Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Any Skrillex Fans in the Hampur?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Any Skrillex Fans in the Hampur?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

    ^^^One of his more popular songs for the hampurites who probably have not heard of him. You'll probably have a seizure, so just warning you in advance.

    The first time I listened to some of his stuff I said "wtf is this $h1t?!?!?" and then my older brother told me "it's an acquired taste." And he was right. Now I can't get enough of the zombie music after being patient with it. I don't expect the older crowd to like him at all.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,723
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

    ^^^One of his more popular songs for the hampurites who probably have not heard of him. You'll probably have a seizure, so just warning you in advance.

    The first time I listened to some of his stuff I said "wtf is this $h1t?!?!?" and then my older brother told me "it's an acquired taste." And he was right. Now I can't get enough of the zombie music after being patient with it. I don't expect the older crowd to like him at all.
    Don't they play that real loud 24/7 at Guantanamo to make terrorists talk?

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Don't they play that real loud 24/7 at Guantanamo to make terrorists talk?
    I'd be a happy prisoner. But in limited doses. It's friggin' intense.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    887
    Post Thanks / Like
    I listen to him here and there I'm more of a Deadmau5 Fan

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post
    I listen to him here and there I'm more of a Deadmau5 Fan
    Deadmau5 is my actually my favorite artist right now. People compare Skrillex & dm5 ad nauseam because they seem to be the two biggest household names in the whole electronica genre. But they are really different so the comparisons are annoying.

    Strobe is one of the most unreal tracks I've ever heard. Ten minutes of musical ecstasy.

    **I highly recommed everyone give this song [vvv] a listen.** You probably won't regret it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUgfiesTuw
    Last edited by MCBNY; 08-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not really a fan, but i was very impressed by this band.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuunY8BTqNs

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,943
    Post Thanks / Like

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    29,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't, but I'd give him a listen.
    I've seen him more in gifs than I have listened to his music lol

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    29,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    had to post this



  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's just a baller.


  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since we're talking trance, one of my favorite new artists is Madeon. He's an 18 year old phenom from France. What I like about him is he has the heavy thumping beats that Skrillex has, but he also has the more musical/melodic sound like deadmau5. Can't wait til he releases more stuff.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqiB4IWQgNA

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCja-dHi6NI

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    29,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    So can someone please tell me what the hell the difference is between trance, rave, electronica, dubstep, etc. It seems like every day someone else is pulling a new genre out of their asses.

    I don't knot if it would be considered the same or not, but I love Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Lords Of Acid. Massive Attack, etc.

    Thanks for posting these though, I've always wanted to him a listen, but keep forgetting to check it out.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    He's just a baller.


  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So can someone please tell me what the hell the difference is between trance, rave, electronica, dubstep, etc. It seems like every day someone else is pulling a new genre out of their asses.

    I don't knot if it would be considered the same or not, but I love Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Lords Of Acid. Massive Attack, etc.

    Thanks for posting these though, I've always wanted to him a listen, but keep forgetting to check it out.
    The genres are confusing as ****. I don't even understand them all.

    Trance/Electronica I feel are synonymous. Just anything electronic with a nice beat that's kinda "trance" inducing. That's my definition at least.

    Dubstep is very distinct - more loud and f*cked up sounding with bigger beats that are "dropped." The drop is when the music just turns into chaos. For example, the drop in "Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites" would be around 40 seconds in. Skrillex is more dubstep than trance. Skrillex does not put me in a nice, easy trance. He makes my ****ing blood boil, as he should.

    ---If there are people who can define the genres better/correct what I said, feel free.---

    Also, wikipedia should probably give you more distinct and specific definitions about the genres and their histories and all that fun stuff.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I don't knot if it would be considered the same or not, but I love Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Lords Of Acid. Massive Attack, etc.
    You forgot Daft Punk

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Deadmau5 is my actually my favorite artist right now. People compare Skrillex & dm5 ad nauseam because they seem to be the two biggest household names in the whole electronica genre. But they are really different so the comparisons are annoying.

    Strobe is one of the most unreal tracks I've ever heard. Ten minutes of musical ecstasy.

    **I highly recommed everyone give this song [vvv] a listen.** You probably won't regret it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUgfiesTuw
    People who compare Skrillex grungey electronica to Deadmau5 obviously don't understand the genre ...

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    394
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite dubstep artists is Mt. Eden. His music is more relaxed and not as "loud" and "crazy".

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    29,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    The genres are confusing as ****. I don't even understand them all.

    Trance/Electronica I feel are synonymous. Just anything electronic with a nice beat that's kinda "trance" inducing. That's my definition at least.

    Dubstep is very distinct - more loud and f*cked up sounding with bigger beats that are "dropped." The drop is when the music just turns into chaos. For example, the drop in "Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites" would be around 40 seconds in. Skrillex is more dubstep than trance. Skrillex does not put me in a nice, easy trance. He makes my ****ing blood boil, as he should.

    ---If there are people who can define the genres better/correct what I said, feel free.---

    Also, wikipedia should probably give you more distinct and specific definitions about the genres and their histories and all that fun stuff.
    That's kinda what I figured - I just call it all 'techno' in my playlist anyway.
    I could also rename it (as well as my entire ipod) as 'music my wife hates'
    Listening to 'Deadmau5' right now - loving it.

    Lately I've been turned onto a lot more instrumental type music, as frankly I think it provides a good background noise in which to do stuff around the house, or get work done in the office.


    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    You forgot Daft Punk

    Yes - need to get more music from them as well.

    Junkie XL is another I had forgotten.

    Any other artists anyone wishes to recommend is appreciated.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,943
    Post Thanks / Like

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Any Skrillex Fans in the Hampur?
    Funny you'd ask that, on the drive this morning, I was listening to a Skrillex/Damien tune on Siriuis (a remix I think), a vert Techo-Rasta thing I quite liked.

    Given my hippie Floydian tendencies, I tend to prefer trance and ambient, but I rarely seek it out, usually just catch it on radio. But a good speedy techno tune with a crushing beat and baseline is always fun too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us