Thread: Direct tv question

Direct tv question

I just got Direct Tv yesterday and got the NFL Sunday Ticket for free...I live in the new haven area in ct (Branford) I was told direct TV blacked out the Jets games if they are shown on your local stations... I have CBS 2 new york but it's not in HD I was wondering if I can still watch the Jets in HD with the Sunday Ticket??.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I just got Direct Tv yesterday and got the NFL Sunday Ticket for free...I live in the new haven area in ct (Branford) I was told direct TV blacked out the Jets games if they are shown on your local stations... I have CBS 2 new york but it's not in HD I was wondering if I can still watch the Jets in HD with the Sunday Ticket??.
    I'm 99% sure you're stuck with standard def. If the game is on locally on CBS it will be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket channel. Question - why don't you have CBS in high def? You can get local channels in high def thru DirecTV or you can get them OTA with an antenna.

All League
    First off - did you subscribe to the HD package? If so, you should be getting WCBS in HD. Check your guide closely to see if there is both a regular and HD version of the channel.

Also, Branford is in the Hartford - New Haven broadcast area for Directv. Therefore, you should be getting WFSB channel 3 as your CBS affiliate and WTIC channel 61 as your FOX affiliate. If this was the case, then you'd get the Jets games as part of the Sunday ticket except for the few times they'd be on those two channels. I'd recommend calling Directv first to check on the HD status of WCBS. I'd only ask to be switched to the Connecticut stations as a last resort, since this would possibly lead to your getting the Boston sports networks instead of MSG, YES, and SNY.

Hope this helps.

All League
    Okay, I just checked the Directv website and it states you are getting FOX, CBS, and NBC from NY in addition to getting your Connecticut locals. Perhaps the HD feeds are not available to protect your local affiliates. If this is the case, call Directv and make sure you'll be getting the Jets games in HD! Hopefully, their games will be a part of the Sunday Ticket and it will be a non-issue.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packPr...uestid=1804120

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    First off - did you subscribe to the HD package? If so, you should be getting WCBS in HD. Check your guide closely to see if there is both a regular and HD version of the channel.

Also, Branford is in the Hartford - New Haven broadcast area for Directv. Therefore, you should be getting WFSB channel 3 as your CBS affiliate and WTIC channel 61 as your FOX affiliate. If this was the case, then you'd get the Jets games as part of the Sunday ticket except for the few times they'd be on those two channels. I'd recommend calling Directv first to check on the HD status of WCBS. I'd only ask to be switched to the Connecticut stations as a last resort, since this would possibly lead to your getting the Boston sports networks instead of MSG, YES, and SNY.

Hope this helps.
    I do get WFSB in HD I just dont get WCBS in HD. WFSB usually shows the Patriots...I called Direct TV they said if its on my local channels its blacked out on the Sunday ticket...I had the same issue with Comcast...

Jets Insider VIP
    Call DTV and ask them if this is the case. If so, just work them for free Sunday Ticket... which by the way, you should have done in the first place.

If you can't get it in HD, ***** moan and complain. Tell them you want to cancel the service. If you are locked into a contract, tell them you are one and done. They will usually do what they can to make you happy and you should get Sunday Ticket free.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Call DTV and ask them if this is the case. If so, just work them for free Sunday Ticket... which by the way, you should have done in the first place.

If you can't get it in HD, ***** moan and complain. Tell them you want to cancel the service. If you are locked into a contract, tell them you are one and done. They will usually do what they can to make you happy and you should get Sunday Ticket free.
    I have NFL sunday ticket for free.... I just don't want the Jets game blacked out and they force me to watch it on a non-HD channel....

All League
    I have NFL sunday ticket for free.... I just don't want the Jets game blacked out and they force me to watch it on a non-HD channel....
    There is a remote chance the Jets games won't be blacked out on the Sunday ticket. Keep one thing in mind - your situation is one most CSRs are unfamiliar with. You will probably have to go to a supervisor to get a knowledgeable answer.

All Pro
    This has been answered before.

You need an DirecTV HD Dish/Antenna, DirecTV HD STB/VCR and
    HD TV of some kind to see DirecTV HD TV programming.

You next need to configure the settings (SETUP) in the STB/VCR to see programs in HD.

SundayTicket does black out local broadcasts. At home (NYC area) or at NM (NJ) when I change to the ST channel for the Jets game (700 series) its indicated as such. I can still receive Ch. 2 WCBS-TV in SD or HD via DTV or OTA antenna.

If WCBS-TV is not in your installed locals configuration SD or HD you may/should still see it as East Coast Default for CBS - "CBS East" Channel 390... also WNYW-TV Fox East Channel 398. These have SD and HD flavors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...00.E2.80.93399
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 07-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    This has been answered before.

You need an DirecTV HD Dish/Antenna, DirecTV HD STB/VCR and
    HD TV of some kind to see DirecTV HD TV programming.

You next need to configure the settings (SETUP) in the STB/VCR to see programs in HD.

SundayTicket does black out local broadcasts. At home (NYC area) or at NM (NJ) when I change to the ST channel for the Jets game (700 series) its indicated as such. I can still receive Ch. 2 WCBS-TV in SD or HD via DTV or OTA antenna.

If WCBS-TV is not in your installed locals configuration SD or HD you may/should still see it as East Coast Default for CBS - "CBS East" Channel 390... also WNYW-TV Fox East Channel 398. These have SD and HD flavors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...00.E2.80.93399
    Called Direct TV CBS 2 is only broadcasted in SD in my area. I have no idea how to get an antenna. Do I buy that from DTV? and I called to get 390 and they said I cant get it because cbs 2 is a local channel..I appreciate any advice I just bought a 50 inch plasma....

All League
    Called Direct TV CBS 2 is only broadcasted in SD in my area. I have no idea how to get an antenna. Do I buy that from DTV? and I called to get 390 and they said I cant get it because cbs 2 is a local channel..I appreciate any advice I just bought a 50 inch plasma....
    Because you are in the Patriots broadcast area, I'm sure all Patsies games can only be viewed on your local affiliates, ie - Hartford. As for CBS 2, it really isn't your local affiliate. Instead, it's one of three channels available to you from a neighboring market. Therefore, it is possible Jets games not broadcasted on WFSB or WTIC will be available on the Sunday Ticket channels. If you have any friends or neighbors in town who have had Sunday Ticket, you might want to ask them if the Jets and Giants games are only available on WCBS and WNYW.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

There is a very easy solution for this but it comes with one caveat. I did this myself in New Hampshire for 14 years and my friend in California has been doing it for longer than that to this very day.

DirecTV's receivers are not smart and don't know where they are located. The programming you receive is based on your billing zip code. So if you give them a billing address (a friend or family member in NYC metro), tell them to charge the programming to a credit card, tell them to supress all mail and phone calls, you can fool DirecTV into giving you New York programming as if you lived in Manhattan or Long Island. You call them up, tell them you've moved, give them the new address, done.

The caveat is that you will lose your local Connecticut stations. CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC will all be the NYC broadcasts with our local news. When I was in that situation I simply got the cheapest cable TV package and got my local news that way.

And besides getting all Jets games in HD as anyone in NYC would, you also get SNY and YES and MSG for all the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Jets postgame shows at no extra charge (with the sports package) so no need for Sunday Ticket, Center Ice or any of those others if you like the other NY local sports teams.

This is the best option from a reception and financial standpoint.

SAR I

Sounds like something poor people would do...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    DirecTV's receivers are not smart and don't know where they are located. The programming you receive is based on your billing zip code. So if you give them a billing address (a friend or family member in NYC metro), tell them to charge the programming to a credit card, tell them to supress all mail and phone calls, you can fool DirecTV into giving you New York programming as if you lived in Manhattan or Long Island. You call them up, tell them you've moved, give them the new address, done.

And besides getting all Jets games in HD as anyone in NYC would, you also get SNY and YES and MSG for all the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Jets postgame shows at no extra charge (with the sports package) so no need for Sunday Ticket, Center Ice or any of those others if you like the other NY local sports teams.

SAR I
    I have considered doing this many times, but I really want my local LA channels. If the Knicks ever get good again, it might entice me into pulling the trigger.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    I have considered doing this many times, but I really want my local LA channels. If the Knicks ever get good again, it might entice me into pulling the trigger.
    Basic HD cable should only cost you $19.99 a month which is a lot less than NFL Sunday Ticket which you need out there to get the Jets. Coax cable goes right into the TV, no set top box mess needed. The SNY coverage is worth the price of admission alone.

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Basic HD cable should only cost you $19.99 a month which is a lot less than NFL Sunday Ticket which you need out there to get the Jets. Coax cable goes right into the TV, no set top box mess needed. The SNY coverage is worth the price of admission alone.

SAR I
    Having SNY during the football season is the main reason I keep Directv's Sports Pack

As for getting the NY networks, the main reason I don't is because I already have an overkill situation in regards to tv. In addition to Directv, I also carry the basic package for another satellite service from Canada. I initially got this service years ago for the purpose of getting East coast feeds because my work schedule required me to be up before the crack of dawn. This was back before the days when DVRs were commonplace. Additionally, it enabled me to get the Sunday Ticket at $100/yr - albeit without the bells and whistles offered by Directv.

All Pro
    Let me explain further. If you are paying for D* HD service and it was installed properly yu have an HD dish incorporating an Integrated LNB that is capable of receiving signals from both SD and HD satellites placed into earths orbit by D*.
    The installer was hopefully competent enough to aim the dish so it can receive signals from all 5 of them and also setup your TV to show all the picture formats with an HD receiver. If you do not have a D* hd receiver you can never get Hd programming via d*. It must also be connected with an hdmi cable and failing that a component or dvi cable with separate audio. Why would you not have hd?
    If not bring them back. Don't laff the nitwits from fios couldn't set up my sisters hd correctly after they split the coax for another room.
    Channel 390 is a default channel for the CBS network for the entire East Region of the US that every Eastern D* customer gets and that is WCBS New York whether you are in Buffalo baltimore ny or new haven. I live n of nyc and I get 390 in sd and hd. if you have Hd tune to 390-1 and see it. The dash key on the remote is for direct selection of Hd versions of channels if you dont wish to surf. Type 3 9 0 - 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_States))

D* will not sell or install an OTA over the air antenna. Good news if you have an existing one up on the roof or bolted to the chimbley you can reuse that with a coax adapter to screw into Antenna In. Tv stations went digital awhile back and you can receive hd signals they transmit via the same hd receiver D* sold you (antenna setup option) or a separate receiver else you just get SD.
    If you don't have one you can try what is sold at Best Buy or Radio Shack for starters but imo the best are "Yagi" shaped (look it up). I use a mini Yagi that iirc Philips invented called Silver Sensor and was sold under many names Philips Zenith and Magnavox and can be had via eBay, amazon etc. In eeally poor weather at games when i dont feel like setting up my hacked dish i mount the ss on the suv roof with mini magnets tune and voila. i find those postcard sized plastic ones to be utter sh1te ditto the Costlier RCA ones that are like square trivets.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 07-31-2012 at 11:34 PM.

All Pro
    Alright, checked my D* last night. Stil have old HD receiver. NFLN 212 was blacked out (showing NYJ-NYG), Ch 2 was available, also Ch 390 as WCBS-TV both of these in SD AND HD.

In the Eastern US the only flippin' way you have a HD receiver and can't see 390 as HD is if you dont have the proper HDTV settings selected.
    You can hide any SD duplicates via System Setup->Display.