Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio the "scapegoat"...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Based on what we know now about the 2011 Jets it is amazing that more players didn't have similar eruptions. I give Santonio credit for showing emotion. So many other players didn't. This guy cares, would take 21 more starters with similar passion.

SAR I
    His passion is not directed to the teams success but his. The pats went thru the same thing with Moss two years ago and again in Miami.

This is a guy that publicly took on his teammates, and I don't care what Rex says but was one of the guys that was with Mason undermining Sanchez.

You can callout your teammates, but do so in the locker room. I did not hear his teammates call him out after all those drops he had last year. The guy is the proverbial Bad apple.

I vote him as most likely to get his lights punched out in the locker room this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Some of us did listen to the entire interview and have put the comments in their proper perspective. the comments / attitude seem contradictory.

It's either that or Tone doesn't understand what the word "scapegoat" actually means. Perhaps he meant that he alone got the criticism when there was plenty to go around ? "Scapegoat" denotes that one is wrongly blamed for something that they had nothing to do with.

BTW, I agree that the rest of the interview was great and up until that last part, I thought his attitude had really changed. Now, I'm not so sure.
    It sounded to me like he was using the word to describe that everyone had a problem with the offense, but no one would say anything about it. It came down to him to tell Shotty. Then he had to be the scapegoat. So he used the wrong word there, but I do understand his frustration. Apparently Schotty wouldn't even listen to him. I can see it now. Shotty says not now Antonio, and he tries to talk to his teammates, and they shrug their shoulders, and say get used to it. Mason was fired over it. This is the way he's always been. So he has a melt down. Nothing like Moss or To. It was about winning, not just getting attention.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    His passion is not directed to the teams success but his. The pats went thru the same thing with Moss two years ago and again in Miami...
    I stopped right there...

Complete bull****. You know nothing about the player, if that's what you think.

His behavior last year cannot happen, but it had everything to do with the team falling short of the playoff race, and not being happy with how the offense was being run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    True, just saying the scapegoat comment isn't necessarily accurate.

Holmes needs to stop talking and start playing. He's the type of player who needs his touches or he gets moody and starts to affect everyone around him. Hopefully the new offensive system is a breath of fresh air which utilizes our talent well.
    THIS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say "attitude". I said "passion". There's a big difference.

I don't support Santonio's antics (Twitter photo upon signing) or his timing (in huddle in Miami) but what went on last season in the locker room and on the field really got under his skin, really bothered him.

This team had, what, 10 captains? Where were they? At least Santonio showed some fire and got pissed. I still have the Jets Postgame Live from SNY after that Miami game. Those interviews with the other players who didn't care made me more ill than what Santonio did.

SAR I

Santonio has "passion"?!?!?

So what do you call what Sanchez, Mangold, Moore etc. have?

Curious interpretation of the word "passion", if you ask me...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is this:

If Holmes wants to sniff the playoffs this year, he needs to stop airing out his/team's dirty laundry (no matter what it is) to the media. Do you Sanchez doing this? Keller? Mangold? ANYONE ELSE?

The guy needs to shut his ****ing mouth and play football. Did he take the fall last year for most of what down? Absolutely. But he also opened his stupid mouth to Mehta many times and said many, many, many things that can destroy a team and a maturing, growing QB.

Frankly, on a TEAM, there is no place for that kind of ****. Do people get upset? Sure . Frustrated? Absolutely. But REAL STARS (Brady, Manning etc.) don't speak to the media about what is going on behind closed doors and what has been frustrating them.

Holmes is clearly an idiot and he needs to just be quiet and play.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post

Frankly, on a TEAM, there is no place for that kind of ****. Do people get upset? Sure . Frustrated? Absolutely. But REAL STARS (Brady, Manning etc.) don't speak to the media about what is going on behind closed doors and what has been frustrating them.

Holmes is clearly an idiot and he needs to just be quiet and play.
    Santonio, like all the other players, is just taking his cues from his head coach. It's how Rex Ryan runs it, it's how his players play it. If Rex wanted Santonio quiet, Santonio would be quiet. Rex has allowed this type of freedom for his roster since Day 1 and Holmes is not alone.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find the Santonio is passionate angle pretty funny.

The Eagles game was all I needed to see that this guy was an uncoachable me first douchebag...between the pathetic fumble and tipped pass and then following it up with an absolutely idiotic unsportsmanlike penalty....yeah...a 50 million dollar 5'10 possession receiver.

The Jets messed up...if there were any way of cutting him loose after last season he would have been gone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santonio, like all the other players, is just taking his cues from his head coach. It's how Rex Ryan runs it, it's how his players play it. If Rex wanted Santonio quiet, Santonio would be quiet. Rex has allowed this type of freedom for his roster since Day 1 and Holmes is not alone.

SAR I
    This I agree with. Rex is afraid to step on toes.....as a coach the toughest thing to learn si that you cant be everyone's friend.....because there will always be Santonio types of personalities on the team that have ZERO issues walking right over you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I stopped right there...

Complete bull****. You know nothing about the player, if that's what you think.

His behavior last year cannot happen, but it had everything to do with the team falling short of the playoff race, and not being happy with how the offense was being run.
    Because he was not the focus of it, and if he is not the focus this year, I believe he will ***** again. What if the team does not do well again. Is he only going to be a good team mate if he the offensive philosophy revolves around him being the #1 option? I think that if he caught 90 balls and the team finished 8-8 that he would be happy because he believed that tried to win because they threw him the ball. Throw it to someone else and your not trying to win. He was not mad that they threw the ball 60 times just that they did not throw it to him.

He is a player, not a coach or a GM- he does not make policy, he has his money so he does not need the stats for a new contract, just shut up or say I will do my part to make the team win, if they think me being the decoy gives them the best shot then i am ok with it. The jets have enough distractions with the media creating a QB issue. I don't even think he should apologize in the media for last year. Rex had him speak to Moore, Slauson and Sanchez in private, and that is all he needs to say.

Keep these conversations out of the media, like he said he is a five year vet, he should know better.
    Last edited by patman; 07-31-2012 at 09:23 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    I find the Santonio is passionate angle pretty funny.

The Eagles game was all I needed to see that this guy was an uncoachable me first douchebag...between the pathetic fumble and tipped pass and then following it up with an absolutely idiotic unsportsmanlike penalty....yeah...a 50 million dollar 5'10 possession receiver.

The Jets messed up...if there were any way of cutting him loose after last season he would have been gone.

You realize that we're all not walking around with "Back To Back AFC Championship Game Participants" t-shirts and caps right now without Santonio's heroics in 2010, right? The guy singlehandedly won games that our defense blew at Denver, at Detroit, and at Cleveland. The 11-5 record was the second-best out of the 50 year history of the club and without Holmes heroics, we're 8-8.

It's okay to slam the guy for 2011 Miami. However, you cannot slam his ability or his passion. The guy is the only offensive weapon we have, he's constantly doubled, he had a QB whose confidence was decimated by a horrible OL, and he's a proven success and a Super Bowl MVP. Take your hate elsewhere.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

You realize that we're all not walking around with "Back To Back AFC Championship Game Participants" t-shirts and caps right now without Santonio's heroics in 2010, right? The guy singlehandedly won games that our defense blew at Denver, at Detroit, and at Cleveland. The 11-5 record was the second-best out of the 50 year history of the club and without Holmes heroics, we're 8-8.

It's okay to slam the guy for 2011 Miami. However, you cannot slam his ability or his passion. The guy is the only offensive weapon we have, he's constantly doubled, he had a QB whose confidence was decimated by a horrible OL, and he's a proven success and a Super Bowl MVP. Take your hate elsewhere.

SAR I
    If Santonio Holmes is your best and only offensive weapon(I agree unfortunately) its time to get a new GM. Holmes persona doesnt fit with a rebuilding offense.

The lack of talent on offense is embarrassing. Our longest pass play last year was a screen pass and our longest pass through the air was thrown by a backup WR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    NFL.com reported that the jets have limited his media face time.

By Dan Hanzus
    Writer
    Published: July 30, 2012 at 09:28 p.m.
    Updated: July 31, 2012 at 01:24 a.m.

"The New York Jets have cut Santonio Holmes' media availability down to 10 minutes per week this season, ostensibly to protect the outspoken wide receiver from the controversy that so easily found him last season."

Either this is false, or he does not take the limits seriously.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This I agree with. Rex is afraid to step on toes.....as a coach the toughest thing to learn si that you cant be everyone's friend.....because there will always be Santonio types of personalities on the team that have ZERO issues walking right over you.
    It's a problem with any players-coach in the NFL. Very fine line to walk between being someone's pal and someone that others respect. When it comes to Santonio, he's one of the few Jets with a body of work that's superior to his head coach, having accomplished more than Rex has. So if anyone has the right to get lippy, it's the likes of Holmes.

I'm not saying he should, by the way. I'd prefer the whole team shut up, but if there's one player who has earned the ability to speak his mind based on recent past performance it's him. Take Revis and Mangold off the team, Holmes is our best player. We all love Revis and Mangold because they play well and are gentlemen. We can all love Holmes because he plays well and speaks his mind in an environment where his HC encourages it.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Exactly. Without Holmes: 9-7 in 2009 with multiple gifts from Indy and Cincy. Then 2010, as you stated.

I would make the argument that we were 8-8 w/o Holmes in 2011. As far as I am concerned he was wasted last season.

Take Holmes out of this offense this year and fans will be longing for the Schotty years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

By Dan Hanzus
    Writer

"The New York Jets have cut Santonio Holmes' media availability down to 10 minutes per week this season, ostensibly to protect the outspoken wide receiver from the controversy that so easily found him last season."

lmao...is this real?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

By Dan Hanzus
    Writer

As far as I am concerned they should cut media availability across the board. And they should start with Rex.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Santonio Holmes is your best and only offensive weapon(I agree unfortunately) its time to get a new GM. Holmes persona doesnt fit with a rebuilding offense.

The lack of talent on offense is embarrassing. Our longest pass play last year was a screen pass and our longest pass through the air was thrown by a backup WR.
    I agree completely, but this is the team we're going to war with and slamming our GM right now is not going to help. Same for me, slamming our HC is immaterial right now. It's August, we're a month from opening day, we've got to get behind the roster we have and see what happens.

If there's one thing, one thing, we can all agree Holmes did in Miami it was get Schitty out of here. Let's see what Sparano and a more simplistic offensive approach can do. The start of the season is tough, Holmes is all we have, time to let go of Miami and move on.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, his bombastic quotes usually only take 10 seconds so perhaps they should have decreased that limit further.

And honestly, can you blame Santonio this offseason? He's been the only guy blamed for last year's fiasco, he's taken a bigger hit than Ryan if you can believe it, and (in his mind) the nonsense continues this year as his head coach publicly slammed him with his "we didn't bring Santonio here to be our offensive coordinator" comment. It's like Rex and Holmes are taking their dirty personal laundry public. It's Rex's job to control this, not Santonio's. Holmes is doing this and no one is stopping him, so that's on the Jets just as much as on him.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

By Dan Hanzus
    Writer

Your premise is false.