Revis: I had every right to hold out

By BRIAN COSTELLO

4:05 AM, July 31, 2012

CORTLAND — Darrelle Revis gave his clearest answer about what the Jets told the cornerback two years ago about his contract situation.

Appearing on ESPN Radio, Revis told hosts Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco that the Jets told him specifically that the four-year, $46 million he agreed to in 2010 would be redone in 2012.

“It was after year two,” said Revis, who participated fully in practice yesterday after missing the majority of Sunday’s practice with a “little tightness” in his right hamstring.

Revis has said he believed the contract was a “Band-Aid,” meaning it would be renegotiated before it was through. But he had not said definitively that he was told it would be after two years.

The All-Pro cornerback contemplated holding out, but reported to training camp on time. Asked if he was told by the Jets in 2010 that after a couple of years the situation would be revisited, Revis said, “They did.”

He was asked if a holdout would have been justified. “Yes,” he said.

The Jets are likely to give Revis a new deal before next season, the final of the contract.

First-round draft pick Quinton Coples has looked a little confused at times during the first few days of training camp.

The coaches are not concerned, saying it’s to be expected early in training camp. The Jets drafted Coples, a defensive lineman, with the 16th pick overall in April.

“It happens to most rookies, they start to feel comfortable, like ‘I got this.’ This is the NFL. Usually those guys have to be humbled a little bit,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. “I just think the one day he struggled mentally lining up. That’s kind of a natural progression. Get him out there, let him realize it is a little overwhelming and scale it back a little bit for him.”

The Jets have been keeping Coples out of alignments with three-man fronts. Pettine said Coples is more comfortable in the four-man packages. Pettine said the Jets don’t expect Coples to play in every set.

“The plan with Muhammad [Wilkerson] as a rookie was never to play him every snap and he didn’t,” Pettine said. “The plan with Quinton is not to play him every snap. To me, if we’re solid on first and second down, we’ll rotate him in there. But to me where we feel he’s special is third down.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan said the team may implement a timing device in practice to get their quarterbacks to throw the ball quicker. Ryan said Tim Tebow, in particular, needs to stop holding on to the ball.

The Jets used a buzzer at times last season in practice to ensure Mark Sanchez got rid of the ball quickly.

Ryan is concerned about all of the soft-tissue injuries the Jets have suffered. The team has had a rash of hamstring injuries. He is adding 10 minutes to their pre-practice stretch, making it 20 minutes now. … Cornerback Antonio Cromartie took one snap at wide receiver during team drills. He ran a deep route but did not get the ball.

Only 1,820 fans showed up for yesterday’s practice, down from 2,835 the day before. … Tackle Jeff Otah must pass his physical today or last week’s trade with the Panthers will be nullified. … Demario Davis, Jordan White and Terrence Campbell were all removed from the active/PUP list. They will be able to practice tomorrow. … The Jets have their first day off of training camp today.

brian.costello@nypost.com