Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio the "scapegoat"...

"Was me, it was me," Holmes said, when asked what was at the heart of his problems last season. "Not answering those questions in that manner. Not saying the things that were asked of me to say, and just learning how to hold my tongue and to be more critical of myself instead of others."
    So in an article where Holmes takes the heart of the blame for last year, Jet s fans are irrate and spew more hatred?

The article is from his interview on ESPN radio this afternoon, I urge you to listen to the podcast from Rocco and Stephen A, it's 12 minutes, and it's a good listen. The Santonio hate continues to be shameful.

The one thing that is clear from that interview, the problem was the guy who is now coaching the Rams offense, Holmes seems ecstatic about the state of the team and his new offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    So in an article where Holmes takes the heart of the blame for last year, Jet s fans are irrate and spew more hatred?

The article is from his interview on ESPN radio this afternoon, I urge you to listen to the podcast from Rocco and Stephen A, it's 12 minutes, and it's a good listen. The Santonio hate continues to be shameful.

The one thing that is clear from that interview, the problem was the guy who is now coaching the Rams offense, Holmes seems ecstatic about the state of the team and his new offensive coordinator.
    I'm reading through the comments and wondering how no one picked up on the fact he said it was him...

Ray,

Stop for a sec and think whether it's possible that that the statements are kind of in opposition/inconsistent to each other.

The way I took it was that Santonio finally owned up to him being part of the problem, but then he turned right around and kind of washed that away by saying he was the scapegoat.

I can't say I think he is wrong either. He is thrown off the field for saying what most of us where saying all year, and we called him a quitter for it. Now I'm not defending the fact it was a poor team attitude but he wasn't the big issue. I can care less what he says as long as he brings that passion to the field. He wants to win and make plays I am sorry I just dont see that as a bad thing. This is a put up or shut up year for pretty much that whole O and I think they will shock a lot of people with what they do.

Catch 1,000 yards and people outside of Jets Nation will care what you have to say, Holmes.. This "#1" has only done it once in his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Ray,

Stop for a sec and think whether it's possible that that the statements are kind of in opposition/inconsistent to each other.

The way I took it was that Santonio finally owned up to him being part of the problem, but then he turned right around and kind of washed that away by saying he was the scapegoat.
    The article read like the exact opposite ... That he said he was a scapegoat of sorts, then later owned up to being an eejit by airing team business to the media...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    This dude can't be serious. Will he ever just shut the **** up? I am starting to really hate this guy on our team. He is a one man self destructing disaster.

What will he say next?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ves_he_wa.html
    Tone needs to get the memo that last yr was the lockout yr and who cares who won sb durn locout yr. ginas won lockout bowl!!! yeah!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    In many ways he was the scapegoat...He said nothing that was out of line here.
    I agree 100%, why was Holmes only targeted only twice in a big game

Does that even make the remotest sense???

65+ drop back passess against the Giants and TWO passes targeting your Numberr 1 WR in the BIGGEST Game of the year!!!

Good Grief!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Catch 1,000 yards
    and people outside of Jets Nation will care what you have to say, Holmes...
    He's done it. Stupid post is stupid.

Should have ended with "do it again" or "I'm a ****ty ****ing troll..."

No really, you are a very ****ty troll.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    He's done it. Stupid post is stupid.

Should have ended with "do it again" or "I'm a ****ty ****ing troll..."

No really, you are a very ****ty troll.

I clearly meant "as a Jet." I know very well what he did in Pittsburgh, tell me the great things he's done as a Jet to just talk and talk.

The article read like the exact opposite ... That he said he was a scapegoat of sorts, then later owned up to being an eejit by airing team business to the media...
    I'll have to go back and listen to the interview to be sure, but I believe it was the other way around. That he owned up first, then made the scapegoat comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I clearly meant "as a Jet." I know very well what he did in Pittsburgh, tell me the great things he's done as a Jet to just talk and talk.
    He's been pretty clutch while here. Late game heroics and what not.

Now kindly **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I'll have to go back and listen to the interview to be sure, but I believe it was the other way around. That he owned up first, then made the scapegoat comment.
    Okay, I'll check out the interview in the morning and revisit the discussion.

Jets Insider VIP

Precisely!!!

I agree with you 100% How in the world are people being crittical of Holmes without actually listening to the entire interview and placing Holmes' comments in their proper perspective......

Finally Holmes said Sparano is in command of the offense as an OC, don't people get it????

It was an excellent interview!!!

Here is the link:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/archive?id=7858183
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 07-31-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Okay, I'll check out the interview in the morning and revisit the discussion.
    Just gave it a quick scan through.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8215300

At about the 4:27 mark, Santonio says "Me, it was me".

At the 10:00 mark, Santonio starts his response where he talks about being the scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Precisely!!!

I agree with you 100% How in the world are people being crittical of Holmes without actually listening to the entire interview and placing Holmes' comments in their proper perspective......

Finally Holmes said Sparano is in command of the offense as an OC, don't people get it????

It was an excellent interview!!!

Here is the link:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/archive?id=7858183

Some of us did listen to the entire interview and have put the comments in their proper perspective. the comments / attitude seem contradictory.

It's either that or Tone doesn't understand what the word "scapegoat" actually means. Perhaps he meant that he alone got the criticism when there was plenty to go around ? "Scapegoat" denotes that one is wrongly blamed for something that they had nothing to do with.

BTW, I agree that the rest of the interview was great and up until that last part, I thought his attitude had really changed. Now, I'm not so sure.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Exactly--Holmes is merely pointing out the obvious. The team was in a state of chaos and management was totally clueless. Give this guy a quarterback who can throw the football and he could be very productive.
    And a #1 receiver to take the coverage away from him and he could be very productive.

I agree that Santonio probably doesn't know what scapegoat means. That's why he should probably be more careful with his words. Just stay vanilla, give the media nothing, only use words you understand! It's not that hard.

Hall Of Fame
    It's hard for me to knock Santonio for using a word or two incorrectly when he's being interviewed by a moron with no command of the language whatsoever. Smith must think he's some kind of Baptist preacher when he's talking. "speaking of last season, I'm not trying to harken back to that, but I'm just trying to bring it home." what a ****in' idiot.

at the end of the day... Santonio... Schoddy... the Jets kept the right one.

Hall Of Fame
    He is right.

He was the scapegoat for teammates who didn't carry their own weight and wanted to deflect blame. He was the scapegoat for delusional fans who didn't want to come to terms with the fact that the roster was mediocre and needed someone to blame the 8-8 on. And he was the scapegoat for the media who wanted a story to latch on to. The media loves heroes and villains.

I don't see what the problem is. What Santonio wants is what is good for the team. He wants the ball and it is beneficial for us to get him the ball. Why pay someone $50 million to be a hood ornament.