Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Santonio the "scapegoat"...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Sanchez planned out extra meetings for himself and the receivers the week of the Miami game. Santonio didn't even show up. That's probably the biggest thing that made me hate the guy. Biggest game of the year, season on the line, against our hated rival, and our $50 million receiver refuses to attend and get some extra work in. He quit on his teammates, inexcusable.
    My recollection of that was that Santonio, after weeks of being ignored by his the offense, had had enough and didn't want to attend an extracurricular activity that he felt would lead nowhere. He'd been involved and was asking for more involvement for weeks and was disregarded.

His bailout on that last meeting was more of an indictment on Schottenheimer than it was on Sanchez and the rest of the team. And sure enough, he was ignored in Miami and that's when he popped. If you were the team's biggest offensive weapon, and a Super Bowl MVP, and weren't being used for weeks on end, eventually you're going to get frustrated. That's how I saw it. Was a Schottenheimer issue and Schottenheimer was booted.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I stopped right there...

Complete bull****. You know nothing about the player, if that's what you think.

His behavior last year cannot happen, but it had everything to do with the team falling short of the playoff race, and not being happy with how the offense was being run.
    Seem to recall an interview in the past month or so where his concern was that his games with a catch streak got closed out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    In many ways he was the scapegoat...He said nothing that was out of line here.
    All due respect ... your wrong ... he totally is the "ill take responsibility, .... it was all the other guys fault" guy on our team ... cant wait till hes gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped right there...

Complete bull****. You know nothing about the player, if that's what you think.

His behavior last year cannot happen, but it had everything to do with the team falling short of the playoff race, and not being happy with how the offense was being run.
    Geee ... I wonder who the Captain was that allowed this to happen ... oh wait ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's a problem with any players-coach in the NFL. Very fine line to walk between being someone's pal and someone that others respect. When it comes to Santonio, he's one of the few Jets with a body of work that's superior to his head coach, having accomplished more than Rex has. So if anyone has the right to get lippy, it's the likes of Holmes.
    How in the world do you figure that Santonio has accomplished more than Rex ? The dude has had 1 good season in his WR career and has been living off his SB performance, which in reality, wasn't all that. Oh wow, he made one toe dragging catch in a SB. Please. That catch is made almost weekly in the NFL.

I'm not saying he should, by the way. I'd prefer the whole team shut up, but if there's one player who has earned the ability to speak his mind based on recent past performance it's him. Take Revis and Mangold off the team, Holmes is our best player. We all love Revis and Mangold because they play well and are gentlemen. We can all love Holmes because he plays well and speaks his mind in an environment where his HC encourages it.

SAR I

No, we can't all love Holmes because he speaks his mind, because the farking idiot never grew up and never learned how to keep his mouth shut about things that shouldn't be in the public.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong.

One player spoke out because he couldn't stand the horrible locker room chemistry, brutal play calling, and lack of urgency and 52 players didn't care enough to do anything about it at all.

That's ultimately what Santonio means by "scapegoat". Where was Revis calling a players-only defensive meeting after the Philadelphia debacle? Where was Mangold ripping on Hunter for all the breakdowns on the OL? The team had 10 captains who didn't do anything or step up their own effort.

Santonio cared. I'm not sure anyone else did.

SAR I
    Santonio is a child in a mans game. His attitude reflects that ... problem is ... our QB is pretty immature himself.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong.

One player spoke out because he couldn't stand the horrible locker room chemistry, brutal play calling, and lack of urgency and 52 players didn't care enough to do anything about it at all.

That's ultimately what Santonio means by "scapegoat". Where was Revis calling a players-only defensive meeting after the Philadelphia debacle? Where was Mangold ripping on Hunter for all the breakdowns on the OL? The team had 10 captains who didn't do anything or step up their own effort.

Santonio cared. I'm not sure anyone else did.

SAR I
    Stunningly ironic considering the fact that HE WAS THE MAJOR PROBLEM in the "lockerroom chemistry".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My recollection of that was that Santonio, after weeks of being ignored by his the offense, had had enough and didn't want to attend an extracurricular activity that he felt would lead nowhere. He'd been involved and was asking for more involvement for weeks and was disregarded.

His bailout on that last meeting was more of an indictment on Schottenheimer than it was on Sanchez and the rest of the team. And sure enough, he was ignored in Miami and that's when he popped. If you were the team's biggest offensive weapon, and a Super Bowl MVP, and weren't being used for weeks on end, eventually you're going to get frustrated. That's how I saw it. Was a Schottenheimer issue and Schottenheimer was booted.

SAR I

Jesus, is there anything that Santonio could have done that YOU wouldn't sit here and make excuses for ?

Hell, if he had stabbed a team mate in the locker room, you'd probably be sitting here talking about how it was Shotty's fault, that he drove him to it and that Rex let it happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Actually Santonio was the reason the locker room had bad chemistry. Also the reason JCo wanted to be traded. He's not a scapegoat. He was the problem and everyone knows it.
    That is not true at all. I don't see how you can speak for Cotch like that much less the whole locker room. He has never said that and if he did please post it I'd love to see it. He simply wasn't the biggest issue in that locker room. I would have loved to see Cotch stay but he just had a chip on his shoulder and just wanted out. He said that he just didn't fit into the Jets anymore. Signing Plax and anointing him the #2 had way more to do with him wanting out then Holmes's attitude IMO. I think he just felt the front office was not giving him his dues. But that is speculation as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Cotch truly doesn't know why he left to be honest.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our QB can't throw.
    Our receiver still talks ****.
    We have no offensive line.
    Revis still acting douchey.
    Ryan declaring he is a champion of something.

The 2012 New York Jets: "Same Ol' ****, with maybe a better pash rush and coverage"

You can see this disaster coming a mile away.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demosthenes9 How in the world do you figure that Santonio has accomplished more than Rex ? The dude has had 1 good season in his WR career and has been living off his SB performance, which in reality, wasn't all that. Oh wow, he made one toe dragging catch in a SB. Please. That catch is made almost weekly in the NFL.

Santonio won a Super Bowl and was the game's MVP making a fantastic catch to seal the win. Rex was an assistant coach for the DL in his second season with the Ravens and got a ring. Not the same accomplishment.

No, we can't all love Holmes because he speaks his mind, because the farking idiot never grew up and never learned how to keep his mouth shut about things that shouldn't be in the public.

Please tell me you hate Rex Ryan just as much, because what you just described suits him to a tee.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Santonio is a child in a mans game. His attitude reflects that ... problem is ... our QB is pretty immature himself.
    Besides Mangold, there's only 1 Jet on offense that you can say is a true talent, someone that the other 31 teams would covet.

Like him or not, he's our playmaker. The only one until proven otherwise, in fact.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    Our QB can't throw.
    Our receiver still talks ****.
    We have no offensive line.
    Revis still acting douchey.
    Ryan declaring he is a champion of something.

The 2012 New York Jets: "Same Ol' ****, with maybe a better pash rush and coverage"

You can see this disaster coming a mile away.
    Congrats you're the first to proclaim this year's team SOJ. I'm impressed, I figured it would take at least until the first preseason game

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Stunningly ironic considering the fact that HE WAS THE MAJOR PROBLEM in the "lockerroom chemistry".
    Or, he was the scapegoat for a rotten group of players being mismanaged by their head coach who admitted he was completely "out of touch".

I'm not saying Holmes is innocent; I'm merely saying he's not the only one who is guilty. In a locker room that divided, surely there were others who were malcontents. Read the McElroy interview. He didn't mention only one player as the problem. He said he'd never seen a bunch of guys so selfish and so disconnected. Holmes was part of the problem but not the whole thing. He was just he one to go public and did it in a bad and obvious way.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is such a cancer. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't count on him so much, but he we do because he happens to be our best playmaker on offense at the same time.

I pray to God Tebow never comes in the game. Santonio's head would explode at the thought of Tebow trying to find him open.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Congrats you're the first to proclaim this year's team SOJ. I'm impressed, I figured it would take at least until the first preseason game
    There is some hyperbole from my post, no doubt. However, the ills of this team are still there and the offensive line producers have aged, with their replacements still sucking balls. How anyone can expect anything other than another "let's play 3 and out offense" is beyond me at this point. The main problem with this team is in its personnel, and a coach still stumbling around trying to be a coach.

I do, however, think that the defensive problems will be a bit better but just like in the previous years, they will fall apart late game from being on the field too long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So in an article where Holmes takes the heart of the blame for last year, Jet s fans are irrate and spew more hatred?

The article is from his interview on ESPN radio this afternoon, I urge you to listen to the podcast from Rocco and Stephen A, it's 12 minutes, and it's a good listen. The Santonio hate continues to be shameful.

The one thing that is clear from that interview, the problem was the guy who is now coaching the Rams offense, Holmes seems ecstatic about the state of the team and his new offensive coordinator.
    dude, he quit during a game in which sh*t got tough...no way can you sugar coat that crap...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santonio won a Super Bowl and was the game's MVP making a fantastic catch to seal the win. Rex was an assistant coach for the DL in his second season with the Ravens and got a ring. Not the same accomplishment.
    The Steelers won the SB, Holmes just caught some of the passes. You think they would have lost if they had some other receiver instead of Holmes ?

Also, your description of Rex is misleading (might be unintentional). He was Defensive Line coach. Am making that distinction because there are "assistant defensive line coaches" as well

Please tell me you hate Rex Ryan just as much, because what you just described suits him to a tee.

SAR I
    Actually, it doesn't. Not all loud mouth, boisterous people are the same. Most of what Rex goes on and on about is pretty harmless.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I

Not how I saw it.

Schotty was certainly part of it. But it sounded more like it was a Santonio and Sanchez problem...where Santonio later CALLED OUT HIS QB, threw him under the bus, questioned his skills etc. to the media.

DUMB

ASS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    That is not true at all. I don't see how you can speak for Cotch like that much less the whole locker room. He has never said that and if he did please post it I'd love to see it. He simply wasn't the biggest issue in that locker room. I would have loved to see Cotch stay but he just had a chip on his shoulder and just wanted out. He said that he just didn't fit into the Jets anymore. Signing Plax and anointing him the #2 had way more to do with him wanting out then Holmes's attitude IMO. I think he just felt the front office was not giving him his dues. But that is speculation as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Cotch truly doesn't know why he left to be honest.
    Haha, really dude? You really think I'm speaking FOR Cotchery or the locker room? Wow. First off, get it straight and search the internet for your own benefit before calling someone out and then asking for the proof. Just makes people really annoyed that you'd talk sh!t out of your ignorance and then ask them to do the work for you. Regardless, here you go:

JCo has made it clear that he no longer fit in with the "atmosphere". It was also reported that he couldn't stand being in the WR meetings anymore.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...d-damien-woody

One source said Cotchery was desperate to get out because he couldn’t bear the thought of sitting in the receivers meeting room.
    Brandon Moore calls out Santonio within weeks of the season starting. Rex appoints Moore a captain.

Right guard Brandon Moore fired back at Holmes, telling ESPNNewYork.com that Holmes is creating a rift in the locker room by criticizing teammates.

"He's obviously got the green light to evaluate every position on the team," Moore said. "I just didn't think captaincy entailed that. I've never seen a captain do that. That's not leading. That's not being a leader. It actually fragments the locker room. It's not productive."

So here are two quotes, one sites a "source" because JCo isn't going to come out and trash anyone publicly because he has too much class. The other is directly from Brandon Moore about Holmes and the state of the locker room. Am I still wrong and speaking for others?