Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Eric Smith get Cut??

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    again, torn knee. He was operated on after the season. It didn't get a ton of press but Eric Smith is way better than he played on xmas eve. He was out there toughing it out.

The real culprit on that play btw was Cro and Kyle Wilson BOTH missing tackles.
    A DB with a torn knee who is out there playing is an idiot who is hurting the team horribly. Smith, being a safety, whose job it is to prevent long scores when others screwed up failed so badly on that play it was laughable.

...he's making 2 mil this year with no dead cap money if cut...he could be gone...

Leonhard: Pick against Chargers in the playoffs.....Many other big plays

Dwight Lowery: Pick 6 against Favre and the Vikings

Brodney Pool: 2 picks against the Pats

Abrahm ELam: Multiple strip sacks....one for a TD against the Bills

Eric Smith.......ZILCH

I want my safeties fast or atleast decent speed and acceleration and with playmaking ability.....Even the backups should make plays here and there. This is the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Leonhard: Pick against Chargers in the playoffs.....Many other big plays

Dwight Lowery: Pick 6 against Favre and the Vikings

Brodney Pool: 2 picks against the Pats

Abrahm ELam: Multiple strip sacks....one for a TD against the Bills

Eric Smith.......ZILCH

I want my safeties fast or atleast decent speed and acceleration and with playmaking ability.....Even the backups should make plays here and there. This is the NFL
    Eric Smith single handedly knocked Wes Welker out of a playoff game...

No, he didn't come off... But he completely disappeared after the hit...

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

I gave him props for that hit in the OP......

2010 playoffs he played well against the Colts and Patriots, but I've NEVER seen him make any big plays in all of his years here on defense

Have you ever just been like, "Wow what a play by Eric Smith!"

I can count a ton of times where it was the opposite....Me being pissed off about his pathetic coverage or speed

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

He had a couple nice hits over the years. So if he can put on about 30lbs of muscle, and come back as a LB we may have something. If Allen shows he can pick up the system, and Landry stays healthy, it might not be a bad idea to let him walk. Even if we have to re sign him later, for less money.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    This.

People that claim that Smith is a "good back up", name me ONE big, game changing play on defense by Eric Smith in all of his years here.

He's absolute garbage at safety......And his special teams play does not make up for a valuable roster spot IMO
    Smith put his head down and rocked Welker in that playoff game, when the Pats were struggling. I think Smith knocked his Patriots decal off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Come on bro, you had to be watching the 2010 AFC Divisional playoffs when Smith knocked the decal off Welker's helmet he hit him so hard. Our D shut down the Pats vaunted O without Leonard. This is a silly thread
    This right here. Smith had a great game that day. Nevertheless, if never starts another game for us I'd be happy.

OK guys, the big hit on Welker.....agreed, nice play by Smith

He was playing at an unreal level in those playoffs, which unfortuantely, is not the real Eric Smith we have seen the rest of his time as a Jet.

He can hit though, we all know that.....It's his complete inability to guard ANYONE in coverage that makes him such a liability overall......Teams were picking on him left and right last season on 3rd downs....it was embarressing

Yes you can stack him in the box, but why should we have to settle for a guy that is just so bad in crucial areas of what makes a succesful safety.....He is not making big plays left and right in the box either....he's just merely a "sure tackler" that will make a few big hits a year (sometimes illegal or borderline dirty).

Call me crazy, but I'd rather see what a young guy like Allen or Bush could do back there if it gets down to it. There will still be cuts and other vets that become available as well later on before the season starts. I really can't imagine EVER thinking to myself, "damn man, we really miss Eric Smith back there!", no matter who ends up playing safety.....Can you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    We always find a KR...and if Powell beats out McKnight...its a possibility imo...
    RUMOR of the day: Its really sickening!

Unless we do give Revis a raise I think we keep him for now. I am actually shocked how much cap space we still have. I could see us holding on to him as a 5th BU or trade bate. I think he has some value to this team. With so many teams in need of a S right now he may be worth keeping. The man can block in ST. Maybe he could do it at TE as well?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...
    Fine; sit him. Like I care.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Nah, doubt it.

My surprise cut would be McKnight
    Have you been following camp at all?

McKnight has been one of the best performers.

Oh yeah, he throw up once two years ago so he sucks, lolz

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    everyone bashes the dude but he played last year with a torn meniscus (and was the team's leading tackler) after losing Jim Leonard they had to play Smith. but really he should have never been put in that situation. This year as a 3rd safety and special teams ace, he's fine.
    Classic Bitonti.

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Have you been following camp at all?

McKnight has been one of the best performers.

Oh yeah, he throw up once two years ago so he sucks, lolz
    I have been following. The 3rd down back that apparently McKnight locked up is now up for grabs. McKnight can't block either.

The Jets still haven’t decided between Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell for the third-down back job.

“That job’s open right now,” Lynn said. “Bilal has done more (blocking in the past). I’m not saying that he’s better than Joe. That’s why we have camp.
    I'd guess he's on the bubble if they feel they can have someone else be the KR.

I don't like Smith's game. I think he's straight when he's in a rover position and plays as the 4th linebacker like he did more in the playoff's 2 years ago against NE and Indy. I don't mind him there but when he's in the backline defending he's so bad and he can't cover ANY TE in this league and I do mean ANY. He reads the slants extremely well and all the crossing routes but if you break and out on him or run a flag upfield he's toast. He can't handle the deep post at all either but anything in front of 12 yards he reads pretty well and he's steady against the run. Smith to me is a guy you play at that Rover position and use him to spare a starter for a play or 2. He can't play every down cause he's such a liabilty to too many routes & he bites on double moves way too often & he doesn't break up enough plays. You don't see near INT's from him. He'll lay someone out but its extremely rare that he actually gets his hands on the ball.

With all this being said ... I can't stand the guy but Rex isn't cutting him. There's too many health questions with Landry and he knows Rex's system too well. One of the rookies will go before Smith and lets not forget he plays special teams for Westy and Westy loves him. Usually that 4th safety Westy will make the call cause he'll play special teams more and we all know that Smith will be picked. You can bet the house on Smith NOT getting cut just cause he knows the system so well and he'll make some playcalls based on what he see's but the defense is being touched up this year where the linebackers are making more calls and not the safety's. In that regard I see Smith playing less because of that but he won't get cut. If we're lucky he only plays 8-10 snaps a game. That's what I'm hoping ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    With so many teams in need of a S right now he may be worth keeping.
    Then, why has nobody signed Jim Leonhard yet??

He knows the defense so well that he inexplicitly slants inside when he should be absolutely holding contain.......But not to worry, as he "makes up for it" with his great effort and blazing speed

He should've been cut for this disaster alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msP2C...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Then, why has nobody signed Jim Leonhard yet??
    He is still hurt.