Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Day 5 Camp Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Mostly due to craptastic safety play when Nick Collins went down.

Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams aren't exactly slouches at corner.

Yeah, there is no way the packers safeties can compare to Eric Smith and Jim Leonard.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yeah, there is no way the packers safeties can compare to Eric Smith and Jim Leonard.
    People can b*tch about Smith and Leonhard all they want, at least they are serviceable.

The Packers safeties absolutely blew last season.

Veteran
    INDIANAPOLIS – Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said he was surprised when his phone rang last month and it was Jets head coach Rex Ryan calling.

Ryan reached out to Young for clarification on something the ESPN analyst said on the air about Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez struggling to reach his potential under Ryan.

Young said Ryan called and asked him, "What the heck are you talking about?"

"I think it was a great conversation, really open," Young said Saturday. "I hung up and was like, 'I really respect that guy that he would call, that he would listen.' I'm sure he was like, 'maybe Steve Young's crazy,' but at least have the conversation. Him saying to me, 'I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my spot and I heard you.' I thought it was great."

Young, who is part of the four-hour "Sunday NFL Countdown" show on ESPN to preview the Super Bowl on Sunday, said he spoke to Ryan about how offenses struggle under defensive-minded head coaches. Young played for one in George Seifert with the 49ers.

"My fundamental premise is I have watched and experienced defensive-minded head coaches and their effect on offense," Young said. "I watched his dad [former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan], and I talked to him about this, and he admitted he is the same way, 'I'm a defensive coach. I coach great defense. That's what I know.' What happens is the premise is great offense needs light and sunshine. Great defense doesn't. It just doesn't. He brings great sunshine and light to his defense because that's what he knows and that's how he coaches, that's how he practices, that's how he talks. Then what happens is the offense that needs sunshine and light doesn't get it."

Young explained to him that he needs to pay more attention to his offense and his quarterback, in particular. That doesn't mean just sitting in meeting rooms either.

"I think we came to an understanding," Young said. "He said 'I don't feel like I know offense and I don't have the right to go in there.' I said it's not really about that because George Seifert tried to do that. He said you guys were a phenomenal offense with George and I gave him some insight."

The two then talked about some different teams and coaches around the league who have gone through similar transitions.

"We got to talking about [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick," Young said. "Something happened between Cleveland and the first couple of years in Boston. He had the same struggles in Cleveland. Something happened there that allowed him to make that transition."

They also discussed the Ravens, where Ryan was the defensive coordinator for four seasons before coming to the Jets.

"We got talking about Baltimore," Young said. "I think they've suffered and still suffer from strong personalities on their defense who don't mean trouble but they'll say to the offense, 'don't screw it up. If you don't screw this up, we win.' Then you call plays to not screw it up. Then you run plays not to screw it up. Then you play not to screw it up. I think the Jets are in that mold right now where the defense is like, 'don't screw it up.' I think it affects the way people play, the way they practice, the way they call plays. Our conversation was all about that."

Young said this was the first time a head coach has reached out to him about something he has said on the air.

"I thought it was great," Young said. "I was grateful for the chance to talk it out. In TV, I don't even get to say it right. … I was very impressed with his openness to philosophically what I was trying to say."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz22K0VJIPd
    is Steve Young Rex's secret sensei?

Did you guys miss the tweet where they said Sanchez was throwing to the backup WRs today? Perhaps that had something to do with it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...164536186.html

Whoah! Aaron Rodgers threw a pick 6 in camp to a DE today? Hope he gets cut

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Did you guys miss the tweet where they said Sanchez was throwing to the backup WRs today? Perhaps that had something to do with it.
    Was he also throwing against the 2nd team defense?

If so, that's even more cause for concern.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    But let's be honest. The Jets are really one injury (Holmes or Hill) from a scarily thin WR core.

Now, if White, Kerley, or some UDFA steps up, that is great, but as of right now you can't be too confident in the depth.

That being said, Sparano came from Miami, who prob had the worst WR depth in the league in mho.
    So is just about every team in the league.

If your #1 WR gets hurt, the team is going to take a hit no matter what team you are.

Here is what I find so crazy about the people criticzing tanny/rex for not having enough playmakers.

Many draft "experts" had Hill potentially going in the first round, and also had Coples with "major red flags".

Imagine this scenario: If the gets had grabbed Hill in the first round, making a statement that they needed playmakers, and coples experienced a free fall just like daquan bowers did the previous year (top 10 projected all the second round albeit it for injury and not attitude) and we traded up for coples, would you think differently about the team and tanny/rex's committment to the offense?

Bottom line we drafted a big time talent at an offensive position that we needed....not sure what else we can do.

Schotty is gone, yet we still hear about Sanchez going 8 for 20 with two INT's in practice.

Maybe Sanchez just isn't a good practice player, but it's still discouraging when you hear about rookie QB's like Luck and RG3 vastly outperforming a 4th year QB with almost 60 professional starts under his belt.
    Are you really taking stats from the sixth day of practice like they are some sort of Football Prospectus? Really? What's up with your anti Sanchez agenda, you seem like a logical poster otherwise..

How about giving Sanchez a shot with a new offensive coordinator when the games count before you declare he's being vastly outperformed as a quarterback by two rookies in August throwing 7 yard slant drills against UDFAs.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Here is what I find so crazy about the people criticzing tanny/rex for not having enough playmakers.

Many draft "experts" had Hill potentially going in the first round, and also had Coples with "major red flags".

Imagine this scenario: If the gets had grabbed Hill in the first round, making a statement that they needed playmakers, and coples experienced a free fall just like daquan bowers did the previous year (top 10 projected all the second round albeit it for injury and not attitude) and we traded up for coples, would you think differently about the team and tanny/rex's committment to the offense?

Bottom line we drafted a big time talent at an offensive position that we needed....not sure what else we can do.
    or better yet, traded up to get one of these players just to "prove" how serious they were about improving their WR/pass rush

Bottom line, if we don't fill every need with pro-bowlers, we're run by a bunch of incompetent fools . . .

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Great post. Jets were strongly considering Hill at #17. Most experts had him as a late first rounder. We got him in the 2nd...that shouldn't mitigate his perceived worth, or this team's perceived commitment to offense, yet somehow it does.

Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    "Reading what a defense is going to do before the ball is snapped. That’s basically the hardest adjustment (from college)." - Stephen Hill

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Are you really taking stats from the sixth day of practice like they are some sort of Football Prospectus? Really? What's up with your anti Sanchez agenda, you seem like a logical poster otherwise..

How about giving Sanchez a shot with a new offensive coordinator when the games count before you declare he's being vastly outperformed as a quarterback by two rookies in August throwing 7 yard slant drills against UDFAs.
    I've already stated that maybe it simply boils down to Sanchez not being a very good practice player.

I said numerous times months ago that unless we could land Peyton Manning, Sanchez should be our guy. I'm more than willing to give him this season to prove himself.

Still, it's not exactly encouraging to hear all of these reports of how inaccurate he still looks throwing the football.

If this team has any hopes of making a run this year, then we need Sanchez to improve upon his completion percentage and cut down on the turnovers.

Banned
    Sounds like our rookie WR in Stephen Hill had another strong training camp practice. Kid could be on the verge of becoming something special, and going up against elite coverage CB's such as Revis and Cromartie (on a daily basis) could end up becoming a blessing in disguise for Sanchez, our offense, along with Hill himself moving forward. He's learning the wide receiver position while going up against the best of the best. I like the sound of that.

I was a little worried about our backfield, but with Bilal Powell impressing as a second year player, I now believe that Shonn Greene (feature back), Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell and Tim Tebow can perform in regards to our rushing attack.

Also, there is no reason to become 'doom and gloom' in regards to our offense struggling from time to time. It's only training camp. If our defense is as advertised, there's no chance our offense (or any other offense for that matter) will have success on a consistent basis. If anything, if our offense (with a new offensive coordinator in Sparano) were having great success against our defense? It would cause for concern in regards to our defense. I'm loving what I've read (heard) regarding our defense, and feel that our offense will benefit from going up against (possibly) the best NFL defense around.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Sounds like our rookie WR in Stephen Hill had another strong training camp practice. Kid could be on the verge of becoming something special, and going up against elite coverage CB's such as Revis and Cromartie (on a daily basis) could end up becoming a blessing in disguise for Sanchez, our offense, along with Hill himself moving forward. He's learning the wide receiver position while going up against the best of the best. I like the sound of that.

I was a little worried about our backfield, but with Bilal Powell impressing as a second year player, I now believe that Shonn Greene (feature back), Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell and Tim Tebow can perform in regards to our rushing attack.

Also, there is no reason to become 'doom and gloom' in regards to our offense struggling from time to time. It's only training camp. If our defense is as advertised, there's no chance our offense (or any other offense for that matter) will have success on a consistent basis. If anything, if our offense (with a new offensive coordinator in Sparano) were having great success against our defense? It would cause for concern in regards to our defense. I'm loving what I've read (heard) regarding our defense, and feel that our offense will benefit from going up against (possibly) the best NFL defense around.
    Great post and I agree with it 100 per cent! Sanchez will improve with Sparano as his OC. The guy is driven to succeed. I never have been his biggest supporter but so many guys seem to have an agenda against him that its getting ridiculous. He can and will improve.

Jets Insider VIP
    Was he also throwing against the 2nd team defense?

If so, that's even more cause for concern.
    Fascinating how the Jets coaching staff doesn't seem to share your concern about Sanchez's play during this preseason...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Yes he is taking stats from the sixth day of camp to badger Sanchez's play and he also is totally disregarding what the coaching staff is specifically saying about Sanchez as well such as in Rex's presser today.....

IMOI it is sick that these are actually Jets fans.....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Fascinating how the Jets coaching staff doesn't seem to share your concern about Sanchez's play during this preseason...
    You mean the same coaching staff that praised Gholston for 2 consecutive preseasons?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    You mean the same coaching staff that praised Gholston for 2 consecutive preseasons?
    No I mean the same coaching staff in Rex who called out the entire Jets WR corp today for being out of shape moron!!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    No I mean the same coaching staff in Rex who called out the entire Jets WR corp today for being out of shape moron!!!!
    It's always someone elses fault, never the QB. And why go to name calling? You can't handle the truth? You little b!tch!