Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mehta: Jets expect a 'monster season' from Shonn Greene in 2012

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backs have it or they don't, somebody better step up or we are in trouble.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Same here.
    Perfect. Concise...economic posting.

But then of course....

Here come teh statsz

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    As a 3rd year player/1st year starter, behind an awful offensive line, Greene still rushed for over 1,000 yards. Greene was only 37 rushing yards away from cracking the top 10 in regards to rushing yards. Greene was only 12 rushing first downs away from cracking the top 5 in that regard. His 4.2 average yards per rushing attempt is very impressive, especially considering the fact that he was rushing behind a depleted (struggling) offensive line.

With Tony Sparano being the type of coach who loves to establish a physical rushing attack in order to set up a vertical passing game... Look for Shonn Greene to become 'Sparano's #1 back'. Expecting Shonn Greene to crack the top 8 in both rushing yards and rushing 1st down.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    im saying:

1335 yards
    11 TDs
    I could see 1200 yards if they want to run more. Lower TD total though since Tebow is going to vulture those up with qb goaline sneaks

The line is healthier than last year but no better. And anyone who says Vlad is stepping up should just quit the Internet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another problem for Greene is that he will complete only his 4th year in the league and will be 27 years old. He will be 28 at the start of next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OUR RUN BLOCKING WAS GOOD LAST YEAR

I hope that Greene plays a lot better this year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    OUR RUN BLOCKING WAS GOOD LAST YEAR
    ... ...

(i can give you - it didn't s*ck as much as the pass blocking)

... if greene is going to get 300 carries 1350 yards and 11 td's - sign me up for that! ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-31-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get more wood out of this than as a Jet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9UVHTamf6w

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... ...

(i can give you - it didn't s*ck as much as the pass blocking)

... if greene is going to get 300 carries 1350 yards and 11 td's - sign me up for that! ...

l_j_r

Greene and LT left yards on the field last year. A bad run blocking line leads to the back getting stopped in the backfield or at the LOS. That didn't happen.

A good back is going to get yards on the 2nd level and in the open field, that didn't happen either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    im saying:

1335 yards
    11 TDs
    I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

... well supported , nice reply ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the green hate. He's already better than Thomas jones ever was. He's the least of worries.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Time for Greene to be consistently good this year. He can look great for a few games then not good for more. If he doesn't have a great year this year the team will be looking to replace him next year for sure.
    He has the ability and remains potent particularly at theend of games as a closer. But like you said consistency is key, and he has to be able to pull out those long gainers from time to time. Apparently his catching ability has showed some improvement in TC as well and its important that he be a multiple threat rather than a one trick pony.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I don't get the green hate. He's already better than Thomas jones ever was. He's the least of worries.
    TJ holds the Jet record for most yds in a reg season game and most td's in a season..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Okay that's just retarded.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene haters, what do you want? He averaged 4.2 yards per carry. He didn't lose a fumble (in fact, just one ball put on the ground the whole season -- Peterson was the only other back with at least 200 carries to not lose a fumble). That's what you want for a ground and pound. Maybe he isn't the biggest home run hitter, but really, if you play ball control offense, you don't really need that type of runner.

The Jets ran just 443 times last season, expect a bump to at least 550 -- probably more. Say Greene gets 285 carries and averages 4.3 yards per carry (all realistic), he would finish with 1,225 yards. That would probably put him top 7. Is that not enough?

If Greene sucks this year the Jets go get a new RB. One that will lead the league in rushing each year, like some of you seem to expect.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    He calls last years offensive line awful, which it was. Yet we still have the same offensive line and he always talks about how they will dominate this year.

I really hope they are better. But will the OC alone make this a reality? I really think we are doomed with Hunter. One bad lineman can totally screw the entire unit. Hunter is going to kill the team this year if he doesn't figure it out.
    I'm with you 100% on this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    How many times were we promised "monster seasons" out of various players who fell waaaaay short since Rex and his staff have been here?

Unless the term "monster" means "wasteful" to these guys, I'm not taking them for their word until I see it on the field.
    100% on the money! Rex and staff need to shut up and produce after such a disaster last season after promising so much success. You cant boast and brag and then self destruct admitting you had no clue what was going on in the locker room............

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think the Jets *have* to have a monster year from him or some combo of backs or this "ground and pound" stuff is going to fall flat on its face. They have to believe that the ground game is going to be a major component. That's pretty obvious unless it's all a ruse and the Jets come out throwing 50 times a game (doubtful). This article isn't exactly earth-shattering.