Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYJ Interested in Benson?

Jets Insider VIP

NYJ Interested in Benson?

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned on SportsCenter Tuesday that the Jets have "spoken" to free agent Cedric Benson.
    Schefter also reiterated that the Raiders and Packers have sniffed around Benson, but "nothing has materialized just yet." This was the first we'd heard of the Jets' interest, although their running back coach, Anthony Lynn, talked up current starter Shonn Greene Tuesday as if he were one of the best backs in the league. The Jets will probably continue to overrated and misevaluate Greene, but they still ought to give Benson a long look.
    Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3139/cedric-benson

All League
    3 1000 yard seasons in Cinci?

Bring the ****er in and get him to work. Greene is going nowhere fast. We NEED another RB and badly.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Jets interested in almost anyone at RB and RT.

Banned
    A 1-2 punch of Greene and Benson could become a perfect duo in regards to a smash-mouth/ground and pound style of rushing attack. We could also use Joe McKnight all over the football field, without risking injury to our #2 back. Special teams, kickoff returns, coming out of the backfield with screens and swing passes, lining up coming out of the slots etc, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Can't stand Rotoworld anymore, all they do is trash the Jets and take smarmy little shots whenever they can.

As for Benson, I'll pass. I'd rather the money to toward a veteran WR or RT.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Can't stand Rotoworld anymore, all they do is trash the Jets and take smarmy little shots whenever they can.

I think hes worth a look but I agree a veteran WR or Vernon Carey are much bigger needs.

All League
    I would take LT back before benson

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    The Jets will probably continue to overrated and misevaluate Greene
    In my opinion, this is a common misconception.

Don't trust what the Jets say publicly, they always talk up their own players. Instead, look at some of the team's actions since Greene was drafted.

Drafted Joe McKnight
    Drafted Bilal Powell
    Drafted Terrance Ganaway

Started an aging LaDainian Tomlinson

Traded for Tebow

The Jets know full well what they have in Greene. They are just not going to admit it publicly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    I would take LT back before benson
    Not as a running back I wouldn't.

Benson: 273 rushing attempts, 1,067 rushing yards, 3.9 yards per carry, 6 rushing TD's.

Tomlinson: 75 rushing attempts, 280 rushing yards, 3.7 yards per carry, 1 rushing TD.

L.T may be able to pass protect and catch out of the backfield, but he's completely shot. Benson isn't. There's a reason why Tomlinson retired; he couldn't do it anymore.

Sparano likes his running backs and mixing things up, so this wouldn't shock me. I'm not crazy about it though.

Benson is going to be 30 this season... Running backs 30+ generally aren't a good thing. Of course there are exceptions...

+1 they openly hate the Jets. It's ridiculous.

One of the situations that can limit a young RB from getting a lot of carries, and limiting their roles in the offense, is their inability to be dependable in pass protection.

If Greene was to be injured and out for several weeks, an experienced veteran RB like Benson can get the majority of carries, and keep the QBs upright when pass protecting.

He's 29 y.o., and has three straight 1000+ seasons. Benson is a viable alternative to carry the load, if Shonn gets hurt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Who doesn't?

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Greene/Benson is a tough combination for a defense to deal with all game. However, I'm not cool with bringing in benson if Powell or McKnight get cut b/c of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Jets interested in almost anyone at RB and RT.
    Actually their not this is hogwash. Rex and Tanny thing Shonn Greene is the next Jim Brown the way they talk about him. This is the year where we finally see him turn into Jamal Lewis. Hey remember the time they said he can play every down and he got better at catching the ball and running routes? AHAHAHHAHAAAA .... unbelievable.

In my opinion, the Jets do a lot of talking to FA's to get a sense of what they believe their value is, not because they are interested in signing them. They wanna know what a player like Benson is willing to sign for and then they document that in order to bring that information up at a future date.

"Well Benson was worth X amount of dollars and put up similar numbers as your client. This is what we are willing to offer."

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    It used to annoy the shlt out of me, now I kind of like it, fvck em all

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Actually their not this is hogwash. Rex and Tanny thing Shonn Greene is the next Jim Brown the way they talk about him. This is the year where we finally see him turn into Jamal Lewis. Hey remember the time they said he can play every down and he got better at catching the ball and running routes? AHAHAHHAHAAAA .... unbelievable.
    Btw...i think you are done, Ladainian

Hall Of Fame

Agreed but I want to see if Hunter has improved. Too many Jets fans are pushing the panic button. The guy did well a few years ago and the season does not start until Sept. in that time a good player from another team could be shaken loose or one of our kids steps up. Last year the entire OL was dysfunctional. BRICK allowed as many sacks as Hunter! The Dolphins creamed our QB through BRICK in that last game. Anyone clamoring for him to be replaced?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 07-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.

All League
    No thanks. I think the RB's we have will do a great job.