Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to DREAM.... just imagine what this DEFENSE will look like IF--

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time to DREAM.... just imagine what this DEFENSE will look like IF--

If the pieces come together. Let's be positive for a moment, shall we?

Imagine--

If Maybin and Sapp come into their career fruition here.

If Coples is who I think he is - a beastly force on the D-line

If Wilk takes another stride forward

If Ellis continues growing.

If we have 3 legitimate MLBs to rotate in there. Keep 'em fast and fresh

If Landry & Co come together healthy. That secondary!!

God. this is first time i've been this jacked about defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    imagine if we can get a rush with just 4, with revis shutting down 1 wr by himself

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    imagine if we can get a rush with just 4, with revis shutting down 1 wr by himself
    And safeties blanketing TEs.

Nice thought, hope it happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If all those "if's" come true, we will, no doubt, have the league's top-ranked defense. There is so much potential to be had here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Coples can step in and play at a high level right away, this d-line is one of the best in football, and deep too.

Love what I am hearing about Ricky Sapp, the defense could use his type of skill set out there, an OLB who plays both run and pass well. I'll be watching him closely in the preseason games.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 07-31-2012 at 12:27 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pass rush is all we have always needed since Rex got here.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Sparano will lower our 3 & out rates by a wide margin on offense. That alone should be enough for us to get in the playoffs.

Edit: What I'm implying is that our defense is already great. It doesn't need to get better as much as our offense does. On the defensive side, we were top 3 on 3-and-outs forced the last two years. You could sense the players getting restless last season by having to be on the field all day.
    Last edited by david1023; 07-31-2012 at 12:51 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Landry's healthy. If we don't have to compensate for slow safeties, now hearing that he and Bell are much quicker than we thought. It could be a scary good defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell if we can find one guy who can beat a one on one block coming of the edge consistently this defense will be nice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Imagine--

If just #1, #2, #6 happen and everyone else has the same baseline as last year's performance this alone will make the D very scary. Put in the other improvements, Ellis, Wilks additional familiarity/experience in the D, DeMario Davis, Lankster, the new unheralded NT etc this D could well become the best in the league

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're on the verge of seeing, by far, our strongest defensive unit to date under coach Ryan. It's scary good. We're without question, the deepest we've ever been, within all three phases in regards to the defensive side of the ball. From the defensive line, to our linebackers, all the way back to our secondary; we've never seen a Jets defense as fully loaded as this one. I'll allow others to speak upon our linebackers and secondary, but I'd like to start with the defensive front.

When running a 3-4 defense, as we all know; it all starts up front with our 3-4 NT in Sione Pouha. As a fan base, I believe we're all thankful that we're currently featuring such an elite nose tackle. He's quickly emerged (dating back to 2009) into one of the strongest NT's around. Just an overall solid/productive 3-4 NT. He's the anchor of our defense line, and has anchored three consecutive defensive unit's in which have ranked top 5. With Pouha being surrounded by all this talent, the sky becomes the limit for Pouha himself.

Now, we already know what we've drafted in Wilkerson, which is a great 3-4 defensive end, we just don't know how great this kid can truly become (time will tell). I've heard our coaching staff state that Wilkerson has the ability and/or potential to become our second best defender, behind only Revis. Now, if our rookie in Quinton Coples can emerge as another strong defensive end? We could be on the verge of featuring our strongest set of defensive ends since John Abraham and Shaun Ellis of the (early) 2000's. We could be set at our end position(s) for many of years to come. It's something to look forward to.

Our depth is what puts this unit over the top. You have a 2nd year player in Kenrick Ellis who's built like a freak of nature at 6' 4", 346 pounds. This is our backup 3-4 NT needed in order to spell Pouha moving forward. Then we'll also have strong 3-4 DE depth in Mike DeVito, who's returning from injury at the age of only 28. DeVito is very strong at the point of attack, and should help us set the edge on a consistent basis. We also have 2nd year and 3rd year players in Martin Tevaseu and Marcus Dixon who provide us with great depth. Both are very big at 6'4, 295 (Dixon) and 6'2 325 (Tevaseu).

Between Coples, Pouha, Wilkerson, Ellis, DeVito, Dixon and MTV... We're extremely deep. We're also very young in regards to Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Dixon and MTV. It wasn't long ago, we're our fan base was begging for a younger defensive line. We've gone with the youth movement and have completely re-vamped our defensive front over the past two off-seasons. GM Mike Tannenbaum and coach Ryan both deserve lots of credit for this. They've taken (at the time) our weakest defensive unit, and have (since) turned it into the strength of our defense, in less than three seasons too.

What I've grown to appreciate the most in regards to our defensive line, outside of not only pure talent but also overall depth, would have to be our overall versatility. We can do so much and/or run so many different schemes with this defensive line. I have a feeling we'll be lining up both Wilkerson and (especially) Coples all over the defensive line.

We can now load up the defensive line with huge bodies in obvious running situations with Wilkerson (315), Ellis (346), Pouha (325) and Tevaseu (325). Imagine this front 4 (when going to a 4-3 scheme) with run stuffing LB's such as Scott, Harris and Thomas playing behind during obvious running situations? We're talking about a combined 1,311 pounds between Wilkerson, Pouha, Ellis and MTV. With Bart Scott, David Harris and Bryan Thomas/Quinton Coples playing behind those guys? I'm sorry, but you're not rushing the football with any type of success against that front 7. At least not on a consistent basis your not.

We also have lots of different ways to rush the passer. We can see defensive lines featuring both Pouha and Ellis as our 4-3 DT's with Pace and Maybin as our outside pass rushing DE(s). We could also see Wilkerson and Coples as our 4-3 DT's with Maybin and Sapp as our pass rushing DE's during obvious passing (2nd/3rd and long) situations.

I honestly can't wait until we see a 3-4 defensive line featuring Wilkerson and Coples as our DE's with K.Ellis as our 3-4 NT. Talk about a youth movement. All in all, the overall ability of our re-vamped defensive line can become something special. Our potential goes through the roof. And the talent level is second to none in regards to what we've featured over the years. Rex Ryan may like having lots of secondary players, most notably CB's, but there's no question about it, at the end of the night; Rex Ryan is a defensive lineman. You can just tell in regards to what we've done with this defensive line dating back to 2009.

I'm just as anxious in regards to our linebackers and/or secondary (after the additions of Bell and Landry), but I believe our defense will be featured around not only Revis (like it's been featured over the past 3 seasons) but also (now) our defensive line. If healthy, it'll become a force to be reckoned with. No questions about it.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-31-2012 at 02:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine--

If you were to read their draft consensus, they are practically clones. Both were noted for their very quick first steps and strong closing bursts to get to the QB. We all see what Maybin can do. But Sapp had 17.5 sacks in college. So he may also be a weapon in Rex blitz sub packages.

If Sapp has success similar to Maybin, then I'm calling them:

Mayhem and the Sapp Exchange

Coples is a multi-positional player within the front seven, that can be a dominant force. He will need to be double teamed at all times. He's a big reason why the Jets will be in a lot of 4-3 formations. Another big reason is also the rise of Wilkerson.

As I say...from now on...

When you play the Jets...an opposing QB is always a Coples of hits away from landing in San Quinton...doing time rehabbing
    various body parts.

I thought Mo was going to start ascending into Beast mode this year. But that was assuming he was going to playing mostly 3-4 D. In the 4-3...he is a Beast!

The speed-athleticism at 340...makes me think Kenrick can be a poor man's Ngata.

Landry and Bell will clean up the mess of last year's middle of field play. No more easy strolls and picnics for TE's and slutt receivers.

Can't wait to see Rex-Dunbar's authentic Buddy Ryan 46 defense they're going to put into action.

The 2012 Jets D has to play with this kind of attitude against opposing offenses:

"No runs allowed. So now you have two choices...
    Either your receivers get lost on an Island bigger then Revis. Or your QB experiences Mayhem and lands in San Quinton...doing rehab time. What's it gonna be...you decide."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF we can:

1. Get a conventional pass rush.
    2. Cover the TE.
    3. Be a good tackling defense. - very important and overlooked IMO. Leonhard was as sure a tackler as there is. I think our tackling last season was not as good as it was in years past.
    4. Force turnovers.

We would be a Top 3 defense in points and yards that plays consistent. Not #5 in yards and #20-something in another category.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    IF we can:

1. Get a conventional pass rush.
    2. Cover the TE.
    3. Be a good tackling defense. - very important and overlooked IMO. Leonhard was as sure a tackler as there is. I think our tackling last season was not as good as it was in years past.
    4. Force turnovers.

We would be a Top 3 defense in points and yards that plays consistent. Not #5 in yards and #20-something in another category.
    I don't think Leonard is any more sure a tackler, than Bell, or Landry. Both like extra LBs out there. They're better in coverage as well, which may allow us to us run more base defense. We're more versatile also, where we can switch up the defense without substituting. Teams should start giving up on the run, like they did in '09 '10

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I don't think Leonard is any more sure a tackler, than Bell, or Landry. Both like extra LBs out there. They're better in coverage as well, which may allow us to us run more base defense. We're more versatile also, where we can switch up the defense without substituting. Teams should start giving up on the run, like they did in '09 '10
    I respect your opinion but I disagree with almost everything you said here. Landry and Bell are bigger hitters but that doesn't equate to being a better tackler. I admit to being a huge Leonhard fan but I can only recall him missing a few tackles in his three years. He was exceptional at getting people to the ground. And I don't know why you think they are better in coverage. Leonhard was not great in coverage by any means, but every video and highlight I have seen of Landry and Bell has them making the play AFTER the receiver has already caught the ball. I do agree however that their size will be beneficial in run defense. But what rushing offense in our division scares you? We should be able to stop those teams anyway. Our main problems in 2011 were defending the pass in the middle of the field and the outside run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best part of the potential here is the age and speed of these players.

We have a very strong defense, with every key player under contract, although revis will obviously renegoitiated. Not a single front 7 guy is over 30 excpet for pouha. Pretty good chance we will have a solid group for the next 3-5 years.

98 Quinton Coples DE 22
    55 Ricky Sapp DE 25
    96 M. Wilkerson DE 22
    93 Kenrick Ellis DT 24
    49 Demario Davis LB 23
    44 Marcus Dowtin LB 23
    52 David Harris LB 28
    51 Aaron Maybin LB 24

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    A pass rush is all we have always needed since Rex got here.

Actually since before Rex got here... since John Abraham was traded in 2005. And we still don't have it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    We're on the verge of seeing, by far, our strongest defensive unit to date under coach Ryan. It's scary good. We're without question, the deepest we've ever been, within all three phases in regards to the defensive side of the ball. From the defensive line, to our linebackers, all the way back to our secondary; we've never seen a Jets defense as fully loaded as this one. I'll allow others to speak upon our linebackers and secondary, but I'd like to start with the defensive front.

When running a 3-4 defense, as we all know; it all starts up front with our 3-4 NT in Sione Pouha. As a fan base, I believe we're all thankful that we're currently featuring such an elite nose tackle. He's quickly emerged (dating back to 2009) into one of the strongest NT's around. Just an overall solid/productive 3-4 NT. He's the anchor of our defense line, and has anchored three consecutive defensive unit's in which have ranked top 5. With Pouha being surrounded by all this talent, the sky becomes the limit for Pouha himself.

Now, we already know what we've drafted in Wilkerson, which is a great 3-4 defensive end, we just don't know how great this kid can truly become (time will tell). I've heard our coaching staff state that Wilkerson has the ability and/or potential to become our second best defender, behind only Revis. Now, if our rookie in Quinton Coples can emerge as another strong defensive end? We could be on the verge of featuring our strongest set of defensive ends since John Abraham and Shaun Ellis of the (early) 2000's. We could be set at our end position(s) for many of years to come. It's something to look forward to.

Our depth is what puts this unit over the top. You have a 2nd year player in Kenrick Ellis who's built like a freak of nature at 6' 4", 346 pounds. This is our backup 3-4 NT needed in order to spell Pouha moving forward. Then we'll also have strong 3-4 DE depth in Mike DeVito, who's returning from injury at the age of only 28. DeVito is very strong at the point of attack, and should help us set the edge on a consistent basis. We also have 2nd year and 3rd year players in Martin Tevaseu and Marcus Dixon who provide us with great depth. Both are very big at 6'4, 295 (Dixon) and 6'2 325 (Tevaseu).

Between Coples, Pouha, Wilkerson, Ellis, DeVito, Dixon and MTV... We're extremely deep. We're also very young in regards to Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Dixon and MTV. It wasn't long ago, we're our fan base was begging for a younger defensive line. We've gone with the youth movement and have completely re-vamped our defensive front over the past two off-seasons. GM Mike Tannenbaum and coach Ryan both deserve lots of credit for this. They've taken (at the time) our weakest defensive unit, and have (since) turned it into the strength of our defense, in less than three seasons too.

What I've grown to appreciate the most in regards to our defensive line, outside of not only pure talent but also overall depth, would have to be our overall versatility. We can do so much and/or run so many different schemes with this defensive line. I have a feeling we'll be lining up both Wilkerson and (especially) Coples all over the defensive line.

We can now load up the defensive line with huge bodies in obvious running situations with Wilkerson (315), Ellis (346), Pouha (325) and Tevaseu (325). Imagine this front 4 (when going to a 4-3 scheme) with run stuffing LB's such as Scott, Harris and Thomas playing behind during obvious running situations? We're talking about a combined 1,311 pounds between Wilkerson, Pouha, Ellis and MTV. With Bart Scott, David Harris and Bryan Thomas/Quinton Coples playing behind those guys? I'm sorry, but you're not rushing the football with any type of success against that front 7. At least not on a consistent basis your not.

We also have lots of different ways to rush the passer. We can see defensive lines featuring both Pouha and Ellis as our 4-3 DT's with Pace and Maybin as our outside pass rushing DE(s). We could also see Wilkerson and Coples as our 4-3 DT's with Maybin and Sapp as our pass rushing DE's during obvious passing (2nd/3rd and long) situations.

I honestly can't wait until we see a 3-4 defensive line featuring Wilkerson and Coples as our DE's with K.Ellis as our 3-4 NT. Talk about a youth movement. All in all, the overall ability of our re-vamped defensive line can become something special. Our potential goes through the roof. And the talent level is second to none in regards to what we've featured over the years. Rex Ryan may like having lots of secondary players, most notably CB's, but there's no question about it, at the end of the night; Rex Ryan is a defensive lineman. You can just tell in regards to what we've done with this defensive line dating back to 2009.

I'm just as anxious in regards to our linebackers and/or secondary (after the additions of Bell and Landry), but I believe our defense will be featured around not only Revis (like it's been featured over the past 3 seasons) but also (now) our defensive line. If healthy, it'll become a force to be reckoned with. No questions about it.
    Vintage buffoonery.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Bryan Thomas is going to have to contribute early for this defense to dominate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time to DREAM.... just imagine what this OFFENSE will look like IF--

Imagine--

Imagine--

If Mark Sanchez can pull an Eli Manning in his fourth year.

If Wayne Hunter plays with consistency instead of like a revolving door.

If Shonn Greene runs for 1200-1500 yards.

If Joe McKnight can play LT-esque on 3rd downs.

If Stephen Hill can block and command safety help.

If Hayden Smith can make the 53 man squad and be our version of Ron Gronkowski. (don't laugh this will happen except unfortunately he has a wife and won't make videos with strippers)

God. i hope this isn't deja vu of every offense over the last decade+ that's disappointed.