Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 82

Thread: Yankees are in trouble

  1. #61
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Anyone's numbers take a serious hit playing in the Grand Canyon Safeco Field. Raul Ibanez looked done hitting in Safeco and then he bounced back once he moved to Philly and then NY. There's no doubt Montero's #'s would be better playing full-time in Yankee Stadium plus he's a Catcher.

    As a Catcher, Montero is not that bad defensively. I watched him play. I really don't understand what all the fuss was about him not being able to play Catcher he is not worse than Jorge Posada was in his last few years with the Yankees.
    Comparing his ability as a catcher to an old Posada doesn't really help your argument. He's not a good fielding catcher and he can't throw. He's a DH. The trade obviously looks bad now that Pineda's hurt but if he bounces back and pitches like he did last year this a good deal for them.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Montero hasn't been all that special.
    Yankees current catcher is hitting 203.

    I like Montero, he could catch 60 games, DH another 90, or learn how to play 1B now that Tex is out for a while. I blame Cash for having a very old team, with Cano being the youngest starter at like, 29.

  3. #63
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Yankees current catcher is hitting 203.

    I like Montero, he could catch 60 games, DH another 90, or learn how to play 1B now that Tex is out for a while. I blame Cash for having a very old team, with Cano being the youngest starter at like, 29.
    Their youngest starter has been out all year. Problem is you have one player outperforming his expectation and he's one of your oldest-Jeter. ARod isn't what he used to be, Teixiera is no a longer an elite 1b, Cano for some reason can't drive in runs, Granderson strikes out too much and your old subs (Jones, Chavez, Ibanez) have played lousy the last month.
    Also the Yanks best starter this season is a 37 year old. CC has been less than you'd hope for. Hughes just hasn't been the guy he'd been hyped to be, he's an avg starter at best.

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really the biggest problem the Yankees have is that they can't seem to score unless they hit homers.

  5. #65
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Proof the players don't care as much as fans do about rivalries: Pedroia isn't playing today after his wife gave birth yesterday.

  6. #66
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Proof the players don't care as much as fans do about rivalries: Pedroia isn't playing today after his wife gave birth yesterday.
    True....but more proof that times have changed, imho.

    I give Pedroia credit, especially considering what a nut he is.

    Life is short, in his waning days.. he can be proud he was there for this.

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    True....but more proof that times have changed, imho.

    I give Pedroia credit, especially considering what a nut he is.

    Life is short, in his waning days.. he can be proud he was there for this.
    +1

    162 games a season and you know your teams out of it... I'd miss the game also.

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just in: Jeter is awesome!

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Proof the players don't care as much as fans do about rivalries: Pedroia isn't playing today after his wife gave birth yesterday.
    Are the Red Sox remotely in contention?

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Are the Red Sox remotely in contention?
    No but if he hated the Yankees anywhere near as much as his fans do he'd have played.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees are showing resiliency. I'm actually happy the O's are making this as close as it is they are having a finally having a good season for their city and their fans - all 5,000 of them.

  12. #72
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Yankees are showing resiliency. I'm actually happy the O's are making this as close as it is they are having a finally having a good season for their city and their fans - all 5,000 of them.
    They had fans in the early 90s, Angelos killed most of them.

  13. #73
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Proof the players don't care as much as fans do about rivalries: Pedroia isn't playing today after his wife gave birth yesterday.
    One of the few Sawx to show life in this series...playing with a broken finger...and getting hits. Dude is a "baseball player".

    Thanks Sawx for imploding, and congrats Yanks on showing grit until the almost finish line.
    Last edited by 32green; 10-03-2012 at 11:15 PM.

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very tough to ever compliment a Boston athlete but Pedroia is the sh*t!
    Dude just gets it.
    Can he play WR??

  15. #75
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATULATIONS, AL EAST CHAMPION NEW YORK YANKEES!!!

    Well deserved after a great pursuit by the O's. Remarkable numbers. I read in the papers that for 21 straight days in September, the Yanks & Os were separated by 1 game or less in the standings, the first time in over a century that the top 2 teams have been that close late in the season for such a long time.

    The Yanks needed this 3 days rest since they've essentially been playing playoff baseball for close to a month. Hopefully it carries over.

    Going forward, Girardi better not take anymore stupid pills and decide to put Tex ahead of Cano or in the middle of the lineup.

    The best Yankee lineup for the postseason IMO is:

    Jeter
    Ichiro
    ARod
    Cano
    Swisher
    Grandy
    Tex
    Ibanez
    Martin

    If you're worried about lefties, you can switch Ichiro for Swisher, but I would be against it. If Cano is anywhere other than 3rd or 4th, Girardi should be slapped.

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the prize for winning the division and playing till the last day?

    Having to start the playoffs on the road.

    Horrible move by MLB.

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, DD, it doesn't make sense BUT it's only a 1 year thing.

    They did this because of scheduling problems and trying to have a truncated postseason with a new format but under the old schedule.

    Next year they'll go back to the 2-2-1 format for divisional round.

  18. #78
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And the prize for winning the division and playing till the last day?

    Having to start the playoffs on the road.

    Horrible move by MLB.
    Call me crazy, but I actually like this format.

    If the Yanks can pull off a split on the road, they have a chance to win 2 of 3 at home and they will get to close out the series in front of the home crowd, which is nice.

    I think the 2-2-1 has too many off days.

    Actually, I think the playoffs have too many off days in general. They play 6 games a week for 6 months and then all of the sudden they get a bunch of days off... it's a totally different dynamic than the regular season.

  19. #79
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS, AL EAST CHAMPION NEW YORK YANKEES!!!

    Well deserved after a great pursuit by the O's. Remarkable numbers. I read in the papers that for 21 straight days in September, the Yanks & Os were separated by 1 game or less in the standings, the first time in over a century that the top 2 teams have been that close late in the season for such a long time.

    The Yanks needed this 3 days rest since they've essentially been playing playoff baseball for close to a month. Hopefully it carries over.

    Going forward, Girardi better not take anymore stupid pills and decide to put Tex ahead of Cano or in the middle of the lineup.

    The best Yankee lineup for the postseason IMO is:

    Jeter
    Ichiro
    ARod
    Cano
    Swisher
    Grandy
    Tex
    Ibanez
    Martin

    If you're worried about lefties, you can switch Ichiro for Swisher, but I would be against it. If Cano is anywhere other than 3rd or 4th, Girardi should be slapped.
    I really hope Girardi has finally realized that Tex is a bottom of the order hitter at this point. He's a walking rally killer.

    And as the 7, he still provides a threat at the bottom of the order. The benefit of having so much power throughout the lineup is that you will have quality hitters in the bottom 1/3rd. Everyone up top has earned his place.

  20. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad they turned it around the last couple weeks. They had to play well with the Orioles winning seemingly everyday.

    Good start to the post-season as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us