Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The Cortland Effect? come on!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cortland Effect? come on!

On ESPN Radio, they talked about how the Jets were glad to be back in Cortland this year and how this is a bonding experience for them...and that last year it seemed as though Rex lost touch with the team....I for one don't think the site for their training plays that big of a role in how the team performs...

come on, these guys are professionals, will some s'mores by the campfire really help them win a December game? (I'm not knocking s'mores in any way)

We have pics of Keyshawn Johnson counseling Santonio Holmes?

T-bow with no shirt? Who cares?

It's time to get down to football...what I do think will help the Jets is Rex's focus on the defense and their new Offensive Coordinator...This team has some talent with the potential to play big...it's up to the coaches and players to just get down to business

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    On ESPN Radio, they talked about how the Jets were glad to be back in Cortland this year and how this is a bonding experience for them...and that last year it seemed as though Rex lost touch with the team....I for one don't think the site for their training plays that big of a role in how the team performs...
    Actually, I think in this case it plays a HUGE role. After last year's disappointing season, the first thing I thought about was Cortland. Rex made a conscious decision when he brought here to take the team out of their comfort zone in the NYC metro area and out to the boonies so they could focus and bond. This after Woody built brand new, state of the art facilities in Florham Park. It wasn't just for kicks.

It's a little like the difference between working at home and working at the office. At home, you've got countless distractions and endless crutches to fall back upon, but at the office, it's all business. Having training camp here in NJ, paired with the shortened off-season, had a detrimental effect on the team. Not saying it's necessarily a valid excuse at all, but with training camp back in Cortland, I'm expecting a much better performance this season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

come on, these guys are professionals, will some s'mores by the campfire really help them win a December game? (I'm not knocking s'mores in any way)

It's time to get down to football...what I do think will help the Jets is Rex's focus on the defense and their new Offensive Coordinator...This team has some talent with the potential to play big...it's up to the coaches and players to just get down to business

Actually, yeah, it can make a difference. Getting away to Cortland (and the like) reduces distractions and let's guys focus more on the job at hand and yes, kumbayaa stuff aside, camraderie and bonding is very important in team sports.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team needs Jesus...oh wait, He's already here...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

you can say it makes no difference but if all the players and coaches say it does, I'm going to go with their opinion.

2 years in Cortland = AFCCG
    1 year not in Cortland = No Playoffs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what Keyshawn and Holmes talked about, and perhaps it has nothing to do with it, but, I just listened to Holmes talk with Stephen A. Smith and it's like he was a totally different guy. Like he gets it now. He took ownership of some stuff that happened last year. Talked about working through the coaches to get his voice/concerns out there. Talked about not putting things out in the media.

Seriously, when listening, I actually had to stop and remind myself that it was Holmes who was making those statements.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a big believer in getting away for training camp. But it's all up to the guys on the team. Are they buying into it? I think the Jets are the type of team that benefits as they really are a pretty young team still (just a handful of guys over 30). Get them out of the distractions of NYC and keep them out of trouble, etc.

Oh, and I hope this is the start of Santonio turning the corner. Keyshawn learned the hard way about the NY media when you run your mouth too much. Maybe Key did say something to him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully third time in Cortland will b a charm.. SB!!! U see me?