Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the most talented Jets team in 30 years...

This is the most talented Jets team in 30 years...

Can't remember a Jets team brimming with so much talent as this one. The media can't stand us, even our own beat writers conspire to bring the team down, but I still see a potential juggernaut in the making.

This team will be very, very hungry after last season's humbling finale, I wouldn't switch places with any other team right now.

Banned
    I still have lots of concerns in regards to our offense, but we could be on the verge of featuring the greatest Jets defense of all-time. Without question, the strongest/deepest defensive Jets talent I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Can't remember a Jets team brimming with so much talent as this one. The media can't stand us, even our own beat writers conspire to bring the team down, but I still see a potential juggernaut in the making.

This team will be very, very hungry after last season's humbling finale, I wouldn't switch places with any other team right now.

Really? I've been following the Jets since around 1980... so just over 30 years. I will have to think about it, but off the top of my head I don't think this team is the most talented. The early/mid 80s teams come to mind... on defense Revis and Cromartie are probably the only ones who would start for those teams. The entire front 7 was better, not to mention all the skill position players were better on those 80s teams. Not sure it is even close. Seriously. And as good as Mangold and Brick are, Fields and Marvin Powell - while probably a slight step down - were very good.

The early 00s teams (and of course, '98) were also more talented than this one, IMO.

Jets Insider VIP

I'm not feeling it. Sanchez is barely above average if at all. How many pro bowlers?

I'm not unhappy..but only on a JETS board will someone say this team is highly talented.

dude our depth at receiver SUCKS, Sanchez (who knows), Shonn Greene (oh yeah finally this is his year), depth at O line is suspect, where's the proven/elite pass rusher, Landry (question mark with health)... This isn't even the most talented team in the last 5 years. Get out of here ..... If we have more than 3 pro bowlers this year I'd be shocked ... what kind of nonsense is this

Nope, this is our deepest team ever, better than the 09 and 10 teams that went to the Championship game. Better than the 98 team and better than the 82 team too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? I've been following the Jets since around 1980... so just over 30 years. I will have to think about it, but off the top of my head I don't think this team is the most talented. The early/mid 80s teams come to mind... on defense Revis and Cromartie are probably the only ones who would start for those teams. The entire front 7 was better, not to mention all the skill position players were better on those 80s teams. Not sure it is even close. Seriously. And as good as Mangold and Brick are, Fields and Marvin Powell - while probably a slight step down - were very good.

The early 00s teams (and of course, '98) were also more talented than this one, IMO.
    +1.

Offense: No dominant RB for a 'G&P' team, no RB depth, no RB receiving threat, only 1 legitimate WR, a TE that can't get open, suspect OL, inconsistent QB.

Defense: No pass rush, safety unaddressed, still susceptible to TE's doing major damage, way too dependent upon rookies and questionable second year players.

Specials: Kicking game and field position a problem last season, unaddressed.

Coaching: Same staff as last year on D, new OC is a God-send but it takes time to adjust.

Schedule: Brutal early on, very easily could cause death-spiral if we're not prepared in first four games.

In my opinion, last year's team was one of our best rosters ever, and look what happened to them.

SAR I

1999 was the most talented team, but injuries got in the way.....

even in 2008 with Favre we looked Super Bowl bound until Favre got injured

2010 was a stacked team too, in the AFCCG had we been able to make 3 or 4 key tackles in the 1st quarter to get the defense off the field, it would've been a different game.

This year's team has less veteran, proven talent at the skill positions. If the defense stays healthy it will be the #1 defense in the league I believe, and the offense just needs to "not screw it up," but I have nightmares about Wayne Hunter getting Sanchez killed.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 07-31-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    dude our depth at receiver SUCKS, Sanchez (who knows), Shonn Greene (oh yeah finally this is his year), depth at O line is suspect, where's the proven/elite pass rusher, Landry (question mark with health)... This isn't even the most talented team in the last 5 years. Get out of here ..... If we have more than 3 pro bowlers this year I'd be shocked ... what kind of nonsense is this

The 09 team had more question marks, we had q rookie QB who didnt even play his senior year in college and the starting WR's were Cotch and Stuckey. We had lito Sheppard starting opposite Revis and getting burned repeatedly and look how far we got.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I still have lots of concerns in regards to our offense, but we could be on the verge of featuring the greatest Jets defense of all-time. Without question, the strongest/deepest defensive Jets talent I've ever seen.
    +1

This Defensive unit is poised to be special. With a bit more pass rush (which they have tried to address), i think this is a top 3 Jets D that i have seen since '86.

I know im gonna get crushed for saying this, and i could care less: The Jets Offense will be a HUGE liability this season, and will eliminate any chance at the post season. I hate to say it, but i think our Offense sucks, from the top down.

The defense has the potential..big maybe to be special.

But no way on the offense.Avg rb (my opinon) 1 proven wide out (who is a head case) good tight end not great..and pure garbage at right tackle..and a big question mark at qb

the 2002 offense once Chad took over was pretty good.Moss,Coles,Chrebet,
    Martin and Jordan at rb.Great o-line.

If Vinny hadn't gotten hurt the 99 team I think was headed to a championship...
    oh the horror of that day

If Coples comes as advertised, and Wilkerson makes typical 2nd year progress, we will have the pass rush we need.

Wilkerson and Coples on the inside, and Maybin and Pace/Sapp on the outside should give us a decent 4 man pass rush on passing downs

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    +1

This Defensive unit is poised to be special. With a bit more pass rush (which they have tried to address), i think this is a top 3 Jets D that i have seen since '86.

I know im gonna get crushed for saying this, and i could care less: The Jets Offense will be a HUGE liability this season, and will eliminate any chance at the post season. I hate to say it, but i think our Offense sucks, from the top down.
    agree

If you look at the skill positions on offense..no one scares you if you are an opposing oc

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    agree

If you look at the skill positions on offense..no one scares you if you are an opposing oc
    this really depends on if Stephen Hill can be the WR we think he can be. If he can put up Braylon-type production then we are fine.

RT is the big issue here, not WR in ny opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1.

Offense: No dominant RB for a 'G&P' team, no RB depth, no RB receiving threat, only 1 legitimate WR, a TE that can't get open, suspect OL, inconsistent QB.

Defense: No pass rush, safety unaddressed, still susceptible to TE's doing major damage, way too dependent upon rookies and questionable second year players.

Specials: Kicking game and field position a problem last season, unaddressed.

Coaching: Same staff as last year on D, new OC is a God-send but it takes time to adjust.

Schedule: Brutal early on, very easily could cause death-spiral if we're not prepared in first four games.

In my opinion, last year's team was one of our best rosters ever, and look what happened to them.

SAR I

Safety unaddressed? How the fck is safety unadressed? We got landry, Bell then drafted Bush and Allen, comments like those are the reason why You are th biggest fcking moron around here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Safety unaddressed? How the fck is safety unadressed? We got landry, Bell then drafted Bush and Allen, comments like those are the reason why You are th biggest fcking moron around here.
    Landry is an oft-injured castoff, the other guys rookie projects. That's 'unaddressed'.

Disagreeing with my opinion is no reason for personal attacks of that nature. You owe me an apology.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    The 09 team had more question marks, we had q rookie QB who didnt even play his senior year in college and the starting WR's were Cotch and Stuckey. We had lito Sheppard starting opposite Revis and getting burned repeatedly and look how far we got.
    If you could reach...would you filate yourself????

You are the only one agreeing with yourself....that's why I ask.

The 2010 Jets the most talented Jets team ive ever seen. This year is the most talent ive ever seen on defense I think the defense comes back with a huge bang this year. The offense is going to be better then last year idk if it tops the 2010 offense though. I think we go 10-6 or better and we're right back in the playoffs we'll see what happens from there we're going back to our identity this year only difference is not every pass is going to be a 3 yard slant.

I hope you're right

I won't fight with you on your opinion of SAR, but you can't just dismiss his points about the safeties. There were two huge holes at that position when the offseason started. If you really think those holes were successfully plugged by one guy coming off a major injury, another guy who's less than two years from retirement, and two late-round picks...well all I can say is that he's just as "right" as you are until the games start.

Agree with others that the defense might be ferocious this year, but there is a question mark at every single position on offense except Center. On the '99 team, there wasn't a question mark at a single position on either side of the ball...until the 2nd-half of week 1.

No way is this team the most talented roster in 30 years. You could make a case that the '04 squad had even more talent.