Thread: Scalia says we may see gun regulation

Scalia says we may see gun regulation

i am not sounding any bells yet, but we gotta keep our eyes on this. Slowly but surely, they want to disarm us.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/scali...lated-20120729

Scalia: Guns May be Regulated
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailMore Sharing Services
    By John Aloysius Farrell
    Updated: July 29, 2012 | 11:41 a.m.
    July 29, 2012 | 10:03 a.m.

Justice Antonin Scalia, one of the Supreme Court's most vocal and conservative justices, said on Sunday that the Second Amendment leaves room for U.S. legislatures to regulate guns, including menacing hand-held weapons.
    "It will have to be decided in future cases," Scalia said on Fox News Sunday. But there were legal precedents from the days of the Founding Fathers that banned frightening weapons which a constitutional originalist like himself must recognize. There were also "locational limitations" on where weapons could be carried, the justice noted.
    (RELATED: 3 Steps Obama Can Take on Gun Control)

When asked if that kind of precedent would apply to assault weapons, or 100-round ammunition magazines like those used in the recent Colorado movie theater massacre, Scalia declined to speculate. "We'll see," he said. '"It will have to be decided."
    As an originalist scholar, Scalia looks to the text of the Constitution—which confirms the right to bear arms—but also the context of 18th-century history. “They had some limitations on the nature of arms that could be borne," he told host Chris Wallace.
    In a wide-ranging interview, Scalia also stuck by his criticism of Chief Justice John Roberts and the majority opinion in the ruling that upheld the Affordable Care Act this summer. "You don't interpret a penalty to be a pig. It can't be a pig," said Scalia, of the court's decision to call the penalty for not obtaining health insurance a tax. "There is no way to regard this penalty as a tax."
    Scalia, a septuagenarian, said he had given no thought to retiring. "My wife doesn't want me hanging around the house," he joked. But he did say he would try to time his retirement from the court so that a justice of similar conservative sentiments would take his place, presumably as the appointee of a Republican president. "Of course I would not like to be replaced by somebody who sets out immediately to undo" what he has spent decades trying to achieve, the justice said.

God I hope not.

We all need our 100-round assault weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by NxYxJets View Post
    Slowly but surely, they want to disarm us.
    It's the long con.....

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    God I hope not.

We all need our 100-round assault weapons.
    This is just the beginning. I read today that legislation was introduced to ban online ammunition sales. Little by little, the second amendment is under attack.

All League
    The 2nd has been under attack for a long, long time.

The reality is that things have actually gotten better in the last 8 or 10 years, in regards to gun rights.

I think there is a good chance that high capacity magazines are banned again in the near future, that's a maybe, but I do not think we will see a reenactment of Clinton's assault weapons ban.

Gun and ammo sales are still rising, the people want guns.

This is just the beginning. I read today that legislation was introduced to ban online ammunition sales. Little by little, the second amendment is under attack.
    Ban online ammo sales? Heavens. We'll have to brave the line at Wal-Mart.

What is an assualt weapon? So far as I know it is an automatic weapon. The weapons the murderer used shot one bullet at a time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is the beginning? This is the first time you've noticed a regulation with respect to your fire arms? The Supreme Court only last year recognized that owning of a handgun was a Constitutional right. Prior to that, multiple jurisdictions had an outright ban on handgun ownership.

But regulation is just beginning? OK....

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This is the beginning? This is the first time you've noticed a regulation with respect to your fire arms? The Supreme Court only last year recognized that owning of a handgun was a Constitutional right. Prior to that, multiple jurisdictions had an outright ban on handgun ownership.

But regulation is just beginning? OK....
    I am referring to the beginning of big gov's effort to nix the 2nd amendment. It will not be easy for them to do so, but they will try hard. I have only become a gun owner in the last few years, before that it never mattered to me.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    It's the long con.....
    yup

and they have been playing that con like a Stradivarius.

The other long con is abortion.

All League
    I am referring to the beginning of big gov's effort to nix the 2nd amendment. It will not be easy for them to do so, but they will try hard. I have only become a gun owner in the last few years, before that it never mattered to me.
    It is impossible

Article. V.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Ban online ammo sales? Heavens. We'll have to brave the line at Wal-Mart.
    ================================

Target ammo for my 9mm at Walmart runs some where about $80 for 250 rounds, on line I can find similar ammo for the 9mm at or near $160 for 1,000 rounds delivered UPS to my door.

Don't mess with my online ammo source.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It is impossible
    I checked out thirtythousand.org....great stuff and I never even thought about it. I will tell everyone I can about it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================

Target ammo for my 9mm at Walmart runs some where about $80 for 250 rounds, on line I can find similar ammo for the 9mm at or near $160 for 1,000 rounds delivered UPS to my door.

Don't mess with my online ammo source.
    2nd amendment guarantees you the right to bear arms. It doesn't say anything about 50% off ammo at select dealers.

Freedom ain't free.....or even cheap. If it were, you'd have a G by now. And me a C.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    2nd amendment guarantees you the right to bear arms. It doesn't say anything about 50% off ammo at select dealers.

Freedom ain't free.....or even cheap. If it were, you'd have a G by now. And me a C.
    It just occurred to me

Amendment II
    Right to bear arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    no mention of the right to have ammunition for those arms

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It just occurred to me

no mention of the right to have ammunition for those arms
    You're a friggin' eejit...

All League
    Ammo sales via the USPS has been around since the first post office.

Scoundrels, wanting to increase my cost for ammo.

Jets Insider VIP
    F*cking ridiculous

So because a couple of deranged psychopaths go on a killing spree here and there, every citizen has to pay for it?

Stricter gun regulations won't do dick to solve the problem. It's not like you can buy a gun on the street or anything, especially in major cities.