Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Santonio the "scapegoat"...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    If Santonio Holmes is your best and only offensive weapon(I agree unfortunately) its time to get a new GM. Holmes persona doesnt fit with a rebuilding offense.

The lack of talent on offense is embarrassing. Our longest pass play last year was a screen pass and our longest pass through the air was thrown by a backup WR.
    I agree that Holmes did not handle the situation very well last year. Obviously you would like your team to keep everything in house and not have these public statements aired out. That being said, I can see how Holmes became so frustrated with the way things played out last year.

Look at how this offense was constructed last year. First the coaches decide to go to more of a passing attack and get away from the run first approach. Then to try to facilitate this who do they bring in at WR? Two guys in their mid to late 30s, one who was in prison for 2 years and one who was in his late 30s and clearly done. Then add in injuries and poor play by the O line, and you have what we saw last year. Honestly, this offense never stood a chance last season.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Exactly. Without Holmes: 9-7 in 2009 with multiple gifts from Indy and Cincy. Then 2010, as you stated.

I would make the argument that we were 8-8 w/o Holmes in 2011. As far as I am concerned he was wasted last season.

Take Holmes out of this offense this year and fans will be longing for the Schotty years.
    Santonio Holmes is our best offensive weapon by a long, long distance. Without LT as a receiving threat and with Greene likely not the second-coming of Terrell Davis, it's Holmes Or Bust this season.

We can all dislike his demeanor, but we can't dislike his ability. It must be amazingly frustrating for him to come here under the promise of surrounding him with talent and then finding out he's a one-man-show. If Hill and McKnight struggle, he's doomed without the likes of Burress and LT, we'll be worse than last year.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Would you rather have 22 guys that didn't care?
    No I want 22 guys that are working together. Do I like his passion? Yes. But there is a time and a place. The huddle with 2:00 mins to go in the final game was neither.

I am glad that Schottenheimer is gone. And Santonio's true colors will come out when the Jets wins some games in a 13-10 fashion and he has 2 catches for 9 yards. Will he happy with the win or does he just want to ball?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Santonio Holmes is our best offensive weapon by a long, long distance. Without LT as a receiving threat and with Greene likely not the second-coming of Terrell Davis, it's Holmes Or Bust this season.

We can all dislike his demeanor, but we can't dislike his ability. It must be amazingly frustrating for him to come here under the promise of surrounding him with talent and then finding out he's a one-man-show. If Hill and McKnight struggle, he's doomed without the likes of Burress and LT, we'll be worse than last year.

SAR I
    SAR I agree - Green needs to prove it this year that he can be the starting RB and keep the chains moving. in 2009 he had TJ and Braylon Edwards as the weapons. In 2010 LT, Holmes and Braylon were our threats. Now we have 2nd year Kerley, the rookie and Santonio. McKnight needs to step up this year as well. And I think all the success of our offense will be on the offensive line to open up holes and keep Sanchez from getting his uniform dirty.

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    With Schoddy gone, there is no freakin' way we're worse than last year.

I think Tone's already bought in with Sparano. A heavy run offense with some vertical attacks? Tone was made for this kinda offense.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    As far as I am concerned they should cut media availability across the board. And they should start with Rex.
    Yeah cut the head coach's media time, that's genius.

Veteran
    I didn't say "attitude". I said "passion". There's a big difference.

I don't support Santonio's antics (Twitter photo upon signing) or his timing (in huddle in Miami) but what went on last season in the locker room and on the field really got under his skin, really bothered him.

This team had, what, 10 captains? Where were they? At least Santonio showed some fire and got pissed. I still have the Jets Postgame Live from SNY after that Miami game. Those interviews with the other players who didn't care made me more ill than what Santonio did.

SAR I
    one player brought a 53-man team down with coaches and all! how embarrassing. the jets lacked character and leadership last year. let's hope they get some this year. Tebow is a good start in that regard.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    one player brought a 53-man team down with coaches and all! how embarrassing. the jets lacked character and leadership last year. let's hope they get some this year. Tebow is a good start in that regard.
    Wrong.

One player spoke out because he couldn't stand the horrible locker room chemistry, brutal play calling, and lack of urgency and 52 players didn't care enough to do anything about it at all.

That's ultimately what Santonio means by "scapegoat". Where was Revis calling a players-only defensive meeting after the Philadelphia debacle? Where was Mangold ripping on Hunter for all the breakdowns on the OL? The team had 10 captains who didn't do anything or step up their own effort.

Santonio cared. I'm not sure anyone else did.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He's TO, only not as good
    Yup.

And the "scapegoat" was Shotty, not him. Rightfully so.

He's just so egotistical and self-centered he can't see that.

Hope he helps us win in 2012, but beyond that I do hope we find a way to move on from him sooner rather than later. I just don't like him at all outside his being a Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Your premise is false.
    sorry, I don't understand. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    I find the Santonio is passionate angle pretty funny.

The Eagles game was all I needed to see that this guy was an uncoachable me first douchebag...between the pathetic fumble and tipped pass and then following it up with an absolutely idiotic unsportsmanlike penalty....yeah...a 50 million dollar 5'10 possession receiver.

The Jets messed up...if there were any way of cutting him loose after last season he would have been gone.
    With the team down by 3 scores!

If the Jets win 10+ games this year, it will be because Holmes makes some major contributions on gameday. I think he's a good receiver that would be an 80-catch guy in the right offense.

But please with the "passion" angle. Plenty of people can be passionate about their team without raining down excrement each time they stand in front of the media.

Wrong.

One player spoke out because he couldn't stand the horrible locker room chemistry, brutal play calling, and lack of urgency and 52 players didn't care enough to do anything about it at all.

That's ultimately what Santonio means by "scapegoat". Where was Revis calling a players-only defensive meeting after the Philadelphia debacle? Where was Mangold ripping on Hunter for all the breakdowns on the OL? The team had 10 captains who didn't do anything or step up their own effort.

SAR I

Actually Santonio was the reason the locker room had bad chemistry. Also the reason JCo wanted to be traded. He's not a scapegoat. He was the problem and everyone knows it.

All League
    I say he shuts his mouth. If he wants to start chirping or going on some sort of "media revival tour" where he tries to re-invent his image or try to save his image, then let us win some ****ing games first. This preseason bull**** is worth NADA and only makes us look like bigger fools as our "biggest offensive weapon" is talking everyday about some bull****.

SHUT UP SANTONIO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Yup.

And the "scapegoat" was Shotty, not him. Rightfully so.

He's just so egotistical and self-centered he can't see that.

Hope he helps us win in 2012, but beyond that I do hope we find a way to move on from him sooner rather than later. I just don't like him at all outside his being a Jet.
    +1

It's obvious that he's just not interested in being part of a team. Not sure if that means this team in particular or any team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Yeah cut the head coach's media time, that's genius.
    Stupid me. Rex's pressers haven't caused distractions and controversy.

But I do commend you for correct use of the ""

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Actually Santonio was the reason the locker room had bad chemistry. Also the reason JCo wanted to be traded. He's not a scapegoat. He was the problem and everyone knows it.
    Yeah the rest of the offense was happy with being lousy. Harmonious and happy with mediocrity. That's why Santonio was so pissed off.

A guy getting paid as a #1 WR.
    A guy quitting on the team.
    A guy who makes the job of our young fragile QB much harder than it needs to be.
    A guy who is MASSIVELY overrated and no where near a #1 WR.

If the dude didn't have contract we couldn't get away from we would have cut his ass this off season. These clowns don't change, be prepared for the malcontent to reemerge if things get tough.

All Pro
    All you angry people should be able to relate to him. He didn't say anything nearly as bad as you people, and you're not even on the team. This guys a pos. That guy is hot garbage, and the coach is a moron. If you guys actually played football you're heads would explode. Simmer down now.

I see what he's saying, especially with that loss to Miami. Don't forget we were down 2 scores when Santonio sat out the final 2 minutes, the game had basically been lost already and plenty of other guys were far more culpable in that loss than Santonio. Sure he did nothing in that game, but guys like Sanchez made awful plays that were actually the real reason we lost the game.

Then again, who really wants to hear this idiot with more of his nonsense?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Wrong.

SAR I
    Sanchez planned out extra meetings for himself and the receivers the week of the Miami game. Santonio didn't even show up. That's probably the biggest thing that made me hate the guy. Biggest game of the year, season on the line, against our hated rival, and our $50 million receiver refuses to attend and get some extra work in. He quit on his teammates, inexcusable.