Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets recind Otah trade

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I disagree.

There will be several RT's/OLinemen that will be released as teams get down to the 53-man rosters.

Jets don't need an All-Pro RT to be successful, all they need is an upgrade over Hunter who can play consistently.

The Jets starting RT this year is not on the current roster yet.
    Disagree - Hunter will be the starting RT for the Jets, absent injury. Whilst decent lineman sometimes shake out in the last round of cuts, I highly doubt the Jets will find someone that will be of starting quality.

For better or for worse, the Jets will likely be starting the season with Hunter at RT. JMO, he'll be better than last year. Good enough to not be a real liability? One can only hope.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Of course it is. But we shouldn't be going into the season having to help our RT on every play. That is not how a team should be built. If something happens during the season then that would be OK to adjust. But to build an offense around having to help your RT, when you had ample opportunity to upgrade, is a disgrace.

I know I am assuming Hunter will suck. But there is plenty of evidence to support that.
    Agreed. It would be awesome to have amazing talent at every position, but we all know that is unrealistic. If the other 4 pieces of the line perform up to par, providing help to Hunter on somewhat of a regular basis would be productive for this style of offense. Besides, if you listen to the "experts", we have no talent anyway, so why not let these talentless FBs and TEs stay in to block.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think anyone expects to have All Pros at every position. But I do expect to be competitive at every position. IMO, Hunter is the worst starting RT in the NFL. I expect the Jets not to field the worst player at any position. Hopefully, everyone else has a great year and that helps masks the futility at RT.

Banned
    Hunter did a stout job during the 2010 postseason. As a first year starter, he didn't know what to expect, he was learning (and making plenty of mistakes) on the fly. Here's to Hunter being 'that much better' due to experience gained due to playing time last season. Hopefully as a second year starter, he'll return to his postseason form of 2010. Wishful thinking.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but you have to remember the team has had an entire offseason to look at tape and determine Wayne's flaws along with what were overall strategic flaws (ie leaving him on a island certain plays, etc). Having a full offseason not only gives the team time to really evaluate Hunter's weaknesses but also to help coach him up for this season. Hell if they can made Ducasse look halfway useful as he has been so far then I have faith they can squeeze some decent play out of Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    Crappy news.

Of all my concerns heading into the year (pass rush, safety play, WR corp) the biggest--RT--still seems like it's the only one that hasn't been addressed.

I don't think hoping Hunter gets better is a great strategy, but I also hope I'm wrong.

_

Mario Williams alone might beat us when we play the Bills this year. How can you not address your weakest position during the offseason?

Didn't seem like he wanted to be here anyway. Can't get a word out of the guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Sonuvaaaaaaaaaaaa our O Line is going to BLOW again.
    WOW! You must have insider information to be so positive! Or you must possess much skill in judging NFL players ability. If you do, why not apply for Mr.T's job? The Jets need you and your uncanny ability to judge talent and know what the future holds.

Mario Williams, LaMar Woodley, and Cameron Wake the first 3 games of the year. We r screwed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I know this won't be a popular opinion, but you have to remember the team has had an entire offseason to look at tape and determine Wayne's flaws along with what were overall strategic flaws (ie leaving him on a island certain plays, etc). Having a full offseason not only gives the team time to really evaluate Hunter's weaknesses but also to help coach him up for this season. Hell if they can made Ducasse look halfway useful as he has been so far then I have faith they can squeeze some decent play out of Hunter.
    You are much too rational for some of the pundits here!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Hunter did a stout job during the 2010 postseason. As a first year starter, he didn't know what to expect, he was learning (and making plenty of mistakes) on the fly. Here's to Hunter being 'that much better' due to experience gained due to playing time last season. Hopefully as a second year starter, he'll return to his postseason form of 2010. Wishful thinking.
    Great post! I would like to add that the entire OL was dysfunctional last year. BRICK allowed as many sacks as Hunter did! In fact the Dolphins ate him alive in the last game! Moore was not himself early as he recovered from his operation. Nick was injured and it took time for him to get back to his all-pro form. Slauson played in a shoulder harness most of last year! Yet all the negative nellies can do is dump on Hunter without mentioning the rest of the OL dysfunction. Even they can do better!

The real crap is that not a single OLman was able to call line plays when NICK went down! That is terrible and contributed to the poor performance of our OL last year!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    WOW! You must have insider information to be so positive! Or you must possess much skill in judging NFL players ability. If you do, why not apply for Mr.T's job? The Jets need you and your uncanny ability to judge talent and know what the future holds.

All League
    Over under 2 qb's on ir this season with hunter starting this season?

I'm going over...matt simms, get ready

Veteran
    This is clearly why we drafted Tebow. We're dead on the right.

Mike Tannenbaum leaves Jets' options open at right tackle

By Jenny Vrentas

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Jeff Otah is on his way back to Carolina, and general manager Mike Tannenbaum doesn't sound like he's done addressing the right tackle position.

The Jets traded for Otah, a former first-rounder, to compete with Wayne Hunter. But Otah failed his physical, and Tannenbaum does not appear to be sold on standing pat with Hunter.

"He is our starting right tackle, until that changes," Tannenbaum said.

Huh? Tannenbaum scrambled, adding that Hunter has the "inside track" for the job and saying that he is "confident" in him. But...

"He didn’t play well last year. I think we have all acknowledged that,"

Tannenbaum said. "Again, I think it is reasonable to think he can play better and we can win with him. We have in the past. With that said, if there's opportunities at any position, we're going to look to add players. But he certainly has the inside track to be our right tackle."

To translate, it sounds like the Jets will look to add a tackle once cuts are made by other teams. He said they have identified other teams with good depth. He also mentioned Austin Howard, whom the Jets signed off the Ravens' practice squad in November.

Tannenbaum said no moves are "imminent" at right tackle.

Members of the Jets coaching staff, offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo in particular, have publicly shared their support for Hunter. DeGuglielmo went so far as to say that Hunter is the starting right tackle "until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office."

Tannenbaum did not express the same level of confidence, though he did praise Hunter for the way he filled in for Damien Woody in road playoff games in the 2010 season. He also pointed to the four-year extension the team gave Hunter last July.

"His 'A' game is more than good enough to win with," Tannenbaum said, pointing out that Hunter needs to be more consistent.

Hunter is due a fully guaranteed $2.45 million salary this season, so it would not make sense for the team to cut him. The Jets are having 2010 second-round pick Vlad Ducasse compete with Matt Slauson at left guard, rather than right tackle, because that is his best position, Tannenbaum said.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...s_jets_op.html

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    If Jeff Otah passed physical, but Jets cut him 3 wks later, they would've forfeited 7th rd pick, but wouldn't have to pay him anything

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Draw a U over the O and sell it as a Utah jersey on Ebay.
    I was going to suggest amending it to "OTAH-HERE"

More O-line uncertainty

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- More fallout from the Jeff Otah no-go: the Jets are having Matt Slauson, who has held the starting left guard spot for two seasons, compete with Vlad Ducasse to keep his job.

GM Mike Tannenbaum noted that third-year player Austin Howard, who lost at least 20 pounds between the Jets June minicamp and training camp, could emerge as a viable piece in the reworked line.

But a more likely possibility is that the Jets shop to improve the line and look for current players to add depth that was sorely lacking last season, when rookie Colin Baxter awkwardly stepped in for the two games starting center Nick Mangold missed with a high ankle sprain.

“We’re always going to look to improve the team,” Tannenbaum said. “I think if we’re having this conversation a month from now there’ll be players on our team that aren’t here, regardless of maybe being on the streets or being with another team [now].”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Best option at this point is to bring in former probowler Marcus McNeill. An injury risk?yes. But so was Otah