Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg at it again (Or is he?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Yes.

I think they follow the Law about employment descrimination, generally (as generally any big company).

Agreed.

Agreed.

Nothign wrong with describing it as it is tho, intolerence of a religious beleif, and intolerence towards any disagreement with how they see things.

In short, exactly what they claim the right does to them. Ironic.

Promoting, yes.

Banning alternatives, no.

If thats the case here, no worries.
    Agreed with everything you said.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Agreed with everything you said.
    I am disturbed by our recent similar-mindedness.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am disturbed by our recent similar-mindedness.

In all honesty, I think there are many more similarities than differences in our viewpoints. First and foremost, we both see past the R vs. D partisan stranglehold plaguing our country.

Personally, I've come a long way in the past six years on this forum. Politically speaking, is there any other period of a person's life where views change more radically than his/her 20's?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I respect Chick-fil-A's right to have their policy and opinion as long as it's legal. I don't respect the disgusting message they send to the gay community.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, I think there are many more similarities than differences in our viewpoints. First and foremost, we both see past the R vs. D partisan stranglehold plaguing our country.

Personally, I've come a long way in the past six years on this forum. Politically speaking, is there any other period of a person's life where views change more radically than his/her 20's?
    Wait til you get to your 30's.

You married? Have kids?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    I respect Chick-fil-A's right to have their policy and opinion as long as it's legal. I don't respect the disgusting message they send to the gay community.
    I really don't find greasy chicken all that disgusting

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Aye. You should have seen me years ago (late 20's) on one of the older iterations of this board. You'd have thought I was IntelligentJetsFan.

But I agree, you and I (and Tater too) all seem to be somewhat of a like mind, in general terms, and all somewhat outside the two-party system in our preferences. If not all Libertarians, at least leaning to some degree in that direction.

I don't respect the disgusting message they send to the gay community.
    As a Libertarian and proponent of true equallity under the Law, I agree. A civil contract (which is what Marriage is to the State) should not take into account the gender of the two contractees.

With that said, I fully support the rights of the Chick-Fil-A CEO to hold his own, personal, opinions on the right/wrong of Homosexuallity.

The aforementioned irony is that by demanding everyone agree with and support the gay marriage agenda, you're doing and engaging in exactly the same kind of intolerence the Chick-Fil-A guy is doing. If he is disgusting, so is anyone who demands he must change his view or else suffer attack, criticism or economic warfare/protest.

Why can we not live in a world where this CEO can believe what he wants, and others can believe what they want, and both sides can simply let the other alone?
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-31-2012 at 01:38 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Wait til you get to your 30's.

You married? Have kids?
    Married, no kids.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But I agree, you and I (and Tater too) all seem to be somewhat of a like mind, in general terms, and all somewhat outside the two-party system in our preferences.
    I would put about 6 or 7 forum members in this category. The rest are partisan shills.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why, are they selling 20oz sodas?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aye. You should have seen me years ago (late 20's) on one of the older iterations of this board. You'd have thought I was IntelligentJetsFan.

But I agree, you and I (and Tater too) all seem to be somewhat of a like mind, in general terms, and all somewhat outside the two-party system in our preferences. If not all Libertarians, at least leaning to some degree in that direction.

As a Libertarian and proponent of true equallity under the Law, I agree. A civil contract (which is what Marriage is to the State) should not take into account the gender of the two contractees.

With that said, I fully support the rights of the Chick-Fil-A CEO to hold his own, personal, opinions on the right/wrong of Homosexuallity.

The aforementioned irony is that by demanding everyone agree with and support the gay marriage agenda, you're doing and engaging in exactly the same kind of intolerence the Chick-Fil-A guy is doing. If he is disgusting, so is anyone who demands he must change his view or else suffer attack, criticism or economic warfare/protest.

Why can we not live in a world where this CEO can believe what he wants, and others can believe what they want, and both sides can simply let the other alone?
    Let me clarify. On a legal, by-the-book level, I completely support Chick-fil-A exercising its right to be antigay. On a personal, moral level, it disgusts me. I get what you're saying about that being an ironic statement, but I'm trying to separate my personal beliefs from what the law actually says.

The beauty is that I don't have to support Chick-fil-A or buy any food from them. And it's just as legal for me to call them out and protest against them (which I don't care enough to actually do) as it is for them to hold their antigay stances publicly.

I think we are in complete agreement actually - except for you wanting Chick-fil-A to be left alone. They deserve all the **** that comes their way from politicians, protestors, etc. -IMO of course. You're more live and let live.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Married, no kids.
    If and when you have them, I suspect you'll have another shift on some issues, at least to some degree. Happened to me.

Was reading something interesting lately also about men in their even later years, whose outlook changes even further and how it may be explained by their decrease in testosterone levels. Will try to find a link if anyone has any interest.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me clarify. On a legal, by-the-book level, I completely support Chick-fil-A exercising its right to be antigay. On a personal, moral level, it disgusts me. I get what you're saying about that being an ironic statement, but I'm trying to separate my personal beliefs from what the law actually says.
    Indeed.

But you said "**** Chik-Fil-A". Meaning **** the company (the legal entity that sells yummy chicken), and not just **** the CEO for his personal beleifs.

You see the issue? Yu want to seperate the Law (which Chik-Fil-A follows) from the owners beleifs (which we both disagree with).

But instead of ignoring the company and focusing on what the CEO beleives personally, you (and in fairness many many others) are strikign at, verbally and economicly, the Yummy Chicken Company.

Worse, for those of a liberal slant, is that what the CEO said is exactly what the PResident of the USA, Mr. Obama, says he ALSO believed in until very very recently.

I do not recall any such vitriol against the President from these folks then. So why, if the beleifs are the same, the vitriol against not just the CEO but also his entire company, now?

Why the lack of consistency?

I think we are in complete agreement actually - except for you wanting Chick-fil-A to be left alone. They deserve all the **** that comes their way from politicians, protestors, etc. -IMO of course. You're more live and let live.
    Indeed, if peopel feel strongly, they can do as they wish, include protest and boycott. I absolutely support that.

But it's harder to support when it is so inconsistent.

No one protested and boycotted the President for holding the same beleifs for the same reasons. And certainly no one boycotted the things Obama was a part of (or CEO of if you will), like the (D) party, did they?

I think we should all be aware enought o seperate the personal beliefs of a CEO, even if he donates to certain causes, and the company itself.

Eating Chik-Fil-A doesn't hurt gays or make you a homphobe, anymore than my own love of far-left liberal muscians does not make me a Communist who supports the Palestinians cause (as my two most favorite artists strongly support).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    If and when you have them, I suspect you'll have another shift on some issues, at least to some degree. Happened to me.
    Agreed.

Personally, a move from the east coast to Colorado definitely initiated a shift. It was an eye opener in terms of cultural and sociological differences, and it also highlighted the importance of localized governance to best suit a local population.

A change of scenery is cliche, but in my case, it proved to be critical in seeing the world from another perspective.

Was reading something interesting lately also about men in their even later years, whose outlook changes even further and how it may be explained by their decrease in testosterone levels. Will try to find a link if anyone has any interest.
    It makes sense. Hormones control so many different aspects of the human body. I don't see why mental viewpoints and perspectives would be excluded from this process.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Mikey is beginniong to think he's the King.
    First, (at least lately) he initiates a ban on large size soft drinks.
    Then, he along with others threatens to bar Chick[fil-A from NYC because their pres doesn't embrace gay marriage.
    Now, (saw yesterday), he wants to ban baby formula. Mothers should only breast feed he says. It's healthier. So much for a woman's choice.
    I'm confused. I haven't followed much about this so I just Googled "Bloomberg" and "Chick fil-A" and this is one of the first links to pop up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/ny...propriate.html

The title is "Mayor Says Banning Chick Fil-A is Wrong"

Do you have a link that contradicts this one or did you just make it up?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm confused. I haven't followed much about this so I just Googled "Bloomberg" and "Chick fil-A" and this is one of the first links to pop up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/ny...propriate.html

The title is "Mayor Says Banning Chick Fil-A is Wrong"

Do you have a link that contradicts this one or did you just make it up?
    Bloomburg would only ban them if they sell 20oz Soda.

In all seriousness, I don't think Bloomy said that. It was teh Mayor of Chicago, Boston and Washongton DC, plus one other I forget, who all made mention of Banning Fil-A from their Cities in one form or another.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Bloomburg would only ban them if they sell 20oz Soda.

In all seriousness, I don't think Bloomy said that. It was teh Mayor of Chicago, Boston and Washongton DC, plus one other I forget, who all made mention of Banning Fil-A from their Cities in one form or another.
    You would be correct. And you would know that from your abililty to read....and your willingness to engage that ability. Not everyone is so inclined.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Do you have a link that contradicts this one...?
    Here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1123274

Mayor Bloomberg said New York would welcome Chick-fil-A with open arms despite the chain’s anti-gay marriage stance — while other big-city mayors warn the chain to stay away.

“It’s just not government’s job, and no matter how much you dislike somebody else’s views, think about what would happen in the cities where the views are on the other side,” Bloomberg said Friday on WOR radio’s “John Gambling Show.”
    See? He's very anti-Fil-A.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious ... why the sudden outrage over Chick-fil-A? I'm quite certain there are a fair number of corporate CEO's out there with anti-gay marriage views and donations to pro-traditional family organizations.

This seems like some sort of act of collusion to me. The most ironic part is sales will most likely go UP for Chick-fil-A because of these schenanigans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

Personally, a move from the east coast to Colorado definitely initiated a shift. It was an eye opener in terms of cultural and sociological differences, and it also highlighted the importance of localized governance to best suit a local population.

A change of scenery is cliche, but in my case, it proved to be critical in seeing the world from another perspective.
    Ah, yes, I also experienced this a couple of times. Have lived in the mid-west, Manhattan, and now the Jersey burbs. Sometimes I'm still shocked at the cultural differences based on location alone with the same nation. I don't think you can really grasp it until you've lived in it.

It makes sense. Hormones control so many different aspects of the human body. I don't see why mental viewpoints and perspectives would be excluded from this process.
    I was going to make a joke (but is it really?) about the differences in male-female voting trends, but my wife will probably read this, and I have a big weekend planned