Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Carter on Mike and Mike this morning - Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    His reasoning was that it was the same offense but with Sparano's tweaks or something along those lines. I think he was underestimating the difference.
    I caught that too... I mean, different terminology, difference on routes - receivers have a set route, more vertical routes was a staple in Miami, etc... Hope to God more play action shots down field, more screens as has been discussed and this offense may look entirely different...

How much different/difficult is it to implement, I honestly don't know... From all accounts, it's a simple, no nonsense offense... I feel good about that, as a fan...

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I caught that too... I mean, different terminology, difference on routes - receivers have a set route, more vertical routes was a staple in Miami, etc... Hope to God more play action shots down field, more screens as has been discussed and this offense may look entirely different...

How much different/difficult is it to implement, I honestly don't know... From all accounts, it's a simple, no nonsense offense... I feel good about that, as a fan...
    The offense is not just what system is employed, but also what the level of execution, personnel, and play calling.

The play calling for us last season was very bad in many important spots. That's ONE reason we struggled (many more as well, but one that isn't readily discussed here).

Veteran
    And on the 1st day when he went 16-18 and hit Stephen Hill for a 40yarder vs Revis...did they bring up that one?
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 07-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Concerned?

Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    And finally, I heard Luck in his first practice went 27 of 32.
    In 3+ years, Sanchez never has had one practice where he played that well.

Does anyone else have concerns?

Actually not really. While I agree Sanchez needs to step up this year highlighting a bad practice is hardly a good idea.
    You say Luck had a great practice but have you forgotten Sanchez has had great playoff games? He has actually done it when it mattered the most. Has he come up short? Yes he has but even in those games it really wasnt his fault and more a product of the D not playing up to its ability against the Steelers and Colts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    No. I don't think that can happen. But he could very well be a better option at QB than Sanchez right now. (I don't believe that Tebow is that, but it's foolish to say there's no chance he can be the more effective quarterback for the Jets in 2012.)

I don't believe the quarterback who'll get us to the Super Bowl is on the roster right now.
    Fair enough. I like having Tebow on the team, don't want him as the starting QB though. And I do think Sanchez can win a SB, he needs to show a lot though this year or the Jets should start looking at other options.

Face it, at the end of last season many fans were calling for Mark's head and wanted him gone. Still others ( I would say the majority ) were questioning was he really the long term answer at QB for the Jets. Yet, of that group it was felt that Mark should get one more year to become what everyone hoped and expected him to be. Well,Mark has gotten his year as the clear cut starter and leader of this team.

I am sure even the fans who wanted him gone last year would be more then happy to be proven wrong and see Mark make leap elite QB. Make no mistake though, if he does more bonehead things that leads to loses and plays at last years level , the odds of him being the Jets starter next season are very small.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    maybe the colts defense is just that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Fair enough. I like having Tebow on the team, don't want him as the starting QB though. And I do think Sanchez can win a SB, he needs to show a lot though this year or the Jets should start looking at other options.
    This is exactly how I feel as well.

All Pro
    It is crazy how they are keeping stats in the first 4 days of camp. That is just the new age ESPN generation. Keeping track of Peyton Manning's practices, Luck, Tebow, Sanchez etc.
    I can remember Rex saying how great the team practiced in prperation of that Thursday night game vs NE in 2010 and they got blown away.
    You like to see the team play well in practice, but it is during the game that matters. I am sure QBs had bad practices and then went out and played godo games. Right now these 4 QBs will be under the microscope and honestly the only one that I agree with is Peyton. I can see the interest in following his progress after missing all of last season and now on a different team.

Sanchez will play like he always has, inconsistant and inaccurate. Even when he was given time last season, he could not hit the broad side of a barn. Tebow was brought in to replace him when he sucks up the place. Every time Sanchez dropped back, it was like oh sh!t here we go. We will see what a new system and O coordinator will do for Sanchez. . Even though it's the first couple of days in practice, there are way to many int's. In game one of the season, the first time the camera shows his face and he has that same look in his eyes, like he's lost, then we will know.

Oh yeah don't get you hopes up on all the great things that the d is doing, they are going up against one of the worse O lines in football, based on last season. They what they are , based on their play last season.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Enough with the cheater nonsense already. The Patriots are a good team. Good coach. Good QB. The Jets are not at that level yet. Second place in the AFCE is ok IF the Jets can make the playoffs.
    No, NOT enough with the cheater truth (it's not nonsense). They brought the cheating questions on themselves, and again it's still funny how they haven't won a SB since getting busted, despite Brady becoming an even better QB than when they won those SB's.

Besides, who gives a f*ck about the patsies? So they have a good QB and a good HC, who cares? The Jets have to handle their business and not worry about anybody else. Sick of Jet fans giving praise to the opposition.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Sanchez will play like he always has, inconsistant and inaccurate. Even when he was given time last season, he could not hit the broad side of a barn. Tebow was brought in to replace him when he sucks up the place. Every time Sanchez dropped back, it was like oh sh!t here we go. We will see what a new system and O coordinator will do for Sanchez. . Even though it's the first couple of days in practice, there are way to many int's. In game one of the season, the first time the camera shows his face and he has that same look in his eyes, like he's lost, then we will know.

Oh yeah don't get you hopes up on all the great things that the d is doing, they are going up against one of the worse O lines in football, based on last season. They what they are , based on their play last season.
    When Sanchez puts up great numbers this year and leads the Jets back to the playoffs, don't come back on here claiming to be a fan.

Sanchez already has a better attitude.

He's going to be better this year, like it or not.

I just don't think he has the goods. In my opinion he is probably right around the high teens if we ranked the NFL QBS.

He can win games and even playoff games with a good D and running game. He excels in play action and broken plays. Good accurate arm on the run.

But...a few games last year scared the hell out of me. The last 3 games (NYG, PHILLY and MIA) really stick out in my head. He was flat out awful. Maybe it was because he was beaten down by a bad O Line but I have my doubts. After 3 years, he just dosen't seem to read NFL defenses very well. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Green View Post
    I just don't think he has the goods. In my opinion he is probably right around the high teens if we ranked the NFL QBS.

He can win games and even playoff games with a good D and running game. He excels in play action and broken plays. Good accurate arm on the run.

But...a few games last year scared the hell out of me. The last 3 games (NYG, PHILLY and MIA) really stick out in my head. He was flat out awful. Maybe it was because he was beaten down by a bad O Line but I have my doubts. After 3 years, he just dosen't seem to read NFL defenses very well. Hope I am wrong.
    I think this is spot on. At the very least he has to control those awful turnovers. If your Qb is not going to be a lights out franchise Qb he has to not throw two ints into a fat linemans belly in a crucial game.

I think he will be better of with Tebow on the team than otherwise despite others looking at this the other way.

The more media and news and stuff about Tebow, the less media and pressure on Sanchez.

Players are only as good as their last year. Of course people have reservations about Sanchez.

Rodgers didn't start playing until year 4. Didn't have a "good" year until after that.

Brees didn't start playing well until then as well.

Just because Sanchez isn't a Hall of Famer at this point, doesn't mean you just give up on him.

To the poster who said "he just doesn't have the goods"; I'm sure people said that of Brees and Manning before they won Superbowls.

I know patience is impossible as a Jets fan, and on JI, but it is necessary here.

What's the alternative to Sanchez? Tebow? That's just blind homerism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's actually not true.

Their rushing defense was towards the bottom. But their passing defense, which is what we're talking about, was in the middle of the pack. Not great but not last.
    The Colts had a terrible pass defense in 2011. They allowed a passer rating of 103.9 for the year, 2nd worst in the league, and had an ANY/A of 7.2, 4th worst in the league. They allowed opponents to complete 71.2% of their passes, the worst in the history of the NFL.

Their awfulness is not even represented by those numbers. They were behind by so much, so early, in so many games that the number of passing TDs that they allowed was actually depressed. They allowed 19 rushing TDs, tied for 2nd worst in the league. If their offense had been a little better, their numbers would have looked even worse.

No one should ever use gross yardage to evaluate an offense or a defense. The Colts 2011 can't be described as anything other than terrible. They didn't allow more yards because they were getting their brains beaten in so badly that teams spent half of the game just trying to run out the clock...and even then, the Colts couldn't actually stop anyone, they just allowed a bunch of TDs on the ground instead of through the air.

Keep in mind the QBs they faced in division last year: Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Hasselbeck, TJ Yates, Blaine Gabbert.

6 games in division: 5 TDs allowed, 5 INTs (62.5% of their INT total for the year)
    10 games out of divisioin: 23 TDs, 3 INTs

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

Completely agree, and I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Players are only as good as their last year. Of course people have reservations about Sanchez.

Rodgers didn't start playing until year 4. Didn't have a "good" year until after that.

Brees didn't start playing well until then as well.

Just because Sanchez isn't a Hall of Famer at this point, doesn't mean you just give up on him.

To the poster who said "he just doesn't have the goods"; I'm sure people said that of Brees and Manning before they won Superbowls.

I know patience is impossible as a Jets fan, and on JI, but it is necessary here.

What's the alternative to Sanchez? Tebow? That's just blind homerism.
    I respect your opinion a lot, so I'll just ask you straight up, what do you expect from Sanchez this season? Accounting for the offensive system change, everything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I respect your opinion a lot, so I'll just ask you straight up, what do you expect from Sanchez this season? Accounting for the offensive system change, everything.
    His overall TD numbers may come down (Due to Tebow's ability to rush as a mack-truck inside the red-zone), but I fully expect for Sanchez to improve upon his completions, completion percentage, yardage, TD to INT ratio as well as overall QB Rating; just as he's done each of his first 3 seasons of being in the league.

I expect his yardage to increase for the simple fact we not only have a lot more receiving weapons (heading into the season) when compared to last year, but we also have an offensive coordinator who will establish the run in order to set up a vertical passing attack down field.

Just as Sanchez has done each of the past 3 seasons, I fully expect him to improve upon his completion total, completion percentage, yardage, TD to INT ratio as well as his overall QB Rating. Sanchez cutting down on his turnovers would become the icing on top to a very productive 4th season.