Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the most talented Jets team in 30 years...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    No pass rush? Maybin, Wilk, Couples and possibly Sapp beg to differ. Safety unaddressed? We dumped the garbage at safety and added two veterans and some promising looking rookies. Definately improved over last season. The LB and S positions added speed to address the main weakness from the past two seasons of the inability to cover TE's and RB's. I completely disagree with what you said about the D.
    I appreciate your point of view and disagree. You're putting a lot of faith into a mix of rookies, second-year, and castoff players. Hey, if they all work we'll have the #1 defense in the NFL. But if only half work, or more likely, a quarter work, we're essentially the same as last season.

That said, even if you're right and the D is the best in the NFL, our offense has gone backwards and nothing is going to fix that. QB same. OL same. TE same. WR worse. RB worse. LT and Plax in particular were Bandaids for the endzone threat and swing pass threat last year, now we're completely naked.

With the Jets, it's the D that's the given due to coaching. The O needed significant help in the offseason and it never came.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    I agree with everyone here on all points, but IMO it's not the best players in 20 years, it's the coaching staff. I believe they could take this team into the post season if given players that can ball. It's that simple yet only one in 32 teams get to win it.
    We didn't beat a single team with a winning record last year and we let three teams with losing records sweep us out of the playoff race.

One can argue that the 2010 roster reloaded (last year's team) was amongst our most talented ever. Remember all those missing pieces we were luxuriously adding a year ago? Today's team hangs its hat on some rookies on D and frankly nothing on O. I'd argue this is the worst talent Ryan has had to work with, not the best.

If we die, it'll be because of our running game. No one will respect it, they'll sell out to cover the short passing zones, take away all of Sanchez' comfortable options, let Greene and a bunch of nobodies get 1 yard gains. Sort of like last year but without LT sneaking out of the backfield and Plax outjumping guys for TD's.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 07-31-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best CBs in 30 years.

That's about it.

OL no. QB no. RBs no. WRs no. DL no. LBs no.

And as a collection the 1998, 1999 and 2008-2010 rosters are all better. And that is just recent history.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LMFAOOOO. Well played my favorite movie of all time

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Can't remember a Jets team brimming with so much talent as this one.
    An 8-8 football team who missed the playoffs last year, improved marginally throgh the draft, and took flyers on crippled FA's?

Where is all the talent on this Jets team?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I won't fight with you on your opinion of SAR, but you can't just dismiss his points about the safeties. There were two huge holes at that position when the offseason started. If you really think those holes were successfully plugged by one guy coming off a major injury, another guy who's less than two years from retirement, and two late-round picks...well all I can say is that he's just as "right" as you are until the games start.

Agree with others that the defense might be ferocious this year, but there is a question mark at every single position on offense except Center. On the '99 team, there wasn't a question mark at a single position on either side of the ball...until the 2nd-half of week 1.

No way is this team the most talented roster in 30 years. You could make a case that the '04 squad had even more talent.

If we went and got Reed and Polomalu, Sar would still come up with something negative to say, that's his M.O, the Jets went and got 4 safeties plus there's the kid from last year too Tracy Wilson that's 5, yet Sar still says safety wasn't addressed. We got Coples, Maybin and Sapp, have Thomas coming back, plus the development of Mo and Ellis not to mention DeVito but Sar doesn't think we'll have a pass rush. I don't think this clown understands football at all, and I've been reading his garbage for years now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure where all the talent is on offense. I think the O is one giant question mark.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We didn't beat a single team with a winning record last year and we let three teams with losing records sweep us out of the playoff race.

One can argue that the 2010 roster reloaded (last year's team) was amongst our most talented ever. Remember all those missing pieces we were luxuriously adding a year ago? Today's team hangs its hat on some rookies on D and frankly nothing on O. I'd argue this is the worst talent Ryan has had to work with, not the best.

If we die, it'll be because of our running game. No one will respect it, they'll sell out to cover the short passing zones, take away all of Sanchez' comfortable options, let Greene and a bunch of nobodies get 1 yard gains. Sort of like last year but without LT sneaking out of the backfield and Plax outjumping guys for TD's.

SAR I
    Couldn't agree more because it's history and you can't take back history, only doomed to repeat it if you are an idiot and I don't think Rex is an idiot. You have Sparano fresh off a HC job & Westys back with a new leg up on ST, i think they could do it even with this mix bag of players. Of course I'll feel better after the 53 + 8 are in writing, but I'm not losing faith in the staff.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    An 8-8 football team who missed the playoffs last year, improved marginally throgh the draft, and took flyers on crippled FA's?

A lesser version of this team beat the Pats senseless in 2010, the trend is up not down despite what you wish would happen, last year was a correction. History proves me right, the Jets have bounced back in 98, 00, 02, 04, 06, 08 and 10 after bad seasons. Now go get a hobby you pathetic chronic loser, posting all day on this place... Pathetic!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Enlighten us with your great Patriot wisdom what exactly do your team do with the exception of Hightower to improve?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Can someone please DUMP this thread.

There is a fine line between optimism and delusion. This thread doesn't cross it, it obliterates it. It makes all Jet fans look bad and uninformed. Just gives ammunition to opposing fans.

Please like I give a sht about other fans or jinxes for that matter. I don't make these proclamations fvery year, but I've put a lot of thoughts into this, the Jets will be a considerably better team this season and there are a lot of factors besides just personnel, coaching will be better too and the overall attitude of this team will be to prove everyone wrong and I think they will. Fck Cimini and the rest of the media hacks who manufacture negativity about the Jets for ratings, I don't care what they think, I see beyond, and I guarantee you this team will be the hungriest, nastiest team ever, this is a SB caliber team, laugh all you want now if you like, I'll laugh last.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chemistry, bickering and Schitty beat us last year, this year will be a different team, trust me on that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please like I give a sht about other fans or jinxes for that matter. I don't make these proclamations fvery year, but I've put a lot of thoughts into this, the Jets will be a considerably better team this season and there are a lot of factors besides just personnel, coaching will be better too and the overall attitude of this team will be to prove everyone wrong and I think they will. Fck Cimini and the rest of the media hacks who manufacture negativity about the Jets for ratings, I don't care what they think, I see beyond, and I guarantee you this team will be the hungriest, nastiest team ever, this is a SB caliber team, laugh all you want now if you like, I'll laugh last.
    stick to your guns brah, Don't listen to the negative Nellies, you see beyond.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't remember a Jets team brimming with so much talent as this one. The media can't stand us, even our own beat writers conspire to bring the team down, but I still see a potential juggernaut in the making.

This team will be very, very hungry after last season's humbling finale
    , I wouldn't switch places with any other team right now.
    This was my exact sentiment the moment last season ended. Everyone is against the Jets this year and doubting them. With the mentality of this team, that's dangerous. This team WILL come out swinging and not stop all year. They will have something to prove on every play. To hone in on our WR's for example I actually like our group a lot. Hill and Schilens are both extremely physical players and will be huge contributors for us in non statistical ways.

Expect some aggressive football this season with a team looking to prove a point.

If we can just shore up RT (Vernon Carey) I honestly believe we are ready to roll.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I appreciate your point of view and disagree. You're putting a lot of faith into a mix of rookies, second-year, and castoff players. Hey, if they all work we'll have the #1 defense in the NFL. But if only half work, or more likely, a quarter work, we're essentially the same as last season.

That said, even if you're right and the D is the best in the NFL, our offense has gone backwards and nothing is going to fix that. QB same. OL same. TE same. WR worse. RB worse. LT and Plax in particular were Bandaids for the endzone threat and swing pass threat last year, now we're completely naked.

With the Jets, it's the D that's the given due to coaching. The O needed significant help in the offseason and it never came.

SAR I
    And I would take that...Our D was good last year it really came down to poor coverage in the secondary at the safety position, which I believe we've upgraded. And I think running more 4 - 3 fronts will generate more pressure from the line.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't even know if he have a decent #2 WR on offense let alone one good RB and last time I checked Hunter was still on the team.

Defense I think you have a point adding in Rex running the D but our O leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully they prove us wrong.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lesser version of this team beat the Pats senseless in 2010, the trend is up not down despite what you wish would happen, last year was a correction!
    A correction, are you talking about the stock market?

That fluke playoff game was over 2 years ago.

The most recent meetings between the Jets and the Pats, the Pats kicked the Jets ass, averaging 34 points against a "supposedly" top defense.

Pats finished 13-3 and the Jets finished 8-8.

Again, where is all the Jets talent that is the best in 30 years?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we went and got Reed and Polomalu, Sar would still come up with something negative to say, that's his M.O,
    And what's your MO? You had some dream and think we're a Super Bowl contender so that gives you some insight that sportswriters who've been covering the team for 25 years don't have?

We had our shot and it's gone now, left on the cold grass in Pittsburgh where the team no-showed in back-to-back AFC Championship Games. You don't go back a third time with the same team, and that's what Tannenbaum is attempting to do.

Understand that we signed every big-name free agent for three consecutive years to help sell PSL's and fill a stadium and it worked to a point on the field. The price we pay for that aggressiveness back then is that the draft picks that we should have had aren't here, traded away, and neither are those big-name free agents. It's hard to do, but you have to wake up now. We're stepping back for a few years and hopefully coming out swinging again in the future. Deep down you recognize this. We all do.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    This was my exact sentiment the moment last season ended. Everyone is against the Jets this year and doubting them. With the mentality of this team, that's dangerous.
    So the same team that made it to the 2009 AFC Championship Game and didn't show up for the 2010 AFC Championship Game and then after those back-to-back defeats didn't come out swinging and drooped to 8-8 is suddenly going to get mad now and show the world how great they are?

I wish. If this team had that kind of gumption, that sense of urgency we'd have won in Pittsburgh and had a fun time in the Super Bowl.

I guess where we differ is that you see a talented team that had some bad breaks and I see an average team that overachieved for awhile getting an overrdue dose of reality. Maybe we're better on D, but we are nowhere on O and you need to have lengthy drives and score points to win in today's NFL.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You neglect to mention we added Jesus to the roster.