Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Aaron Maybin Contract?

  1. #1

    Aaron Maybin Contract?

    Does anyone know Aaron Maybin contract? He's the only player on the Jets I like (except for Mangold & Harris). Thinking about getting his jersey.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,114
    He is currently working on a one-year deal. The Jets gave him a first-round tender.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is currently working on a one-year deal. The Jets gave him a first-round tender.
    balls...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    balls...
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

    If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

    If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)
    agree with everything except for Cro.. By the numbers, he's performing as one of the top 5-10 CBs in the game.. unless Kyle Wilson finally shows up, I dont see the Jets letting Cro walk.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,369
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    agree with everything except for Cro.. By the numbers, he's performing as one of the top 5-10 CBs in the game.. unless Kyle Wilson finally shows up, I dont see the Jets letting Cro walk.
    They might not have a choice after Revis gets his 7 year 120 million dollar deal. They may be forced to go with Revis and Wilson.

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,282
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

    If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)
    Cro has one more major cap hit in 13' - after that, he's cuttable. Next year, he's not.

    Maybin's contract potential has a huge range, based on what he does this year. If he becomes the 10+ sack guy we hope he does, I would not be surprised if we end up franchising him. Whilst its a good problem to have, I'm not sure the team is budgeted for a mega deal at LB right now.

  8. #8
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY
    Posts
    494
    Jets have to keep Revis and Cro IMO. Otherwise it's 2009 and Lito Sheppard all over again. For our style of man-to-man defense we have to have two top-tier corners.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,282
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    Jets have to keep Revis and Cro IMO. Otherwise it's 2009 and Lito Sheppard all over again. For our style of man-to-man defense we have to have two top-tier corners.
    If Lankster and Wilson develop over the next two years, I would love to see those guys become the #2/3 CBs and say buh-bye to Cro. Not that I disslike Cro, its simply not sound allocation of cap dollars to have two CBs so highly paid. Even with our reliance on CBs, you like to have your #2 CB with a more modest of a salary. We are paying #1 CB money to both of them right now (for the most part).

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,319
    You couldn't have just Googled this?

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

    If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)
    I think Revis' next contract is going to be tied to Sanchez' success or should be, IMO. I know it sounds crazy but if Sanchez doesn't progress and we don't have a QB then it is retarded to pay a CB $16-18 million a year. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't do it.

    If Maybin comes out strong, maybe the Jets looks to extend him in the middle of the season. I don't know if Tanny has a history of doing that. but if they think he is going to have a huge year (12-15 sacks) AND become a 3 down player they might want to consider it to try and save money. Although I do not think the market will be big for Maybin unless he shows he is more than a situation pass rusher.

    This year is going to be interesting.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Revis' next contract is going to be tied to Sanchez' success or should be, IMO. I know it sounds crazy but if Sanchez doesn't progress and we don't have a QB then it is retarded to pay a CB $16-18 million a year. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't do it.

    If Maybin comes out strong, maybe the Jets looks to extend him in the middle of the season. I don't know if Tanny has a history of doing that. but if they think he is going to have a huge year (12-15 sacks) AND become a 3 down player they might want to consider it to try and save money. Although I do not think the market will be big for Maybin unless he shows he is more than a situation pass rusher.

    This year is going to be interesting.
    Agree that Sanchez is a huge key here.....however I believe his extension is very team friendly if he indeed does turn the corner this year. We also have the option of turning David Harris' salary into a roster bonus.

    I also agree that Cro is playing well (although Im not nearly as a big of a fan of him a most on the board), but he is not a smart use of cap dollars. First off its too much to have tied into 1 position. But more importantly, CB is not a mutually exclusive position. Cro's "numbers" look better then they should be as he rarely has to cover a teams #1 WR, so having Revis basically devalues the #2 CB on our team. Plus, when you look at what we are assembling on defense and what has worked in the past, I can see the team playing a lot more zone coverage (loaded/hybrid zone of course with Revis in man) which further negates Cros value as he is much better in man coverage.

    This is all a moot point if either wilson/lancaster, some other player doesnt step up and give us the opportunity to staff the position with an adequate replacement.

  13. #13
    If maybin gets 9-11 sacks, Mark Anderson's contract could be used as a baseline for ref. 4 years and 24 mill.

    Similar players that were reclamation projects as 3rd down pass rushers.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If maybin gets 9-11 sacks, Mark Anderson's contract could be used as a baseline for ref. 4 years and 24 mill.

    Similar players that were reclamation projects as 3rd down pass rushers.
    I would be happy with those numbers especially since Maybin's ceiling is significantly higher then andersons considering he is only 24 years old and Anderson is 29.

  15. #15
    If Maybin hits double digit sacks, he's going to get an offer that's a lot higher than $6M/yr.

    1) That would mean that he was the lead sack man on a top 3 defense.

    2) Mark Anderson is 29, Maybin would have just turned 25 when free agency starts next year.

    3) Aaron Maybin was a high 1st round pick, Mark Anderson was taken in the 5th round.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us