Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Media is too Rough on Sanchez

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Media is too Rough on Sanchez

He's got much to prove, don't get me wrong. But I was just looking at Eli's stats for his first three or four years in the league and they weren't all that different from Sanchez. In fact, Eli didn't break a 60% completion rate or an 80 passer rating until his fifth year in the league. Despite the national press's tendency to kill anything Jets, our guy still has a chance to turn into something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh My God. He's a professional athlete.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Oh My God. He's a professional athlete.
    Not sure what you mean. I don't mean he gives a crap. I'm just saying that these guys who are constantly saying he's no good could be wrong. I heard Ross Tucker say on Sirius in the morning that he doesn't have a chance to be a top 20 QB. Don't know where that comes from. (He also said that Jets have the worst skill guys in the league.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No they are not too rough on him. This is year 4. He has shown he can be very good at times but he has also played very badly at times as well. I think other teams fans and the national media have a more reasonable view of him than people on this forum.

I think he is going to do real well this year myself. Our off season moves on O are good including getting Tebow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're posting in a forum that's collectively way harder on Jets players than anything in the media.

e: BUT, and I post this just for argument's sake, Mark and Eli's numbers through their first 53 starts are remarkably similar.

Code:
    		Games	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	INT	TD%	INT%	Y/A	QBRate		Rush TD	Total TD
    E. Manning	53	949	1719	55.2%	10894	73	65	4.3%	3.8%	6.3	72.9		2	75
    Sanchez		53	877	1570	55.9%	10356	64	53	4.1%	3.4%	6.6	75.6		12	76
    Last edited by ozu; 07-30-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    He's got much to prove, don't get me wrong. But I was just looking at Eli's stats for his first three or four years in the league and they weren't all that different from Sanchez. In fact, Eli didn't break a 60% completion rate or an 80 passer rating until his fifth year in the league. Despite the national press's tendency to kill anything Jets, our guy still has a chance to turn into something.
    Phil Simms didn't do it till his 13th year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you mean. I don't mean he gives a crap. I'm just saying that these guys who are constantly saying he's no good could be wrong. I heard Ross Tucker say on Sirius in the morning that he doesn't have a chance to be a top 20 QB. Don't know where that comes from. (He also said that Jets have the worst skill guys in the league.)
    Because, for better or worse, his numbers are middle to lower half in the NFL, and he had the #1 NFL Defense and #5 NFL D for his two ACFCG appearances, and when they went to a prostyle offense last year he couldn't put the numbers up. Maybe he was hurt....but like Beerfish said, he's going on year 4- this is the time to shut everyone up...I really don't think you can ever go too hard on them...the professional writers never post commentary like we do on here...this is rough stuff for sure.

EDIT...OZU beat me to it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god, do you really want to go there again? You do realize this will cause another 20 page thread with JStokes and R2D2 (whatever the f*ck his name is. I can't really recall or don't care to) and Ray Ray trying to police what everyone says?

The end result has been determined for a long time. This is a make or break season for Sanchez. He either gets it or he gets dealt. It's as simple as that.

Besides, a couple of very dedicated democrats willing to attempt to censor anything derogatory in the direction of the Jets players, the rest of the world has it right. They're not impressed with Sanchez and think he'll probably fall flat on his face again this season.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completely agree Sanchez may still prove to be great. The similarity to Eli is amazing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Oh god, do you really want to go there again? You do realize this will cause another 20 page thread with JStokes and R2D2 (whatever the f*ck his name is. I can't really recall or don't care to) and Ray Ray trying to police what everyone says?

The end result has been determined for a long time. This is a make or break season for Sanchez. He either gets it or he gets dealt. It's as simple as that.

Besides, a couple of very dedicated democrats willing to attempt to censor anything derogatory in the direction of the Jets players, the rest of the world has it right. They're not impressed with Sanchez and think he'll probably fall flat on his face again this season.
    Agree that this is the show me year. My point is that if you look at stats of some other players who have risen to the near top (like Eli), we have not seen enough of Mark yet to write him off as mediocre.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fan RI View Post
    Completely agree Sanchez may still prove to be great. The similarity to Eli is amazing.
    Another Rhode Island Jet fan? Cool. We are badly outnumbered up here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that this is the show me year. My point is that if you look at stats of some other players who have risen to the near top (like Eli), we have not seen enough of Mark yet to write him off as mediocre.
    Well, I'm on board with giving him yet another chance this season. Lets see what he can do. Personally, I really do hope he gets it and improves. I don't want the team to be forced to look for another QB yet again.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another Rhode Island Jet fan? Cool. We are badly outnumbered up here.
    Yeah. Tell me about it. And let me mention the sports coverage in the ProJo always floors me. To me, a good sports section covers home teams 50%, all other teams 50%. By that standard, the ProJo fails miserably. And the little bit of out-of-town coverage mostly realtes to former players who have moved on to other teams.

Oh well. There's always the internet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fan RI View Post
    Yeah. Tell me about it. And let me mention the sports coverage in the ProJo always floors me. To me, a good sports section covers home teams 50%, all other teams 50%. By that standard, the ProJo fails miserably. And the little bit of out-of-town coverage mostly realtes to former players who have moved on to other teams.

Oh well. There's always the internet.

Why would a newspaper devote 50% of its type to non-local teams? You want a national sports perspective there is the USA today, sporting news etc.

To equate the average nfl fan with a guy that posts on a football forum is a stretch. Out of the 15 guys in my office, including 2 season ticket holders, I am the only one who posts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    You're posting in a forum that's collectively way harder on Jets players than anything in the media.

e: BUT, and I post this just for argument's sake, Mark and Eli's numbers through their first 53 starts are remarkably similar.

Code:
    And if this is only in response to comparisons of Eli v. Sanchez, it would be somewhat relevant. But, the typical trajectory of a QB is not usually someone with the above numbers becoming what Eli has become. Sure it can happen. But the more likely outcome is something far short of that. Of course, the book on Sanchez is still largely unwritten and he can certainly improve markedly.

But the Eli comparisons demonstrate more that Eli was a mediocre QB in the beginning of his career, not that Sanchez is necessarily bound for greatness (I know that isn't your point thought).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And if this is only in response to comparisons of Eli v. Sanchez, it would be somewhat relevant. But, the typical trajectory of a QB is not usually someone with the above numbers becoming what Eli has become. Sure it can happen. But the more likely outcome is something far short of that. Of course, the book on Sanchez is still largely unwritten and he can certainly improve markedly.

But the Eli comparisons demonstrate more that Eli was a mediocre QB in the beginning of his career, not that Sanchez is necessarily bound for greatness (I know that isn't your point thought).
    Can you prove this statement? Or are you just guessing?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Code:
    It's uncanny. He's shown flashes of greatness and has a great deep ball. But Eli has a better arm.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Code:

You might also want to take into account that Eli played in 3x as many games (43 versus 16) and had 3x as many pass attempts (1383 versus 487) in his college career. Sanchez came out as a junior essentially making his rookie season his "senior year." I can't understand why no one factors this into the evaluation process of Sanchez. I look at his progression and view him as a QB entering his 3rd year of NFL development. Each year, we have seen ups and downs, but the trend still is pointing upward. The biggest issue is when the QB fails to take that next big step.

A recent case study and example of this is the play of Chad Henne. He had 45 starts at Michigan and 30 starts in Miami with no improvement in his NFL play whatsoever. That is why he is on team #2 - not because he doesn't have talent, but because he hasn't improve.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klecko73 View Post
    You might also want to take into account that Eli played in 3x as many games (43 versus 16) and had 3x as many pass attempts (1383 versus 487) in his college career. Sanchez came out as a junior essentially making his rookie season his "senior year." I can't understand why no one factors this into the evaluation process of Sanchez. I look at his progression and view him as a QB entering his 3rd year of NFL development. Each year, we have seen ups and downs, but the trend still is pointing upward. The biggest issue is when the QB fails to take that next big step.

A recent case study and example of this is the play of Chad Henne. He had 45 starts at Michigan and 30 starts in Miami with no improvement in his NFL play whatsoever. That is why he is on team #2 - not because he doesn't have talent, but because he hasn't improve.
    I definitely take the college experience into consideration when thinking about Mark's career. I actually feel like this is going to be his breakout year. He's got a deep threat again, sounds like the running game should be better and from all accounts it sounds like he's ok physically.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez, Eli comparisons are meaningless. You can choose just as many guys that have similar or worse stats than Sanchez who have failed in their careers as using ones like Eli how have succeeded.