Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio the "scapegoat"...

All League

Santonio the "scapegoat"...

This dude can't be serious. Will he ever just shut the **** up? I am starting to really hate this guy on our team. He is a one man self destructing disaster.

What will he say next?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ves_he_wa.html

All League
    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets are working to rebuild their team for the 2012 season here at training camp. But when Santonio Holmes looks back at the disappointing 2011 campaign, in particular the disastrous season-ending loss to Miami, he still believes he was the "scapegoat."

"It was the end, it was playoffs on the line, and your best receiver doesnít get but two passes thrown his way in 60 minutes of football," Holmes told ESPN 98.7 today. "Thatís just hard to understand and to cope with when you want everything just as bad as everybody else does, and it just doesnít even happen. And nobody has the answers for it, but 'the scapegoat' is the answer, and thatís what happened."

Holmes was benched for the final two minutes of that game by former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, after fighting with teammate Wayne Hunter in the huddle. The game came to define the Jets' 8-8 season, one derailed by a fractured locker room and a well-documented rift between Holmes and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Holmes has been previously reluctant to admit responsibility for his role in the in-fighting, but he conceded today that his public comments last season -- at times, he was critical of Sanchez and the offensive line through the media -- contributed to the tension.

"Was me, it was me," Holmes said, when asked what was at the heart of his problems last season. "Not answering those questions in that manner. Not saying the things that were asked of me to say, and just learning how to hold my tongue and to be more critical of myself instead of others."

Holmes said he had sit-downs with Hunter, coach Rex Ryan and right guard Brandon Moore, and they have rebuilt trust. He also believes new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who replaced Schottenheimer, is the key to a unified offense this year.

"That was the reason for us bringing in Coach Sparano, to have him to be able to control what goes on in our locker room and get it fixed right then and there," Holmes said. "He told us, no matter what, he is going to make sure we are all taken care of. And I think bringing that attitude in toward us this season is probably something we were missing back then. Itís everybody being accountable for what has to take place for us to win as a team."

In many ways he was the scapegoat...He said nothing that was out of line here.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    In many ways he was the scapegoat...
    True, but a certain offensive coordinator in St. Louis might disagree.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He's TO, only not as good

All League
    He does have a point...but honestly, when will he stop talking to the media and just play ****ing football? He needs to shut up already. Enough is enough.

I don't care anymore, as long as he plays well on the field. He's never going to change.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    He does have a point...
    Based on what we know now about the 2011 Jets it is amazing that more players didn't have similar eruptions. I give Santonio credit for showing emotion. So many other players didn't. This guy cares, would take 21 more starters with similar passion.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really can't wait until he's no longer on this team. What year is he cuttable where it doesn't kill the cap?

And I don't believe what was said here is that big of a deal. He does need to STFU but this is no biggy. I still can't wait until this POS is no longer a Jet.

3, 2. 1...... until Rah Rah and DWCHIT come here and tell us how great he is and wrong we are.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    True, but a certain offensive coordinator in St. Louis might disagree.
    if that said OC wasn't so schitty we wouldn't be having this convo and he'd be here instead...

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Based on what we know now about the 2011 Jets it is amazing that more players didn't have similar eruptions. I give Santonio credit for showing emotion. So many other players didn't. This guy cares, would take 21 more starters with similar passion.

SAR I
    for once i cant help but agree with you to a degree.

SAR I
    Exactly--Holmes is merely pointing out the obvious. The team was in a state of chaos and management was totally clueless. Give this guy a quarterback who can throw the football and he could be very productive.

All League
    There are so many receivers that have a "me first attitude". That's why it's important to find the Cotchery's and the Chrebets to bolster your receiving core. I like that fact thy he wants the ball but there probably is a better way to go about it in house. In a perfect world that'd be the case, but that just doesn't happen. With Holmes, you just have to hope for the best. It would be nice to land a Larry fitz or a megatron but those guys are few and far between.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    if that said OC wasn't so schitty we wouldn't be having this convo and he'd be here instead...
    True, just saying the scapegoat comment isn't necessarily accurate.

Holmes needs to stop talking and start playing. He's the type of player who needs his touches or he gets moody and starts to affect everyone around him. Hopefully the new offensive system is a breath of fresh air which utilizes our talent well.

SAR I
    That's brilliant~! A team with 22 guys with attitudes like that of Santonio Holmes won't win a damned thing.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    That's brilliant~! A team with 22 guys with attitudes like that of Santonio Holmes won't win a damned thing.
    I didn't say "attitude". I said "passion". There's a big difference.

I don't support Santonio's antics (Twitter photo upon signing) or his timing (in huddle in Miami) but what went on last season in the locker room and on the field really got under his skin, really bothered him.

This team had, what, 10 captains? Where were they? At least Santonio showed some fire and got pissed. I still have the Jets Postgame Live from SNY after that Miami game. Those interviews with the other players who didn't care made me more ill than what Santonio did.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He's TO, only not as good
    Nothing like To. He basically said there was nowhere to go with the problems he saw with the offense. No one to listen, and he finally had a melt down. Scapegoat was the wrong word. I think he meant that he was the only one that would say anything about it. He's not the greatest of orators (Demosthenes is no Demosthenes either.) . He's put all the pressure on himself this year to prove he was right about Shotty.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-30-2012 at 11:08 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Would you rather have 22 guys that didn't care?

I didn't say "attitude". I said "passion". There's a big difference.

I don't support Santonio's antics (Twitter photo upon signing) or his timing (in huddle in Miami) but what went on last season in the locker room and on the field really got under his skin, really bothered him.

This team had, what, 10 captains? Where were they? At least Santonio showed some fire and got pissed. I still have the Jets Postgame Live from SNY after that Miami game. Those interviews with the other players who didn't care made me more ill than what Santonio did.

SAR I

The problem though is that his attitude gets in the way of that passion and he will continue to be a cancer unless it changes.

Ironic thing is that the rest of the interview was great and when listening to it, I got the notion that Holmes had finally grown up and gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Would you rather have 22 guys that didn't care?
    I'd rather have 22 guys with great attitudes who could actually work well TOGETHER, seeing as how football is a team sport.