Thread: The "I miss football" Motorcycle ride idea

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

The "I miss football" Motorcycle ride idea

As a background:
    I am an avid motorcycle rider. I do a lot of long distance riding (greater than 500 miles per day). There is a certification organization that recognizes certain rides. This post relates to combining football games and one of those certified rides.

Any feedback is appreciated.

My beloved Jets open up Friday (Really? On a Friday?) August 10 in Cincy.

I was looking at the distance and it is 630 miles from my house in NJ, give or take. Not a good distance for any of the LD rides I want to accomplish. Add in 4 hours for parking, the game, etc, and a Bun Burner Gold (1,500 miles in 24 hours) is not possible (plus I have already done one last month), and I have already done a Saddle Sore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) as chronicled in the Summer 2012 Concourier, so that does not hold much appeal for me.

I took a look on the NFL site and saw that there are games all weekend. That gave me an idea. I could ride to 3 games and do a Saddle Sore 3000 (3,000 miles in 72 hours).

So I called up Streets and Trips and here is my plan:

Leave NJ 10:00 AM Friday.
    Arrive in Cincy at 7:00PM for 7:30PM game (634 miles)
    Watch Jets Beat Cincy

Leave Cincy at 10:30PM riding for St. Louis, MO.
    Arrive at St. Louis at 2:18AM Central Saturday. Rest for 3 hours. (984 miles)

Leave St. Louis at 5:18AM Central, heading for Charlotte, NC for the Panthers/Texans game.
    Arrive in Charlotte at 5:00PM Eastern or so, for a 7:00PM Kick off (1713 miles)
    Watch Texans beat Panthers

Leave Charlotte at 10:00 PM, heading for Indianapolis, via Chattanooga, TN for the Colts/Rams game.
    Sleep 3 hours during this stretch
    Arrive at Indianapolis at 1:10 PM Sunday, Central for 1:00 PM kick off (2481 Miles)
    Watch the worst team lose. Can't decide who that is for this one.

Leave Indianapolis for NJ at 4:00 PM Central.
    Arrive back in NJ 1:00 AM Monday. (3186 miles)

Work Monday 8:00 AM

I can get visitor sideline seats for Cincy game, so that would be the plan there.

I can get club seats for Panthers, and grab some rest in the club if I am tired.

Colts do not have club seats, as far as I can see. I was there in 2009 and 2010 and do not remember there being club seats, so I would just get cheapo seats.

So pending weather and permission from She Who is to be Obeyed, I think this is going to be my ride.
    Last edited by millsan1; 08-01-2012 at 10:04 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You ride 500+ miles a day?

How do you work?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quality post, baulzbachsam. Creative way of spelling balls, though. I'll give you that.

To the OP- do you have OCD? 'leave game at 2:18, arrive at 5:18'? 'spose there's traffic or rain?

Godspeed. Sounds like one hell of a ride.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With that kind of schedule, don't think I'd be able to enjoy the games; particularly the crap games featuring other teams. 3 hr rest increments also does not = 3 hr sleep time. Anyway, best of luck on the journey.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And LOL at She Who is to be Obeyed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aug 20 is a Monday. WTF

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typo. Obviously meant 8-10

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be too tired from the original trip to Cincy to enjoy the first game. If you do make it out there, have a safe trip and take pics.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

How do you work?
    More importantly, how are your hemorroids?

Hanging like figs, I'd bet

Cool idea though. I bought a Harley 883 Sportster years ago and I don't think I have even 500 miles on it

I was warned by friends and family that it would be really bad form if I killed myself on it and left my kids as orphans.

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

I was warned by friends and family that it would be really bad form if I killed myself on it and left my kids as orphans.

_
    You probably wont kill yourself on it.

You'll probably kill yourself off it. Slamming into pavement. Really hard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

How do you work?
    i think he meant when he does a motorcycle trip he does 500+ miles per day.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys.

OK, some clarification:

Yes, 500+ miles per day when I am riding, not every day. I work like everyone else. Actually it is usually north of 1000 miles per day when doing a competition or certified ride.

As for the time table, when doing these things, you have to have a schedule to try and stick to. I have about 8 hours of extra time, even after taking 3+ hour breaks and taking 10 minute breaks every 200 miles or so (gas stops). And as far as rain goes, it is just water. I ride through it.

The only game I care about is the Jets game. For me, on my bike, riding from NJ to Cincy is NBD. I will be fresh as a daisy and enjoy the game.

The main thrust for me is the ride, the other 2 games are just destinations to make it fun. If i miss a bit of either game, won't really bother me. Tickets for all 3 games will be less than $150, combined, so looks like I am gonna go play!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mebbe its just me, but I wouldn't want to have anything to do with something called a "Saddle Sore".

That's what I imagine you can contract whilst visiting a Thai Whorehouse.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need to go to Thailand to get your saddle sore. You can go to any Vagiants game, plenty of people there will be happy to oblige. BOOM!