Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Eric Smith get Cut??

Will Eric Smith get Cut??

With Bell, Landry, and rookies Allen and Bush looking good so far, I don't see why not.....

Yeah he's good on special teams, but Antonio Allen or Josh Bush or one of our linebackers cannot be that much worse than Mr. Molasses himself on specials.....It's not like he's a demon or anything, just solid

On defense, I simply cannot stand to watch him anymore, not 1 snap.....He is slower than most linebackers, period. Unacceptable.

I cannot remember ONE game-changing play in Eric Smith's career aside from almost killing Anquan Boldin and headhunting Wes Welker

Please send this scrub the way of Matthew Mulligan

Hopefully.

One of the most putrid Safeties I have ever seen in my life and I've lived thru scrubs like Sam Garnes, Scott Frost, Jon McGraw and Jimmy Leonard. How this clown has managed to even be in the NFL for this long let alone get a multi-million dollar deal and even a starting gig is a joke of an enigma that will perplex people for ages.

Bewildered Beast
    Won't he just become a ST ace?

Vincenzo, you are so predictable.

All Pro
    I don't know his contract situation. I know Rex loves him. I know he's the only safety on the team that really knows the defense. I hope Bush can really pick it up. It would be nice to have a true free safety at least on passing downs, and could make cutting Smith more feasible. I know it's encouraging to see Landry out on the field making plays, but he's not out of the woods injury wise. I afraid we'll need to keep 5 safeties just in case.

With one very injury-prone and two unproven safeties, I don't see how Smith can be let go.

Smith won't be cut. If Bell goes down to injury, Smith's knowledge of the playbook and the defensive calls will be needed. Bell and Landry are the starters, and Smith is limited to a rotational role.

He's also valuable to Westy's STs.

I believe next year his contract would allow the Jets to cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I've lived thru scrubs like Sam Garnes, Scott Frost, Jon McGraw and Jimmy Leonard.

Leonard was a "scrub"? That's pretty harsh, and IMO inaccurate.

Veteran
    Unfortunately, probably not, as the athletic safety is clearly of low value in Rex's scheme, and Smith knows the playbook well. You can't really argue that he sees value in athleticism in the position anymore, because he cut Kerry Rhodes. The excuse was Rhodes was a diva, but with the massive contract handed out to Santonio Holmes, or to stay apples to apples, look at the drafting of athletic Demario Davis or Quinton Coples. I would think the roster spot risk is minimal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Eric Smith is a good back up safety and special teams guy. You dont bring guys like ronnie lott off the bench. relax.

Nah, doubt it.

My surprise cut would be McKnight

If he is cut, we need to bring Leonhard back for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Nah, doubt it.

My surprise cut would be McKnight
    Zero chance. He lead the NFL in kickoff return average last year. Plus he is a solid replacement for LT as our 3rd down back.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Zero chance. He lead the NFL in kickoff return average last year. Plus he is a solid replacement for LT as our 3rd down back.
    We always find a KR...and if Powell beats out McKnight...its a possibility imo...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    If he is cut, we need to bring Leonhard back for cheap.
    wouldnt mind this here.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Unfortunately, probably not, as the athletic safety is clearly of low value in Rex's scheme, and Smith knows the playbook well. You can't really argue that he sees value in athleticism in the position anymore, because he cut Kerry Rhodes. The excuse was Rhodes was a diva, but with the massive contract handed out to Santonio Holmes, or to stay apples to apples, look at the drafting of athletic Demario Davis or Quinton Coples. I would think the roster spot risk is minimal.
    Maybe it was because he couldn't/wouldn't tackle. Just a guess.

No way...

And Smith not as a starter is very valuable to the team.

Veteran
    smith brings stability to the safety position, even if he's not great. my biggest concern in the secondary would be the safeties not knowing the defense well enough and making the wrong calls.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I'm not sure where you get this from. As far as I know he can't pass protect, and LT was still in there on his last legs, because there was no one else to do the job.

Brady, Fitzpatrick and all the other QB's on our schedule sure as hell hope not. Smith is just about the worst starter at any position in the NFL. If the Jets are counting on him to make defensive calls, then we've got much bigger problems than we thought.

Let's see..... He's slow, use to hit like a truck, but he's smart. He's here to stay!!! Rex loves this guy.