Thread: Giants CB Thomas suffers another ACL injury

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Giants CB Thomas suffers another ACL injury

Man, I feel bad for the guy. His career is likely over.

Giants CB Thomas suffers another ACL injury in practice

By PAUL SCHWARTZ
    Last Updated: 6:45 PM, July 30, 2012

ALBANY – Terrell Thomas on Sunday suffered another injury to his right knee involving his surgically-repaired anterior cruciate ligament, a daunting scenario that likely will lead to him missing a second consecutive season and putting his career at risk.

An MRI exam and examination on Monday by team physician Dr. Russell Warren at the Hospital for Special Surgery revealed the new injury, which came about after Thomas slipped on the practice field covering Domenik Hixon in a one-on-one drill.

“Terrell re-injured his ACL,” said Ronnie Barnes, the Giants senior vice president of medical services. “At this point, he will most likely undergo an arthroscopic procedure to determine the extent of the injury to the ACL. However, no decision has been made at this point. Terrell is going to consult with Dr. (Arthur) Ting, who performed an allograft reconstruction of the ACL in September.”

Thomas missed all of the 2011 season when he tore his right ACL last Aug. 22. He later had surgery performed by Dr. Ting, who also performed the first ACL surgery on Thomas’ right knee back in 2005 when Thomas played at USC.

This cruel blow for Thomas and huge blow for the Giants snuck up on them. Thomas believed he was fully healed and primed for a resounding comeback and when he slipped during Sunday’s practice he iced his knee on the side and no one thought it was a big deal. When the knee swelled overnight, the caution flares were lit.

The Giants aren’t saying that Thomas has fully torn the ACL again but, given the history of his right knee, it is likely this new injury will deal Thomas a crippling blow.

Given that this is the third time Thomas’ right ACL has torn his football career is in danger of ending at age 27. It is believed no player has ever made it back to the NFL after three torn ACLs.

The depth at cornerback just took a massive hit and the urgency grows for Prince Amukamara, last year’s first-round pick, to step in and start. Amukamara broke his foot last summer and did next to nothing in his rookie season.

There are other NFL-caliber cornerbacks on the roster, with Justin Tryon, Michael Coe and Bruce Johnson all returning from injuries and rookie third-round pick Jayron Hosley expected to contribute in his first season. The loss of Thomas, though, will again reverberate throughout the entire defense.

After Thomas slipped Sunday, he remained on the field for several minutes before pulling himself off to ice his surgically-repaired knee on the sideline. On Monday morning, Thomas told the Giants medical staff that his knee had swelled up overnight and that prompted the team to send him to the Hospital for Special Surgery to determine what’s going on.

Asked after practice if there was anything going on with Thomas, coach Tom Coughlin said “Unfortunately there is. He came in this morning with a swollen knee, went down to HSS.’’

Thomas was not overly concerned at first.

"He walked up to me after practice, he thought he felt good, he didn’t really seem to have any issues and this morning when he came back in he was swollen,’’ Coughlin said. “I didn’t see him this morning but I saw him yesterday afternoon and he walked up to me and said ‘I slipped.’ ‘’

Coughlin did not want to speculate any further, but did add “I don’t like the fact it’s swollen but I’m not a doctor, don’t go basing it on me. The fact he’s not here bothers me. I sure wish he was here.’’

Thomas after starting and amassing 10 interceptions in 2009 and 2010 was in line for a huge payday before blowing out his knee. The Giants believed in his ability to return to form and re-signed him to a four-year, $28 million contract, although the Giants protected themselves, as the majority of that money is not guaranteed and will only be paid out if Thomas is healthy. He received a signing bonus of $1 million and his base salary for this season is $1 million.

Did Thomas come back too soon? He was given medical clearance by the Giants to take the field for the start of camp but he didn’t last very long in the first practice last Friday when he was sidelined with back spasms. He made it through Saturday’s practice but not Sunday’s.

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/blogs/g...z34uAgVacKuS6O

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You never like to see season ending injuries, but as a team, with that Giants pass rush? I'm sure they'll be fine. Best of luck to Thomas recovering moving forward...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks. He had a great year for them in 2010. Third injury to that same knee.

Trade them Wilson for Rolle.