Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 5 Camp Updates

Jets Insider VIP
    Thrilled with what I've heard about guys like Bilal Powell and Austin Howard.

The news on Sanchez hasn't been encouraging at all the past few days.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Tanny did not want to admit he made a mistake by letting Braylon go in the first place. If he signed Braylon this year he would be pretty much admitting he made a mistake. Nothing Tanny has done leads me to believe he will ever admit to making a personnel mistake.
    In defense of Tanny he did bring back Maybin who got cut for Logan Payne a dude who didnt play a single down last season.....

[QUOTE=fidelioion;4531213]
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Don't think so.......

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    "I'm aware of what was said. I'm on top of it. It will not be a problem." -Rex on Cromartie's comments that he's the 2nd best WR on the team

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Rex said he's "on top of" the Cromartie comments and Schilens response. Very firmly. He will handle it, he says

Rex is clearly keen to back and forths in the media after this year. Made it clear this one btwn Cromartie-Schilens won't snowball[
    /QUOTE]

Rex's has no legitimacy scolding players when it comes to saying stupid things and hurting his own team. How or why would any player take him seriously?

Saying things like he's the greatest defensive mind in football places an additional target on the back of his team.
    if rex had any balls he would suspend cro for atleast a half...when welker made the foot comments, he was suspended for the first quarter or something to that sense. it wasnt much but it something that sends the message that nobody is bigger than anyone else and there will be a punishment if something out of line is said. rex is a lot of push and not enough shove...noway anything happens here.

[QUOTE=jagr68;4531334]
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

if rex had any balls he would suspend cro for atleast a half...when welker made the foot comments, he was suspended for the first quarter or something to that sense. it wasnt much but it something that sends the message that nobody is bigger than anyone else and there will be a punishment if something out of line is said. rex is a lot of push and not enough shove...noway anything happens here.
    Rex is "all talk" and only concerned with his defense. His actions or lack off has been a deterrent in the progression of Mark Sanchez. Unless Rex becomes more of a HC, and puts his foot down, comments like this will only divide the team.

Rex claims he is the "best' defensive coach in the NFL. He should be more concerned with being the "best" HC he can be.............

[QUOTE=jagr68;4531334]
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

This is what I've been trying to say. Balls or not, he doesn't have the legitimacy to suspend players for speaking their mind.

He may have a good football mind, but I get the sense that Rex is joke to this team. They clearly don't seem to have any respect for him. Heck, Holmes basically called him a Joke earlier this week.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4531345]
    Quote Originally Posted by jagr68 View Post

Rex is "all talk" and only concerned with his defense. His actions or lack off has been a deterrent in the progression of Mark Sanchez. Unless Rex becomes more of a HC, and puts his foot down, comments like this will only divide the team.

Rex claims he is the "best' defensive coach in the NFL. He should be more concerned with being the "best" HC he can be.............

exactly..comments like this take us back to the end of last season. same old story

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

LOL

What???

What the hell does Rex not taking action against Cro for a goofy little comment have to do with Sanchez still completing 1 out of every 6 balls and throwing picks like hotcakes?

Sanchez is now in his 4th year as a starter. He's not a baby anymore. If you want to blame someone for Sanchez's lack of progression, then blame Mark Sanchez.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Knew this was going to happen, and it's not just Schillens, Hill apparently didn't like Cro's comment either. Rex needs to start managing the players or it could get ugly.
    tebow can handle the media circus, but there are other jets players who need better pr coaching.

with that said cromartie's comments should have been laughed off by the WRs. schillens needs to worry more about staying on the field than who's the #2 WR.

Wow! The negative nellies are out in full force in this one.

As far as team disunity goes, this is a cakewalk to fix, and is actually good experience for Rex as he tries to grow as a coach.

The comments about Kerley are the most transparent case of trying motivate a guy since "hey let's get Wayne to start a fight with Vern". You can't read ANYTHING into those comments; if we know anything about these Jets, the real guys in trouble are the ones who get random over the top praise.

Some of you are either trying too hard to push an anti-Sanchez agenda, or are letting the media infect your thoughts. This is the first week of camp, and this is the team's best roster since the turn of the century. Just enjoy the sport/ignore the media clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Sanchez is now in his 4th year as a starter. He's not a baby anymore. If you want to blame someone for Sanchez's lack of progression, then blame Mark Sanchez.

LOL

What???

What the hell does Rex not taking action against Cro for a goofy little comment have to do with Sanchez still completing 1 out of every 6 balls and throwing picks like hotcakes?

IMHO, Rex has done nothing but harm to Mark Sanchez' career from the start. From ridiculous pressure of predicting multiple SB wins to calling out other team's HCs. This is how you groom a top ten pick at QB who had limited starts in college? The decision to have a no threat legitimate back up in Mark Brunell, ignoring the glaring issues on the OLINE, and the harmful actions, with no disciplinary actions to S Holmes (and now Cromartie) only underlines that Rex has little clue in being a complete HC. Being a complete HC includes addressing issues on offense. Here is an article that underlines my pov. It appears that Rex has continued to learn nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...f7kj8ymDE9pEVI

INDIANAPOLIS – Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said he was surprised when his phone rang last month and it was Jets head coach Rex Ryan calling.

Ryan reached out to Young for clarification on something the ESPN analyst said on the air about Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez struggling to reach his potential under Ryan.

Young said Ryan called and asked him, "What the heck are you talking about?"

"I think it was a great conversation, really open," Young said Saturday. "I hung up and was like, 'I really respect that guy that he would call, that he would listen.' I'm sure he was like, 'maybe Steve Young's crazy,' but at least have the conversation. Him saying to me, 'I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my spot and I heard you.' I thought it was great."

Young, who is part of the four-hour "Sunday NFL Countdown" show on ESPN to preview the Super Bowl on Sunday, said he spoke to Ryan about how offenses struggle under defensive-minded head coaches. Young played for one in George Seifert with the 49ers.

"My fundamental premise is I have watched and experienced defensive-minded head coaches and their effect on offense," Young said. "I watched his dad [former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan], and I talked to him about this, and he admitted he is the same way, 'I'm a defensive coach. I coach great defense. That's what I know.' What happens is the premise is great offense needs light and sunshine. Great defense doesn't. It just doesn't. He brings great sunshine and light to his defense because that's what he knows and that's how he coaches, that's how he practices, that's how he talks. Then what happens is the offense that needs sunshine and light doesn't get it."

Young explained to him that he needs to pay more attention to his offense and his quarterback, in particular. That doesn't mean just sitting in meeting rooms either.

"I think we came to an understanding," Young said. "He said 'I don't feel like I know offense and I don't have the right to go in there.' I said it's not really about that because George Seifert tried to do that. He said you guys were a phenomenal offense with George and I gave him some insight."

The two then talked about some different teams and coaches around the league who have gone through similar transitions.

"We got to talking about [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick," Young said. "Something happened between Cleveland and the first couple of years in Boston. He had the same struggles in Cleveland. Something happened there that allowed him to make that transition."

They also discussed the Ravens, where Ryan was the defensive coordinator for four seasons before coming to the Jets.

"We got talking about Baltimore," Young said. "I think they've suffered and still suffer from strong personalities on their defense who don't mean trouble but they'll say to the offense, 'don't screw it up. If you don't screw this up, we win.' Then you call plays to not screw it up. Then you run plays not to screw it up. Then you play not to screw it up. I think the Jets are in that mold right now where the defense is like, 'don't screw it up.' I think it affects the way people play, the way they practice, the way they call plays. Our conversation was all about that."

Young said this was the first time a head coach has reached out to him about something he has said on the air.

"I thought it was great," Young said. "I was grateful for the chance to talk it out. In TV, I don't even get to say it right. … I was very impressed with his openness to philosophically what I was trying to say."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz22K0VJIPd
    Last edited by copernicus; 08-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Schotty is gone, yet we still hear about Sanchez going 8 for 20 with two INT's in practice.

Maybe Sanchez just isn't a good practice player, but it's still discouraging when you hear about rookie QB's like Luck and RG3 vastly outperforming a 4th year QB with almost 60 professional starts under his belt.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMHO, Rex has done nothing but harm to Mark Sanchez' career from the start. From ridiculous pressure of predicting multiple SB wins to calling out other team's HCs. The decision to have a no threat legitimate back up in Mark Brunell, ignoring the glaring issues on the OLINE, and the harmful actions S Holmes (and now Cromartie) only underlines that Rex has little clue in being a complete HC. Being a complete HC includes addressing issues on offense. Here is an article that underlines my pov. It appears that Rex has continued to learn nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...f7kj8ymDE9pEVI

INDIANAPOLIS – Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said he was surprised when his phone rang last month and it was Jets head coach Rex Ryan calling.

Ryan reached out to Young for clarification on something the ESPN analyst said on the air about Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez struggling to reach his potential under Ryan.

Young said Ryan called and asked him, "What the heck are you talking about?"

"I think it was a great conversation, really open," Young said Saturday. "I hung up and was like, 'I really respect that guy that he would call, that he would listen.' I'm sure he was like, 'maybe Steve Young's crazy,' but at least have the conversation. Him saying to me, 'I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my spot and I heard you.' I thought it was great."

Young, who is part of the four-hour "Sunday NFL Countdown" show on ESPN to preview the Super Bowl on Sunday, said he spoke to Ryan about how offenses struggle under defensive-minded head coaches. Young played for one in George Seifert with the 49ers.

"My fundamental premise is I have watched and experienced defensive-minded head coaches and their effect on offense," Young said. "I watched his dad [former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan], and I talked to him about this, and he admitted he is the same way, 'I'm a defensive coach. I coach great defense. That's what I know.' What happens is the premise is great offense needs light and sunshine. Great defense doesn't. It just doesn't. He brings great sunshine and light to his defense because that's what he knows and that's how he coaches, that's how he practices, that's how he talks. Then what happens is the offense that needs sunshine and light doesn't get it."

Young explained to him that he needs to pay more attention to his offense and his quarterback, in particular. That doesn't mean just sitting in meeting rooms either.

"I think we came to an understanding," Young said. "He said 'I don't feel like I know offense and I don't have the right to go in there.' I said it's not really about that because George Seifert tried to do that. He said you guys were a phenomenal offense with George and I gave him some insight."

The two then talked about some different teams and coaches around the league who have gone through similar transitions.

"We got to talking about [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick," Young said. "Something happened between Cleveland and the first couple of years in Boston. He had the same struggles in Cleveland. Something happened there that allowed him to make that transition."

They also discussed the Ravens, where Ryan was the defensive coordinator for four seasons before coming to the Jets.

"We got talking about Baltimore," Young said. "I think they've suffered and still suffer from strong personalities on their defense who don't mean trouble but they'll say to the offense, 'don't screw it up. If you don't screw this up, we win.' Then you call plays to not screw it up. Then you run plays not to screw it up. Then you play not to screw it up. I think the Jets are in that mold right now where the defense is like, 'don't screw it up.' I think it affects the way people play, the way they practice, the way they call plays. Our conversation was all about that."

Young said this was the first time a head coach has reached out to him about something he has said on the air.

"I thought it was great," Young said. "I was grateful for the chance to talk it out. In TV, I don't even get to say it right. … I was very impressed with his openness to philosophically what I was trying to say."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz22K0VJIPd
    Yeah, Rex has really stunted Mark's development by backing him up with a Top 5 defense every year that he's been in the league.

Who cares if Rex has made some bold claims in the past?

If Sanchez can't handle high expectations, then get out of the kitchen.

It's New York for f*ck sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Wow! The negative nellies are out in full force in this one.

As far as team disunity goes, this is a cakewalk to fix, and is actually good experience for Rex as he tries to grow as a coach.

The comments about Kerley are the most transparent case of trying motivate a guy since "hey let's get Wayne to start a fight with Vern". You can't read ANYTHING into those comments; if we know anything about these Jets, the real guys in trouble are the ones who get random over the top praise.

Some of you are either trying too hard to push an anti-Sanchez agenda, or are letting the media infect your thoughts. This is the first week of camp, and this is the team's best roster since the turn of the century. Just enjoy the sport/ignore the media clowns.
    I'm not negative on the season - in fact I'm quite bullish on this team..

I'm just tired of Rex's act. It's old.

He needs to start being a head coach or get the fudge out!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Out of all these tweets it is totally apparent who the competent journalists are and who the idiot with an agenda is. I am not exposed to this Cimini guy that much because I'm in Canada but does that guy ever make a tweet without a blatant dig in it? The guy sounds like a real Ass clown.

No and yes.

Yeah, Rex has really stunted Mark's development by backing him up with a Top 5 defense every year that he's been in the league.

Who cares if Rex has made some bold claims in the past?

If Sanchez can't handle high expectations, then get out of the kitchen.

It's New York for f*ck sake.
    Did you read the article? Your words underline exactly what is wrong with the development of Sanchez! REX only cares about having a top defense. End of story. When the attitude on offense is "just dont screw it up" the development of a good QB is lessened dramatically. Think they will let sanchez "air it out?" Take chances? Learn by trail and error? Not a chance when the attitude is to just "dont screw it up" on offense so the defense can win the game.

No one is denying Ryan is not a good defensive coach. He needs to be a better HC! This includes disciplinary actions to those who are detrimental to the "team" and concerns on offense.....

Hall Of Fame

With that statement right there you are agreeing with exactly what Steve Young was saying and, by extension, what Copern is saying.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Did you read the article? Your words underline exactly what is wrong with the development of Sanchez! REX only cares about having a top defense. End of story. When the attitude on offense is "just dont screw it up" the development of a good QB is lessened dramatically. Think they will let sanchez "air it out?" Take chances? Learn by trail and error? Not a chance when the attitude is to just "dont screw it up" on offense so the defense can win the game.

No one is denying Ryan is not a good defensive coach. He needs to be a better HC! This includes disciplinary actions to those who are detrimental to the "team" and concerns on offense.....
    Did you not watch last season?

We DID allow Sanchez to shoulder more of the load and take more chances, and the results were f*cking disastrous.

Until he proves that he can complete more than 55% of his passes and improve upon a 1:1 TD/turnover ratio, then why we would allow him to be the focal point of this offense?

LOL

What???

In a strange way, it's actually No Child Left Behind's fault

Did you not watch last season?

We DID allow Sanchez to shoulder more of the load and take more chances, and the results were f*cking disastrous.

Until he proves that he can complete more than 55% of his passes and improve upon a 1:1 TD/turnover ratio, then why we would allow him to be the focal point of this offense?
    Yes, I did watch last season. I am knowledgeable enough to know that Sanchez ran for his life from play ONE of the season when Wayne Hunter almost got his QB killed with his poor play. I sit on my coach and a red flag went up for Hunter after game one. What did rex do?

HC Rex Ryan IGNORED Wayne Hunter's play and had no viable back up for Mangold when he got hurt. Hunter's unacceptable play was apparent from the VERY FIRST PLAY OF THE SEASON. Sanchez was running for his life the ENTIRE SEASON! A real HC would have had a HUGE RED FLAG over Hunter from the first game and if there was no improvement something had to be done. Instead, Hunter is still on the team!!! If Rex was MORE CONCERNED with the entire team he MIGHT have benched Hunter, demanded better back ups on offense, lit a fire under Holmes' ass etc. Instead, it appears, that he ignored, and continues to ignore, EVERY issue on offense. He admits he didnt even sit in on meetings throughout the season. These are the actions of a complete HC? We get it, he is a good, even great defensive coach. But if he continues to ignore glaring issues on offense we will be looking for a new HC and direction sooner than later........
    Last edited by copernicus; 08-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.