Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you sign Shaun Ellis to surpass Gastineau?

All League

Would you sign Shaun Ellis to surpass Gastineau?

I was bored and looking up stats.

Shaun Ellis (72.5) is only 1.5 sacks behind Mark Gastineau (74) for the Jets All-Time Sack Leader.

As a Jets fan, just hypothetically speaking, would you want to re-sign him for a vet's minimum and see him get 2 sacks to surpass #99's tainted stats and ugly exit (Despite reconciliation) from the team? Just curious on thoughts.

vs.

I LOVE Shaun Ellis. He was a consistent Jet and as much as I'm a Gastineau fan, I think #92 would be more deserving of that crown. I'd like to see him at least get the opportunity for the record.

That traitor can go retire. Just glad he lost the Super Bowl

Banned
    No. We have two young guns in Wilkerson and Coples. You don't set the defense as a team back, in order to (attempt to) allow Shaun Ellis tie or break a franchise record.

Ellis has been on a steep decline. I made it known heading into last season, that Ellis was on a decline, and would be lucky to put up anything more than 20 tackles and 2 sacks with NE. I was right, but, he was even worse and/or more washed up than expected/imagined.

2008: 60 tackles, 8.5 sacks.
    2009: 53 tackles, 6.5 sacks.
    2010: 36 tackles, 4.5 sacks.
    2011: 14 tackles, 1.0 sacks.

He's completely done as an NFL football player, and may not have two sacks left in his ability. How long would you expect to wait for Ellis to record those two sacks? Two years? He's done.

No
    Only sign him for a day contract so he can retire as a JET

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    I was bored and looking up stats.

Shaun Ellis (72.5) is only 1.5 sacks behind Mark Gastineau (74) for the Jets All-Time Sack Leader.

As a Jets fan, just hypothetically speaking, would you want to re-sign him for a vet's minimum and see him get 2 sacks to surpass #99's tainted stats and ugly exit (Despite reconciliation) from the team? Just curious on thoughts.

vs.

I LOVE Shaun Ellis. He was a consistent Jet and as much as I'm a Gastineau fan, I think #92 would be more deserving of that crown. I'd like to see him at least get the opportunity for the record.
    no, he had his chance while he was here. That type of move is a slap in the face to Gastineau. He was ****ed once by Strahan no need to **** him again especially by his own team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    No
    Only sign him for a day contract so he can retire as a JET
    Even though I couldn't stand Ellis leaving the Jets for the Patriots... I approve this message. He gave us his heart and soul, and deserves to retire a Jet.

You can't blame Ellis for signing with NE, they gave him a ridiculous contract. They overpaid him by 3 million dollars. I would let him sign to retire a Jet, but not to actually play.

Veteran
    It'd be nice if he could play one game get a couple sacks and then retire but that ain't gonna happen. He was good while he was a Jet, he should retire one.

Glad he lost the SB... Now he can retire like most other Jets have...

No.

He left the Jets. He went to the hated rival. He doesn't deserve that level of loyalty.

He would be stupid to not take the extra 3M dollars. That I don't begrudge him of. But when it comes to loyalty, he showed none. Why should the Jets show him any? Let him retire with the enemy for that matter. This is professional sports and he showed ZERO loyalty with his move.

This is like when Glavin signed with the Mets. We booed his ass all day in ATL. Once he retired and some time went by he's been accepted back by the fans. But they still wont forget how he ended his career. Some people don't care about their legacy, instead going for the money. Pretty sad that loyalty, legacy, and integrity can be bought out.

Nope. Gaston ray is the best pass rusher the jets ever had. Ellis doesn't come close plus he went to the Pats. F-that lazy, pothead sellout.

Nah, let him try to break NE's record.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

In football where real stats are unimportant and this is far from a real stat?

Considering that they didn't count sacks the first 3 years of Gastineau's career?

No.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

We have people badmouthing Ellis in this thread and praising Gastineu?

The same guy who in the prime of his career left us high and dry to go bang that she-hulk Bridget Nielsen?

Gastineu can suck a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.

Ellis wanted to continue playing and I can't blame him for leaving or signing with the Pats for that matter. We offered him the vet minimum after he was voted to the pro-bowl and almost single handedly dismantled the Pats offense in a playoff win. He took it as a slap in the face and I don't blame him.

Absolutely not.

His time is over. It's time for young players to play and show what they can do. Ellis can sign a one day contract and retire a Jet if he'd like, but no skin off our nose if he doesn't care to do so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    In football where real stats are unimportant and this is far from a real stat?

Considering that they didn't count sacks the first 3 years of Gastineau's career?

No.
    Or the first 5 of Klecko's.. I guess Ellis had more then Deacon Jones who coined the phrase sack..
    Last edited by Savage69; 08-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd only do it to then subsequently bring back Gastineau to take the record back right back.

Hell, let's sign every washed up old traitor defensive lineman we can think of.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I'd only do it to then subsequently bring back Gastineau to take the record back right back.

Hell, let's sign every washed up old traitor defensive lineman we can think of.
    How is Ellis a traitor?? He wanted to stay with the Jets it's not like he had a poison pill in his contract because he wanted to be with a coach on another team??

Veteran
    For those that are hating on Shaun Ellis you are forgetting his last gift to the Jets ... sucking up 3 million of the Patriot's salary cap and being a non-factor all season long.

That's what I call a friend

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    For those that are hating on Shaun Ellis you are forgetting his last gift to the Jets ... sucking up 3 million of the Patriot's salary cap and being a non-factor all season long.

That's what I call a friend
    Yeah thank God for that or we would've never won the division over them