Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Jets will retire Dennis Byrd's No. 90 on Oct 28 vs. Dolphins

  1. #1

    Jets will retire Dennis Byrd's No. 90 on Oct 28 vs. Dolphins

    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Jets will retire Dennis Byrd's No. 90 on Oct 28 vs. Dolphins

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,183
    Pathetic that it took this long.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    That's the home game am I attending this year. What a great moment that will be.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    The first season I started going to games was the season he was injured. Then the opener the following season I got to meet him oustsde the stadium!

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,737
    Long overdue.

  7. #7
    Why the sudden retiring of jerseys? This should have been done years ago.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Why the sudden retiring of jerseys? This should have been done years ago.
    Retiring Byrd's can justify not giving Coples #90....

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,139
    20th anniversary of the injury is 11/29/12..

  10. #10
    To this day I believe that Jim Kelly threw the pick that iced the game on purpose
    that week after in Buffalo.
    Bills fans were awesome with their signs ect. with well wishes for Dennis.
    Bills were so good Jets were no threat to them.

    Who remember who Kelly threw the pick to?

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    To this day I believe that Jim Kelly threw the pick that iced the game on purpose
    that week after in Buffalo.
    Bills fans were awesome with their signs ect. with well wishes for Dennis.
    Bills were so good Jets were no threat to them.

    Who remember who Kelly threw the pick to?
    without looking it up, I want to say Brian Washington..


    EDIT: looked it up - Brian Washington. 23 yard INT return for a TD
    Last edited by shuler82; 07-31-2012 at 04:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    About damn time...

    Congrats to Byrd for being a true warrior in life, as a person.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    About damn time...

    Congrats to Byrd for being a true warrior in life, as a person.
    as opposed to?

    weren't you a dolphins fan back then?

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,786
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    About damn time...

    Congrats to Byrd for being a true warrior in life, as a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    as opposed to?

    weren't you a dolphins fan back then?
    Thank you. Phucking ponderous.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    To this day I believe that Jim Kelly threw the pick that iced the game on purpose
    that week after in Buffalo.
    Bills fans were awesome with their signs ect. with well wishes for Dennis.
    Bills were so good Jets were no threat to them.

    Who remember who Kelly threw the pick to?
    As much as I hate to admit it, I had that thought in the back of my head from the moment it happened. Supressed the thought because it was a great moment. Glad to see someone else had the same thought.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Why the sudden retiring of jerseys? This should have been done years ago.
    New ownership.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    To this day I believe that Jim Kelly threw the pick that iced the game on purpose
    that week after in Buffalo.
    Bills fans were awesome with their signs ect. with well wishes for Dennis.
    Bills were so good Jets were no threat to them.

    Who remember who Kelly threw the pick to?
    I've respected the Bills since then. They were beyond classy. I don't know if it was on purpose cause Kelly was a pro and so was that team and I doubt they'd want to lose on purpose as professionals. That team had a lot of competitive guys and guys who went for the neck. They were ruthless competitors and getting to all those superbowls were no small task. They had that Giants game but after that they ran into some juggernauts. Those Cowboys teams would be a favorite in my book to beat any team in NFL history even the 85 bears. Bills showed a lot of class that week and I still respect them for it.

    As for Dennis's jersey not being retired ... I don't know why the hell I thought it was already retired. That's crazy ... I can't be the only one who thought this.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, I had that thought in the back of my head from the moment it happened. Supressed the thought because it was a great moment. Glad to see someone else had the same thought.
    I watched the game and remember this happening. I dont remember the pick... can you fill in some of the rest of us regarding the pick. Those were the DARK years. I would be working outside and coming in every 10 minutes to see how badly the JETS were getting beat. I also had young kids back then....

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I watched the game and remember this happening. I dont remember the pick... can you fill in some of the rest of us regarding the pick. Those were the DARK years. I would be working outside and coming in every 10 minutes to see how badly the JETS were getting beat. I also had young kids back then....
    It was a cold and dark day (at least that is what it looked like on TV). Jets offense was in slow motion that day. Bills were deep in own terriotiory and Kelly threw a pass right to Washington. Brian jumped a little, caught in his gut and ran for a TD to ice the game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us