Thread: Aaron Maybin Contract?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Maybin Contract?

Does anyone know Aaron Maybin contract? He's the only player on the Jets I like (except for Mangold & Harris). Thinking about getting his jersey.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is currently working on a one-year deal. The Jets gave him a first-round tender.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is currently working on a one-year deal. The Jets gave him a first-round tender.
    balls...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    balls...
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    By all accounts he is an extremely loyal person who values the opportunity the Jets gave him. He obviously wont take a huge discount (who does???) but I think he values that Rex has put him in a position to succeed, vs what happened earlier in his career.

If I had to put early odds on it id say Revis and Maybin definitely get extended, Keller does not, greene 50-50 and we potentially look into dropping Cro if there is no cap hit (which I think there isnt, but dont remember 100%)
    agree with everything except for Cro.. By the numbers, he's performing as one of the top 5-10 CBs in the game.. unless Kyle Wilson finally shows up, I dont see the Jets letting Cro walk.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    agree with everything except for Cro.. By the numbers, he's performing as one of the top 5-10 CBs in the game.. unless Kyle Wilson finally shows up, I dont see the Jets letting Cro walk.
    They might not have a choice after Revis gets his 7 year 120 million dollar deal. They may be forced to go with Revis and Wilson.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Cro has one more major cap hit in 13' - after that, he's cuttable. Next year, he's not.

Maybin's contract potential has a huge range, based on what he does this year. If he becomes the 10+ sack guy we hope he does, I would not be surprised if we end up franchising him. Whilst its a good problem to have, I'm not sure the team is budgeted for a mega deal at LB right now.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets have to keep Revis and Cro IMO. Otherwise it's 2009 and Lito Sheppard all over again. For our style of man-to-man defense we have to have two top-tier corners.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    Jets have to keep Revis and Cro IMO. Otherwise it's 2009 and Lito Sheppard all over again. For our style of man-to-man defense we have to have two top-tier corners.
    If Lankster and Wilson develop over the next two years, I would love to see those guys become the #2/3 CBs and say buh-bye to Cro. Not that I disslike Cro, its simply not sound allocation of cap dollars to have two CBs so highly paid. Even with our reliance on CBs, you like to have your #2 CB with a more modest of a salary. We are paying #1 CB money to both of them right now (for the most part).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You couldn't have just Googled this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Revis' next contract is going to be tied to Sanchez' success or should be, IMO. I know it sounds crazy but if Sanchez doesn't progress and we don't have a QB then it is retarded to pay a CB $16-18 million a year. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't do it.

If Maybin comes out strong, maybe the Jets looks to extend him in the middle of the season. I don't know if Tanny has a history of doing that. but if they think he is going to have a huge year (12-15 sacks) AND become a 3 down player they might want to consider it to try and save money. Although I do not think the market will be big for Maybin unless he shows he is more than a situation pass rusher.

This year is going to be interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Revis' next contract is going to be tied to Sanchez' success or should be, IMO. I know it sounds crazy but if Sanchez doesn't progress and we don't have a QB then it is retarded to pay a CB $16-18 million a year. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't do it.

If Maybin comes out strong, maybe the Jets looks to extend him in the middle of the season. I don't know if Tanny has a history of doing that. but if they think he is going to have a huge year (12-15 sacks) AND become a 3 down player they might want to consider it to try and save money. Although I do not think the market will be big for Maybin unless he shows he is more than a situation pass rusher.

This year is going to be interesting.
    Agree that Sanchez is a huge key here.....however I believe his extension is very team friendly if he indeed does turn the corner this year. We also have the option of turning David Harris' salary into a roster bonus.

I also agree that Cro is playing well (although Im not nearly as a big of a fan of him a most on the board), but he is not a smart use of cap dollars. First off its too much to have tied into 1 position. But more importantly, CB is not a mutually exclusive position. Cro's "numbers" look better then they should be as he rarely has to cover a teams #1 WR, so having Revis basically devalues the #2 CB on our team. Plus, when you look at what we are assembling on defense and what has worked in the past, I can see the team playing a lot more zone coverage (loaded/hybrid zone of course with Revis in man) which further negates Cros value as he is much better in man coverage.

This is all a moot point if either wilson/lancaster, some other player doesnt step up and give us the opportunity to staff the position with an adequate replacement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If maybin gets 9-11 sacks, Mark Anderson's contract could be used as a baseline for ref. 4 years and 24 mill.

Similar players that were reclamation projects as 3rd down pass rushers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If maybin gets 9-11 sacks, Mark Anderson's contract could be used as a baseline for ref. 4 years and 24 mill.

Similar players that were reclamation projects as 3rd down pass rushers.
    I would be happy with those numbers especially since Maybin's ceiling is significantly higher then andersons considering he is only 24 years old and Anderson is 29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Maybin hits double digit sacks, he's going to get an offer that's a lot higher than $6M/yr.

1) That would mean that he was the lead sack man on a top 3 defense.

2) Mark Anderson is 29, Maybin would have just turned 25 when free agency starts next year.

3) Aaron Maybin was a high 1st round pick, Mark Anderson was taken in the 5th round.