Thread: Weekend in Cortland

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekend in Cortland

Say the Jets on Saturday and Sunday and have a few of my own impressions. Let me say that KRL's reports are extremely accurate, with outstanding insight and observations.
    1. Sparano, a lot has been written about the fast tempo offense. I was in Cortland in 2010 and watching the two different offenses, the 2012 version has more intensity with less mistakes. The good thing is that Sparano is very loud but encouraging, players know when they did a good job, and they know when they fell short immediatly. Sparano comments on every play 80/20 positive.
    2. Assitant coachs, Dunbar, Lal and Gugs, are very interactive with their players, in you face coaching.
    3. Tight Ends .. Dustin Keller looks better than ever, Sanchez has the connection with him. Cumberland runs well , but not as fast or as quick as I remember him in 2010. Josh Baker seems to be a move TE, works a lot with the ones, the offense looks to get him the ball. Dedrick Epps works primarily with the twos, got a couple of reps with the ones, not impressive. Tarren LLoyd , has size , moves well , catches the ball, has been adequate on special teams, I can't assess his blocking skills although he holds his own in drills. Hayden Smith has potential, up and down, can't tell.
    4.Quarterbacks..Matt Simms has an arm, IMO a practice Squad candidate. You wonder about McElroy's arm, can throw deep , can throw short, but the 15-20 passes have a little loop to them. Tebow is just very inconsistant, makes some nice plays, and other plays you need to close your eyes. This punt protector role is genius, Tebow gains 3 yards off tackle every time. and he is like a single wing tailback that can throw well enough.
    5. Runningbacks...Powell is uncuttable, speed ,runs well between the tackles, can catch the ball. McKnight is fast looks terrific. Ganaway is faster and quicker than I expected, Terrance can also catch the ball. Griffin looked ordinary, I expected more after his OTA perfomance.
    6. Wide Recevers.. Holmes is the first guy in every drill, looks quick. Schillens big ,smooth a little more consistant than the other receivers. Hill has that speed, seems to be able to run every route, the Georgia Tech expierance didn't seem to hurt him, very serious deep threat, Sanchez thows a nice deep ball. I thought Turner would be cut this year, but he looks faster, of course he is big, and he been very consistent in route running and catching the ball. The rest of the receivers are all close, but Eron Riley and Dexter jackson are not showing enough. The crowd likes Scotty McKnight, he is so tiny, he has looked good, another guy that I thought would be cut.
    Of course no Kerley.
    7.Defensive Line- Pouha looks a beast, Devito looks below average, Kendric Ellis explodes against the threes, but quiet against the ones and twos. Brett Roy is a try hard guy, but usually over matched.
    8. Offensive Line- Schlauderoff as the back up center, put two on the ground on Saturday, competing with kroul, back center is still a problem. Heyer has great size, passes the eyeball test. Otah is huge.
    9. Linebackers- Maybin and CB Wilson sound like Scott, I think they have been hanging in the off season. Maybin still gets buried when you run at him. Sapp can play the run, and he can rush the passer, very complete LB.
    McIntyre, another guy I thought woud be cut is making plays , but gets so lost in coverage. Mauga and/ or Belore could be cut from this group.
    10. Everyone is talking about Lankster, he has been the best CB on the field, another guy I was impressed with was julian Posey at Cb, he looks good. Bush and Allen have payed very well, but the look small compared to Bell, Smith and Landry

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good report, thank you.

I guess it's safe to say Sapp will make contributions in 2012? Because if he does, that to me, is another unexpected player for the Jets defense.

How did Coples look? Can he get after the passer as well as you thought you'd see?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'm headed up to Cortland this weekend.

Can you fill me in on the gift shop? Is it a really big spread of new Jets stuff or will I be disappointed?

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Good report, thank you.

I guess it's safe to say Sapp will make contributions in 2012? Because if he does, that to me, is another unexpected player for the Jets defense.

How did Coples look? Can he get after the passer as well as you thought you'd see?
    The curious thing was that I only saw Coples play inside. Brandon Moore seemed to handle him easily. Matt Kroul playing guard with the seconds looked good against Coples.. Wilkerson seem to get penetration.Pace looked below average at DE...Dunbar is really intense with this DL group, works them very hard , suprised a DL is not on the injury list.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Can you fill me in on the gift shop? Is it a really big spread of new Jets stuff or will I be disappointed?

SAR I
    Lot of stuff, no deals, couldn't get a "Jet Training Camp T-shirt" went after sundays practice,only smalls were available, that aint gonna work.. Some bizarre stuff in town, mostly Tebow related, didn't check

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    The curious thing was that I only saw Coples play inside. Brandon Moore seemed to handle him easily. Matt Kroul playing guard with the seconds looked good against Coples.. Wilkerson seem to get penetration.Pace looked below average at DE...Dunbar is really intense with this DL group, works them very hard , suprised a DL is not on the injury list.
    Yeah, I think that's weird. Maybe their plan is to get Coples to be more versatile? I don't know. I think this is disappointing to hear though. I really thought the difference in the pass rush would be evident even this early in camp with the addition of Coples and Maybin having a year under his belt.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ...great stuff orange, much appreciated!...

... did hunter seem like he's improved at all and is just very bad now? ... or is he still a sack-o-$h*t? ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like your objective take Jet Orange, thank you.

Excited about Lankster ... it appears he is earning himself more playing time ....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Looking forward to my $ this weekend!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Say the Jets on Saturday and Sunday and have a few of my own impressions. Let me say that KRL's reports are extremely accurate, with outstanding insight and observations.
    1. Sparano, a lot has been written about the fast tempo offense. I was in Cortland in 2010 and watching the two different offenses, the 2012 version has more intensity with less mistakes. The good thing is that Sparano is very loud but encouraging, players know when they did a good job, and they know when they fell short immediatly. Sparano comments on every play 80/20 positive.
    2. Assitant coachs, Dunbar, Lal and Gugs, are very interactive with their players, in you face coaching.
    3. Tight Ends .. Dustin Keller looks better than ever, Sanchez has the connection with him. Cumberland runs well , but not as fast or as quick as I remember him in 2010. Josh Baker seems to be a move TE, works a lot with the ones, the offense looks to get him the ball. Dedrick Epps works primarily with the twos, got a couple of reps with the ones, not impressive. Tarren LLoyd , has size , moves well , catches the ball, has been adequate on special teams, I can't assess his blocking skills although he holds his own in drills. Hayden Smith has potential, up and down, can't tell.
    4.Quarterbacks..Matt Simms has an arm, IMO a practice Squad candidate. You wonder about McElroy's arm, can throw deep , can throw short, but the 15-20 passes have a little loop to them. Tebow is just very inconsistant, makes some nice plays, and other plays you need to close your eyes. This punt protector role is genius, Tebow gains 3 yards off tackle every time. and he is like a single wing tailback that can throw well enough.
    5. Runningbacks...Powell is uncuttable, speed ,runs well between the tackles, can catch the ball. McKnight is fast looks terrific. Ganaway is faster and quicker than I expected, Terrance can also catch the ball. Griffin looked ordinary, I expected more after his OTA perfomance.
    6. Wide Recevers.. Holmes is the first guy in every drill, looks quick. Schillens big ,smooth a little more consistant than the other receivers. Hill has that speed, seems to be able to run every route, the Georgia Tech expierance didn't seem to hurt him, very serious deep threat, Sanchez thows a nice deep ball. I thought Turner would be cut this year, but he looks faster, of course he is big, and he been very consistent in route running and catching the ball. The rest of the receivers are all close, but Eron Riley and Dexter jackson are not showing enough. The crowd likes Scotty McKnight, he is so tiny, he has looked good, another guy that I thought would be cut.
    Of course no Kerley.
    7.Defensive Line- Pouha looks a beast, Devito looks below average, Kendric Ellis explodes against the threes, but quiet against the ones and twos. Brett Roy is a try hard guy, but usually over matched.
    8. Offensive Line- Schlauderoff as the back up center, put two on the ground on Saturday, competing with kroul, back center is still a problem. Heyer has great size, passes the eyeball test. Otah is huge.
    9. Linebackers- Maybin and CB Wilson sound like Scott, I think they have been hanging in the off season. Maybin still gets buried when you run at him. Sapp can play the run, and he can rush the passer, very complete LB.
    McIntyre, another guy I thought woud be cut is making plays , but gets so lost in coverage. Mauga and/ or Belore could be cut from this group.
    10. Everyone is talking about Lankster, he has been the best CB on the field, another guy I was impressed with was julian Posey at Cb, he looks good. Bush and Allen have payed very well, but the look small compared to Bell, Smith and Landry
    Great stuff, Orange, thanks.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Great stuff, Orange, thanks.

-
    +1

I appreciate you guys willing to go to BFE and report back...