Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: Will Eric Smith get Cut??

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a Westy favorite.

    No chance he gets cut.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way he gets cut.

    Smith was a very effective STs player and a good role player in the defense. What happened was the coaches asked him to do too much and he got exposed. Hopefully he can go back to being an effective backup and ST player, but teams will take notice when he is on the field.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Brady, Fitzpatrick and all the other QB's on our schedule sure as hell hope not. Smith is just about the worst starter at any position in the NFL. If the Jets are counting on him to make defensive calls, then we've got much bigger problems than we thought.
    Wow, that's not much of an exaggeration...although you could definitely make that argument on the other side of the ball (RT?)

    As others have said, Smith is highly replaceable as a starter, but is a valuable backup. Before being pushed into the starting lineup late in '10 he was quality off the bench - let's hope he returns to that role by week 1.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    As others have already pointed out, no chance Smith gets cut.

    He may have been a lousy starter but he's a good backup and a special teams ace. He's definitley a valuable contributor, he'll be on the 53 man roster for sure.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Maybe it was because he couldn't/wouldn't tackle. Just a guess.
    Exaggeration and I've never loved Rhodes either, but you cannot say that they've ever made an attempt to upgrade the position with athleticism since. Cheap fliers on Pool, or rehabbing castoff FA's, or white midgets, hardly makes you think they care much about safety. If they did, Smith would be out.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean he's a good back up??? Because he knows the playbook???

    He's a garbage player whenever he is on the field on defense....starting or filling in

    I'd much rather go with a young, athletic guy who will make some mistakes but possibly make some big plays as well

    WHo cares if Eric Smith knows the defense?? He knew what to do against Tebow and Cruz last season but he's so limited physically, it did absolutely nothing

    Maybe for special teams.......That's it

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    He won't get cut but he should get cut. There is no way the jets should let a younger more promising safety get away or get poached from the psqaud in lieu of snail feet Smith.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He won't get cut but he should get cut. There is no way the jets should let a younger more promising safety get away or get poached from the psqaud in lieu of snail feet Smith.
    This.


    People that claim that Smith is a "good back up", name me ONE big, game changing play on defense by Eric Smith in all of his years here.

    He's absolute garbage at safety......And his special teams play does not make up for a valuable roster spot IMO

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    only safety with multiple years experience in the system. id be shocked if he got cut. i honestly think him and bell will be the starters with landry rotating in as a blitzer and 46 safety in order to limit his reps and keep him healthy.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post
    only safety with multiple years experience in the system. id be shocked if he got cut. i honestly think him and bell will be the starters with landry rotating in as a blitzer and 46 safety in order to limit his reps and keep him healthy.
    WHat does multiple years of experience matter when you simply can't play?

    I'm sick of watching Brent f'n Celek and the like burn this scrub 3rd down after 3rd down.....ERIC SMITH IS NOT AN NFL SAFETY

  11. #31
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post

    I believe next year his contract would allow the Jets to cut him.
    He's actually 100% cuttable this season.

    But like others have said, he won't be.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    no need to cut him. He's valuable on specials and when used to stack the box. Those are his strengths and what he's good at. The depth we have allows us to work to his strengths and not be forced to expose his weaknesses.

    You all want him cut based on his role last year. Reality is, he's a hard hitter and valuable in certain situations.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,183
    Post Thanks / Like


    Watch this clip and pause and go, pause and go and see how horrible Smith is on this. He has the angle, is close and still unbelievably gets beat in a matter of 3 steps.

  14. #34
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    no need to cut him. He's valuable on specials and when used to stack the box. Those are his strengths and what he's good at. The depth we have allows us to work to his strengths and not be forced to expose his weaknesses.

    You all want him cut based on his role last year. Reality is, he's a hard hitter and valuable in certain situations.
    Except when Tebow is running towards him.

    Maybe that's why the Jets traded for Tebow. So E. Smith wouldn't have to face Tebow at jax.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    everyone bashes the dude but he played last year with a torn meniscus (and was the team's leading tackler) after losing Jim Leonard they had to play Smith. but really he should have never been put in that situation. This year as a 3rd safety and special teams ace, he's fine.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post


    Watch this clip and pause and go, pause and go and see how horrible Smith is on this. He has the angle, is close and still unbelievably gets beat in a matter of 3 steps.
    again, torn knee. He was operated on after the season. It didn't get a ton of press but Eric Smith is way better than he played on xmas eve. He was out there toughing it out.

    The real culprit on that play btw was Cro and Kyle Wilson BOTH missing tackles.

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Except when Tebow is running towards him.

    Maybe that's why the Jets traded for Tebow. So E. Smith wouldn't have to face Tebow at jax.
    Reality is, Tebow was doing that to teams all year long. E. Smith wasn't unique in finding himself in that situation.

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    This.


    People that claim that Smith is a "good back up", name me ONE big, game changing play on defense by Eric Smith in all of his years here.

    He's absolute garbage at safety......And his special teams play does not make up for a valuable roster spot IMO
    Come on bro, you had to be watching the 2010 AFC Divisional playoffs when Smith knocked the decal off Welker's helmet he hit him so hard. Our D shut down the Pats vaunted O without Leonard. This is a silly thread
    Last edited by suprjet; 07-31-2012 at 12:07 PM.

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    Reality is, Tebow was doing that to teams all year long. E. Smith wasn't unique in finding himself in that situation.


    That was the worst play I've ever seen.....Given the situation

    Tebow runs over Smith, OK I'm fine with that, but the pathetic angle/ non-existent change of direction speed is/was really unbelivable

    Hey, I'm fine with keeping Eric Smith, just as long as its not at the expense of any young, talented DB......Throw him on specials and THAT'S IT

    He is a trash safety......All of you defenders of EMith, I ask you: Out of all of the snaps he played on defense over the years, name me ONE game-changing play.....JUST ONE

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Come on bro, you had to be watching the 2010 AFC Divisional playoffs when Smith knocked the decal off Welker's helmet he hit him so hard. Our D shut down the Pats vaunted O. This is a silly thread
    I already had that in my original post man.....it's not a game changing play

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us