Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slot Receiver spot up for grabs?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Slot Receiver spot up for grabs?

Haven't seen this posted. Per roto...

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal confirmed Sunday that the team's slot receiver position is up for grabs.

Jeremy Kerley is the incumbent, but had a poor offseason and opened training camp with a hamstring injury. "We’re going to put the best three on the field, whoever that may be," Lal explained. "If (seventh-round rookie) Jordan White comes back strong, he could be an inside player. ... The guy has some instincts."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Kerley a lot, but he's smallish and some of his utility was in the wildcat.

With Tebow, that's not so important anymore.

Having said that, Jordan White caught a billion balls in college, that can't be by chance or luck.

He's got to have outstanding hands and run great routes, it's just a matter of whether he can get seperation.

_

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerley will be back and he's the most ideal slot guy. motivation tactics by Rex

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I like Kerley a lot, but he's smallish and some of his utility was in the wildcat.

Having said that, Jordan White caught a billion balls in college, that can't be by chance or luck.

He's got to have outstanding hands and run great routes, it's just a matter of whether he can get seperation.

_
    IF Schillens ever stays healthy for more than a two game stretch, you could put Holmes in the slot and have Hill and Schillens on the outside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What did Kerley do, kill the coaches dogs in the off season? Seems like he is on a couple of the coaches s**t lists the camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    IF Schillens ever stays healthy for more than a two game stretch, you could put Holmes in the slot and have Hill and Schillens on the outside.
    Our WR and TE corp is going to be HUGE and FAST.

Schilens, Hill, Cumberland, Turner, Ganaway, Hayden Smith--hell Keller and Holmes are short.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Kerley will be back and he's the most ideal slot guy. motivation tactics by Rex
    I really feel that this could be true.

Rex never really calls players out like this. I doubt he suddenly changed that philosophy.

Kerley showed to much in real games last year to be killed after 3 practices.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our WR and TE corp is going to be HUGE and FAST.

Schilens, Hill, Cumberland, Turner, Ganaway, Hayden Smith--hell Keller and Holmes are short.

_
    I agree. I know there is not a lot of experience in there, but even if a couple of those guys pan out to be regular contributors, you have a nice offense. Speed AND size is something this team has lacked for a while.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Rex never really calls players out like this. I doubt he suddenly changed that philosophy.

I can also see Holmes playing inside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Exactly.

Two tall fast guys on the edge spreading the field will leave a lot of room to operate for Holmes.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    +1

I don't see anyone being set at a position at WR this year...I think we'll see a lot of movement

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

_
    I'd be much higher on Jordan White if he weren't 24 years of age (as only a rookie) due to 6 years of college eligibility. For example, Stephen Hill is only 21 years of age with (hopefully) 3 years of NFL experience before turning 24 (Jordan White's current age). With all that said, this kid seems to be a real talent though. And you're right, also caught a boat load of college passes.

306 career receptions with Western Michigan. Put consecutive seasons of monster production (2010 and 2011). During the 2010 season, he put up 94 receptions, 1,378 receiving yards and 10 TD receptions. Last season, he put up 140 receptions, 1,911 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions.

I mean, the kid combined for 234 receptions, 3,289 receiving yards to go along with 27 TD receptions during his final two college seasons. He also seems like a natural slot wide receiver, so having both Kerley and White for our slot WR's could provide strong talent and/or solid depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLm...eature=related
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-30-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

I think it's true as well. Kerley was the best wr we had last year. I think he can be better than Holmes this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think Rex is trying to motivate Kerley, but it sounds like he hasn't been to impressive so let's hope he gets motivated and wins the ****ing job...because plan B is Scotty ****ing Mcknight and his hot GF.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Slot was up for grabs no matter what. They brought in
    Schilens to compete with Kerley then drafted Hill to compete with them both. That was a stand off to begin with IMO. If anyone excels enough to actually jump over one of those guys I'd be thrilled.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Think they're just trying to light a fire under Kerley's ass

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I'd be much higher on Jordan White if he weren't 24 years of age (as only a rookie) due to 6 years of college eligibility. For example, Stephen Hill is only 21 years of age with (hopefully) 3 years of NFL experience before turning 24 (Jordan White's current age). With all that said, this kid seems to be a real talent though. And you're right, also caught a boat load of college passes.

306 career receptions with West Virginia University. Put consecutive seasons of monster production (2010 and 2011). During the 2010 season, he put up 94 receptions, 1,378 receiving yards and 10 TD receptions. Last season, he put up 140 receptions, 1,911 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions.

I mean, the kid combined for 234 receptions, 3,289 receiving yards to go along with 27 TD receptions during his final two college seasons. He also seems like a natural slot wide receiver, so having both Kerley and White for our slot WR's could provide strong talent and/or solid depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLm...eature=related

Yeah at 24 he's clearly peaked.

WTF are you talking about? If anything, he's likely more mature and can better handle the transition mentally than a 20-22 year old. You're worried that he might only give the Jet's 6-8 years instead of 8-10?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I think it's true as well. Kerley was the best wr we had last year. I think he can be better than Holmes this season.
    Yeah 30 catches for 300 yards. He didn't exactly set the league on fire. Apparently he's not picking up the new option system, whether through laziness, or intelligence. We need him to step up, or he'll be replaced. We need a slot receiver. I'm also hoping Baker can be that h-back that can give us more versatility when teams stack the box.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4527866]I'd be much higher on Jordan White if he weren't 24 years of age (as only a rookie) due to 6 years of college eligibility. For example, Stephen Hill is only 21 years of age with (hopefully) 3 years of NFL experience before turning 24 (Jordan White's current age). With all that said, this kid seems to be a real talent though. And you're right, also caught a boat load of college passes.

306 career receptions with West Virginia University. Put consecutive seasons of monster production (2010 and 2011). During the 2010 season, he put up 94 receptions, 1,378 receiving yards and 10 TD receptions. Last season, he put up 140 receptions, 1,911 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions.

Western Michigan

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three words:

multidirectional motivational smokescreen