends down there is also a bud and former neighbor of Tiger's and he thought we were crazy. He would drive around behind us trying to mess with us. Tiger's golf cart has these huge speakers (and also goes about 30 mph) and he would blare 80's rock music at us.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Enjoy! About five years ago I used to go down to Isleworth in the Orlando area with a group of guys from my club up here. Forget 36, we would play 54 holes a day. Basically you start at 7:30 am in carts and don't stop, eating lunch for example in the cart. One of my friends down there is also a bud and former neighbor of Tiger's and he thought we were crazy. He would drive around behind us trying to mess with us. Tiger's golf cart has these huge speakers (and also goes about 30 mph) and he would blare 80's rock music at us.
    I read Hank Haney's book earlier this summer. He talks a lot about Isleworth. Seems like back in the day, if you were on the range, you'd see Tiger there all the time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Nice. It's a deal I made with the wife. I can play any time I want at LI Nat as long as Im back at the house by 10:30.
    I have a similar arrangement with my wife whilst on vacation - although 10:30 is a bit ambitious. If I can make it home by 11:30, she's cool with it.

I assuming he isn't hung over from partying in Dewey, I grab NYJCAP2 and hit the links with morning dew.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

In the mail. Add me to the Scotty Cameron Cult.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    That's awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post

You're going to love it.

Here's mine...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to love it.

Here's mine...

I hit a bunch. I loved the californias as well, but they didn't have a 34" newport 2 like they did in the select. The deep grooves are the perfect touch for me rather than the click of the studio selects. I actually almost went 33", but figured I could always cut this one down if need be. I think most people's putters are too long these days. I actually had a hard time between the newport 2 and the del mar, but I think perpendicular alignment fits my eye better. Either way can't WAIT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hit a bunch. I loved the californias as well, but they didn't have a 34" newport 2 like they did in the select. The deep grooves are the perfect touch for me rather than the click of the studio selects. I actually almost went 33", but figured I could always cut this one down if need be. I think most people's putters are too long these days. I actually had a hard time between the newport 2 and the del mar, but I think perpendicular alignment fits my eye better. Either way can't WAIT.
    You'll ruin the club. Scotty's are balanced according to their length.

My Del Mar is 34" as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll ruin the club. Scotty's are balanced according to their length.

My Del Mar is 34" as well.
    I'd use the custom shop so that wouldnt be a problem. They cut it to 33 and add 20g weights. How tall are you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd use the custom shop so that wouldnt be a problem. They cut it to 33 and add 20g weights. How tall are you?
    7'4"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    7'4"
    That's a lot of red cloth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of red cloth.

I'm 6'.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've actually met Tiger a few times. He's one cool dude!

One time we had finished playing at Isleworth and were chipping and putting on the practice green at the far end of the range. An assistant in a cart comes out and asked us to leave the green because Tiger, who was on the far end of the range with Mark O'Meara, wanted to hit driver. So we get off the green and Tiger starts flying balls onto the green, 305 carry, with a driver probably two technologies ago. Amazing! I'm a real Tiger fan and I hope he surpasses Jack's major record.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I read Hank Haney's book earlier this summer. He talks a lot about Isleworth. Seems like back in the day, if you were on the range, you'd see Tiger there all the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't get fitted???? It would seem to me you should.

I use a PING Anser and really like it. I was fitted so the lie was adjusted.

I could easily see myself getting the Cameron but would think it should be fitted.

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You didn't get fitted???? It would seem to me you should.

I use a PING Anser and really like it. I was fitted so the lie was adjusted.

I could easily see myself getting the Cameron but would think it should be fitted.

Thoughts?
    I absolutely agree that you should. The Scotty Cameron custom shop is great for post purchase adjustments, but you obviously want to be as close as possible if you're going to go that route. I went to a few places in Manhattan, but they mainly fit you for style putter/head type/length rather than the specific lie angle/offset etc. I may get that done and send it back in one day when I am confident in my putting stroke with this putter. That said, if you can definitely do it in the first place. Obviously the Newport 2 and some of the others straight steal from the Anser so I see why you might be intersted in the Camerons. I hit a ton of putters and LOVED the select. Good luck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Qualified for the NJ State FourBall a few weeks ago. 41 teams headed to Essex County CC this Monday. Low 16 qualify for match play. Going to try and qualify for the US Mid Am on 8/13. Game has been a little off lately. Hopefully I can get it back together.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as we're showing off our Scotties, here's mine. It looks goofy but I love it. I actually won it in a raffle at an outing and immediately was going to trade it in for something different, but I tried it once and I was hooked.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I play the following...

Driver: Srixon Z-TX 9.5* stiff
    3 wood: Srixon Z-TX 19* stiff
    3 hybrid: Mizuno JPX 800 23* stiff
    Irons: 5-PW Srixon Z-Star stiff
    Wedges: 48* Cleveland CG12, 52* Cleveland CG15, 56* Mizuno MP-T 10, 60* Mizuno MP-T 10
    Depending how I'm hitting it, sometimes I'll ditch the 60* for my 64* Bobby Jones X
    Putter: 2011 Scotty Cameron California Del Mar, 34''
    MY CURRENT LINEUP: (I'm an equipment junkie.)

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5 with Mitsubishi Fubuki 60 alpha stiff, 44.5 inches ( 1 inch short) with Tour Department double cog hosel adjuster.
    3 and 5 Wood - Callaway RAZR Fit with Matrix X-Con 6 Stiff
    21 degree hybrid - Callaway RAZR with Matrix Altus Stiff Hybrid shaft (83 gram).
    4-PW - Ping Anser Forged with Nippon Steel 95 Stiff Shafts
    54 and 60 degree - Ping Anser Forged with Nippon Steel Stiff Shafts
    Putter - Ping Anser 1 or Ping Nome, both 34.5 inches
    Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
    Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Ribbed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Has anyone played Berkshire Valley before? My plan of hitting Bethpage Black isn't gonna work as its closed in advance of the Barclays and we have now decided to move our destination to Jersey.

Never played it but I heard good things - especially as a Muni.

If anyone has any other suggestions - just looking for a good course within an hour's drive from NYC that the general public can access.
    I like Great Gorge in Vernon - it's about an hour from NYC and you can make tee times in advance. Also has 27 holes and some really nice views.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    41 on the front 47 on the back ...at the bar by 10:30, definitely a good day. I started out the back with an eagle putt on 10 which i promptly missed leading to my only 3 putt of the day, and a string off 3 doubles to follow, wrecked any chance of a special round.